HIFIDIY CD Transport Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Problem CDPRO2m Big

I have a problem at CD PRO2 Big. After I start him The display lighter with 50% less that normaly and at each 10 seconds the numbers on the display are distorting. Can somebody tell me what is the cause and how can I repair it.

Thank you!
Best regards,
Vitali

Hi :

I would like to address this question to Candy from HifiDiy aswell :
I have built the Mini CD Pro2 last year and have been listening now for about half a year. I encounter the following 2 problems :
1) when I press POWER ON, the counter will start counting, but no sound ! I have to POWER OFF and then POWER ON again to get music out of it. So everytime I have to do the following procedure (power on, power off, power on). I have tried this with/without door open/closed.
2) I have noticed that the first track of every CD is played perfectly, details, soundstage, etc, BUT then the following tracks always sound a bit less : dull, blurred.*

*thought the problem was myself, but again and again I hear this with different CDs.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

Thanks in advance for helping out.

Best regards,
NG
PS: I have used the re-clock option on the board itself with and independent powersupply.

I have a little problem with Big CDpro....

Everyting fine, check the cdpro supply 9and 5 volt.
Display seems working fine.
14.3 and 5 volt display are find.

But the motor is not spin/any movement at all.
The optic seems moving fine.

The display says loading ... Please wait ... And wait...

So ... It is not spinning at all.

Does anyone has this probelm before?

Cal

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have a similar problem with the mini-cd pro, except that the disc does spin twice and the display reads "no disc". The problem popped up after about 6 months of trouble-free operations. I had the boards checked out with another CD-Pro unit and I was told they worked fine, so I sent the CD-Pro back to Enco, thinking it had developed a fault. Haven't heard back from them yet. Good luck with yours.

I have a similar problem with the mini-cd pro, except that the disc does spin twice and the display reads "no disc". The problem popped up after about 6 months of trouble-free operations. I had the boards checked out with another CD-Pro unit and I was told they worked fine, so I sent the CD-Pro back to Enco, thinking it had developed a fault. Haven't heard back from them yet. Good luck with yours.

Have you heard from them yet? I am also thinking of buying the Mini CD-pro2 kit and mount in with a CD-Pro2LF.

How does this drive sounds compared to other drives in the same price range? With others drives I mean pre-assembled drives from well established audio manufacturers like Musical Fidelity, CEC, etc.

I am thinking about building the HIFIDIY BIG CDPRO 2LF and was wondering about the best way to modify it for ultimate performance and which way round to do the mods.

Power supply, clock upgrade etc. I want a transport to feed my Audio Note Dac 4-1 so best quality components needed.

Thanks,

Alex.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Have you heard from them yet? I am also thinking of buying the Mini CD-pro2 kit and mount in with a CD-Pro2LF.

How does this drive sounds compared to other drives in the same price range? With others drives I mean pre-assembled drives from well established audio manufacturers like Musical Fidelity, CEC, etc.

The problem turned out to be a fried laser in the CD-Pro unit. No idea what caused it, but Chris Bisha at Enco Systems was extremely kind and replaced the unit at no cost. Now the transport is functioning normally.

Is there a circuit diagram available for the CD-pro2 kit. I would like to see what components are upgradable and purchase them before I get the kit in case I get too impatient to wait for them after I get the kit.

Thanks, Alex.

I was not able to find it, there is only a building description available.

I just finished building mine. This is a upgraded version. Is is upgraded with better capacitors, mains filter, modified suspension, enhanced disk clamp, and ferrite rings for HF noise rejection.

Nichicon gold tune (3300 uf) are replaced by Panasonic FC caps (4400 uf).
Also some 100 uf Nichicon muse caps are replaced by Panasonic FC, same values.

How does it sound? Well i haven't listened to the transport yet. This evening I will compare it to the Rega apollo that I'm currently using as a transport. For this test I will use my Rega Dac, Linn Exotik Pre-amp an Linn Majik 2100 power amp and Focal 816W special edition loudspeakers.
Unfortunately I cannot compare it with the Transport before the upgrades, so I can not even know for sure that it was really a upgrade and not a downgrade. I bought it here. This guy seems to know how to build great cd-players, so I fully trusted on his experience.

I was not able to find it, there is only a building description available.

I just finished building mine. This is a upgraded version. Is is upgraded with better capacitors, mains filter, modified suspension, enhanced disk clamp, and ferrite rings for HF noise rejection.

Nichicon gold tune (3300 uf) are replaced by Panasonic FC caps (4400 uf).
Also some 100 uf Nichicon muse caps are replaced by Panasonic FC, same values.

How does it sound? Well i haven't listened to the transport yet. This evening I will compare it to the Rega apollo that I'm currently using as a transport. For this test I will use my Rega Dac, Linn Exotik Pre-amp an Linn Majik 2100 power amp and Focal 816W special edition loudspeakers.
Unfortunately I cannot compare it with the Transport before the upgrades, so I can not even know for sure that it was really a upgrade and not a downgrade. I bought it here. This guy seems to know how to build great cd-players, so I fully trusted on his experience.

