High Pay, No Work, All Glory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I look at audio in different ways on different days.
--The knowledge aspect. I like learning new things. I find that I run on about a four to seven year cycle. I get itchy if I've been sitting still too long and I'll cast about for a totally new field to learn. Beekeeping was one such episode. Brewing was another. Woodworking. Many others. I retain at least some of what I learn from each excursion, even if my overall interest wanes later. Electronics--specifically audio-related--is one of a handful of topics that seem to keep me interested over the long haul.
--The craft aspect. Meaning in this case the actual building of the circuit. Do a tidy layout for the PCB artwork. Etch a pretty board. Solder well. Place the components on the board so that the nomenclature can be read (ever tried to service a board when you don't know what the value is and have to unsolder the part to read it?). Etc. I don't have much in the way of metalworking skills, but who knows?...maybe that'll be my next field to explore.
--The larger strategic aspect, meaning how the building blocks fit together. Do I want to bi-amp? Quad-amp? How many sources? How does the system fit into the room? Things like that.
--Listening to music on something I conceived, designed, and built is a blast. I enjoy the music, but take extra pleasure from listening on something that I thought up in my own noggin and built with my own hands.
--And the...for want of a better term...social aspect. There's no one anywhere near me to talk audio with. I've got people who call me and ask questions or want me to do things and that's cool, I like to try to get them squared away (like the Hurricane amp I fixed a little while back), and yet...it's nice to be able to talk to other people about this stuff.
I once posted that I played with sandcastles. The tide comes in and washes them away. The next day I go out and build more sandcastles. Overhead, the seagulls glide and twist in the wind and care not a whit. Several people seized on that post as evidence that I'd lost my mind. Possibly so. But they missed the point, whether accidentally or on purpose. My point was that this stuff doesn't really matter. We're not going to bring about world peace by doing this, we're not going to feed starving people, we're not going to cure diseases. It's just a hobby. Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of that. But then I think of the seagulls. They could care less if someone builds a sandcastle. That sense of detachment comes in handy sometimes. Not Jonathan Livingston Seagull; an ordinary gull is sufficient to provide perspective when looking at sandcastles.
I don't recall ever asking for someone to be banned from the site. There's no rule, per se, against snide, insulting, pompous remarks. That doesn't mean that such talk isn't annoying. With luck, I remain at least partially detached...looking down on the scene like a seagull.
People ask me why I don't have a website. Seems like every author in the known universe has one but me, and quite a few of the audio folk. I've got things I could put in there, I suppose, including a few circuits that I've never posted here. But at least for the time being I'm content to post things here, the Mini-A and the Aleph-X being the best known, I suppose. The problem with a website wouldn't be lack of content, but lack of contact. It's interesting to see what people respond to and what they don't. So, for me, DIY serves a purpose. Besides, I get to see what Nelson Pass, John Curl, and others have to say, and that's pretty cool.
That's not to say that there aren't members who are annoying. There are. And, unfortunately, the ignore function is not a solution, because if people respond to something to the person you're "ignoring" you have no idea what's going on. It gets confusing, fast.
So it's back to trying to remember to be like a seagull. Some days I'm better at being a seagull than others.
Bummer, but there it is.

Grey

I completly understand what you mean about craftmenship. I love fixing amplifiers. I mean i love it. I have not found anything short of womanly comforts that i enjoy more then something i repaired come to life. If i had the skills of the great ones to be able to design and build my own from scratch. i imagine that to be an even better feeling.

I take absolute pride in the amplifiers i rebuild. and my thirst for knowledge is unbelieveable. for YEARS i had no one to talk to about audio. No one to ask questions, no mentors at all available to me. I learned by reading EVERYTHING many many times. tearing things apart and venturing out on my own.

My biggest educational progress came from the discovery of Audio Amature magazines! I was at a swap meet and had seen a big Fender amp schematic book a guy was selling and while working the deal for the ourchase of the book, he reccomeded i check out his milk crate of A.A. and Speaker builder mags, I bought the whole crate plus more from the guy (He told me he was Ex JBL guy). I didnt even look at the mags for a few months. then one day i started thumbing threw them and i was hooked. i read every issue cover to cover several times over. sometimes i wouldnt understand something. and then months later i would read some other article and it would click and i would go back and re-read everything again with new understanding. This was audio heaven for me.

And whom ever that guy was at the swap meet, Sweet lord i thank you!

I get that same feeling from this website. i have learned a great deal from info here and i have even been able to converse with several people whose articles i read in A.A. Bill Ruck and N.P. to name a few!

I still have so many questions that it is hard not to make 100 post's a day. and it is frustrating sometimes when you can get or find the answers you are looking for. I thank everyone here that has ever helped me! Overall people here have been very helpfull.

MAN I am bummed i missed out on the N.P. Job. I would give up my day job and live in VW bus if i had to to work for Pass. and i seriously would pay to vacation out at the pass ranch and sweep floors, match parts, repair whatever it takes!

I think N.P has this all wrong. he shouldnt be PAYING people to work for him, he just needs to restructure it to be Pass Boot camp!

I can see it now! Celebrity Vacations presents the Pass Labs Audio Vacation package!

Think of it, he could have an endless supply of DIY guys coming out for 1-2 week stints and having these guys pay HIM to do it!

NOW that is a vacation i would dream of! Where do i sign up, my credit card is already in my hand!

Zc

Variac said:
When I started my little architecture office, I LOVED printing out the labels and wrapping the drawings and making the prints. Even buying my own boxes of red pens! There IS some kind of satisfaction in sweeping the floor to help your prized employees do their best work.

In fact a friend of mine worked at a big and creative computer company and was talking about a manager that was not "real Manager" material, but was good to work for because the guy did everything to help his employees produce their best. My friend thought of him as too much of a servant rather than a visionary leader. The more I thought about the guy the more I thought that he might really be a great manager- he solved all the problems and beauracratic hassles so people could do their job!

You got it exactly. A good floor manager is the grease in the wheels and cogs, an amateur pshycologist, is able to fix issues without making people feel bad, gets the needed bits to finish a job, keeps herd on the cats, fires people who need to be fired with no emotional attachement or the like, and keeps everyone happy, ie a good adjucator and person to take issues and problems to, knows a bit to alot about every single job or placement, and they never get angry at anyone. Toughest job in the building, toughest shoes to fill. They make the entire place work. If this person is not good at what they do, the entire workplace is far less efficent. Their value to the specific workplace is nearly incalulable.

:)

There are many reasons, people are angry and bad.
Bad towards others.
And they can not be positive and content with them selfes.
A low self esteem is a very common reason
So I disregard quite a few comments here.

Not all would be able to say:
I have no doubt I could contribute a couple of new and good ideas,
even for the high level Pass Laboratories.

... and truly believe in it ;)

The Lamp of the Body

"No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl.
Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light.

Your eye is the lamp of your body.
When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light.
But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness.

See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.

Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark,
it will be completely lighted,
as when the light of a lamp shines on you."

:) I sincerely express my Thank You to all kind people.
You will know within your body
if my thank you is for you, my friend.
And when ever you are in need of my support
you can count on me to try to do my duty.
At least, if you think I here tell the truth and is no liar.

lineup

There are many reasons, people are angry and bad.
The single, best reason for me to be angry at someone, is if he wastes other peoples time. In this world, working like mad and having next to no time for our precious hobbies, I have no time for distractions. Whenever I answer some guys question on this forum, I ask myself: Will this bring the fellow closer to finishing his project? If not, I dont say anything;)

Steen:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Indeed:) 55 lines of not telling anything, cant help anyone?? Or did I misunderstand something along the way?

Steen:)

basic fact is ,say,that you can write 100 lines as answer to my post,without telling much or even telling anything (in short-you can just teasing me) - under condition that we are already familiar or enough "intimate".......(proper word?)
but,that level of intimacy must be established and earned first...... ;)

To those who live different realities let them be and let’s share this space that is open to all with no distinction of race, color or religion.

Let’s continue meeting on this wonderful cyberspace and do our 2c contributions as usual. And to those I have offended please accept my apologies. :angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.