Thanks for the info, I have seen the Site and was thinking of purchasing from them or direct from China. I have seen the component list, but still nice to have a circuit

Thanks for the info, I have seen the Site and was thinking of purchasing from them or direct from China. I have seen the component list, but still nice to have a circuit

I agree. If you have some experience in soldering I suggest you order it from China and build it yourself. I do not have a circuit diagram, but i can provide you detailed pictures if you would need any help.

As I'm listening this very moment, I know one thing for sure. The transport is more detailed then the Apollo. The apollo on the other hand sounds sweeter. I will let it play for a few days to burn it in. First impressions are ok.

I agree. If you have some experience in soldering I suggest you order it from China and build it yourself. I do not have a circuit diagram, but i can provide you detailed pictures if you would need any help.

As I'm listening this very moment, I know one thing for sure. The transport is more detailed then the Apollo. The apollo on the other hand sounds sweeter. I will let it play for a few days to burn it in. First impressions are ok.

I will get the kit from China as I have all the soldering kit, even small tips for SMD work.

I will try to get a circuit diagram from Aune as I would like to use all schottky diodes and maybe uprate the capacitors. If I get stuck with anything may I contact you for photo`s and a possible Chinese to English translation.
Your unit is most likely burning in, so will sound better over a week or so.

Kind regards, Alex.

Is there a circuit diagram available for the CD-pro2 kit. I would like to see what components are upgradable and purchase them before I get the kit in case I get too impatient to wait for them after I get the kit.

Thanks, Alex.
There are various versions. Check out this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...f-why-various-die-casting-carrier-design.html
from certainly versions schematics are online (maybe hifidiy.cn/hifidiy.net).
Go therefore to post #6 of the previous mentioned URL.

But the best way is to find out a commercial product, where this mechanism is inside. Then you can order from this company the service manual.
From the predecessor "VAM1252" I have find out the Marantz model "CD-7" (CD7). Servicemanual therefore is online available (hifimanuals/hifiengine or whatever). Maybe there are also Marantz models for the VAM1254/CDproII/CDproIILF and thus available the appropriate schematic diagrams.

Very interesting for me would be, to know the currently manufacturer of this mechanism and his address of fabrication.

Yes, definitely wait.

VAM1202 is very, very poor quality. Complete junk for a transport from what I have seen in the field. These are extremely variable in HF level and quality. The eye pattern is very noisy.

Avoid these transports!

-Chris
I make the same observation by the most currently produced parts. But if I can find NOS parts from Philips, this issue isn't present.
By the CDM12.4 head the situation is the same. But if I order a complete mechanism from the Marantz CD-7 and dismounting the head, I haven't any problems (perfect behaviour in all respects). Unfortunately the costs are more than 300 Euro for the complete mechanism VAM1252 because the CDM12.4 head from the VAM1252 isn't available separately.
I have therefore start this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...lt0h30pa-inside-philips-cdm12-vam12-mech.html

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think Almeg69 means a the diagrams of the Hifidiy mini cdpro2 transport kit. Not the diagrams of the cdpro2.
The drive is also not icluded when the kit is purchased.

To Almeg69:
Please let me know if you find the diagrams, I'm also interested in them.

I tried several times to get a schematic from HiFiDiy people, but they were not very forthcoming. At first they promised to send one, and when they finally did, it was incorrect, and they admitted as much when I asked them about it. Further requests went unacknowledged. Unfortunately I lost the incorrect one when my computer ate a year's worth of emails without warning.:(

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have sent an Email to Hifidiy requesting the circuit diagram, so will wait and see. I will order one in a week or two so may get the circuit with it ....

As I remember you do get a diagram, but the one I got was a virtually unreadable xerox, so that's why I requested an electronic one - which was the incorrect one I mentioned earlier. The xerox and the electronic version were identical but didn't match the board.

I think Almeg69 means a the diagrams of the Hifidiy mini cdpro2 transport kit. Not the diagrams of the cdpro2.
The drive is also not icluded when the kit is purchased.
I don't understand, what you mean.
about
Mini CD pro-2 Transport [Mini CD pro2] - $480.00 : hifidiy.net
I read follow:
"CD-Pro2 laser pickup module not included"
this means for me, the transport kit includes at least follow PCB devices:
- mains transformer
- regulators for PS
- PCM decoding PCB include RF amp ICs, servo drive units and interface for the custom made operating micro controller unit/VFD display driver
- MCU-unit include VFD display driver and VFD display
- remote control

but probably is meant by the term "laser pick up module" not only the actually laser pick up unit as to find about
http://www.ersatzteil.justone-schnepel.de/html/philips-6_lasereinheit.html
rather the completly CDM2pro device include the associated RF/PCM-decoding/servo drive mainboard ("Chinese English" was always vague).

On such ambiguous description I get annoyed again and again.

Last edited:
Review upgraded mini cd-pro2 transport

It is also time for my review, since I have been listening to the transport for two weeks and it should be burned in by now.

The kit I ordered was already soldered en tested. It is also upgraded with some better capacitors, netfiltering, better cables, ferrite rings for HF screening, rubbers for better suspension and a enhanced disk clamp.

Building
This was a fairly easy job, considering that all parts were soldered to the pcb's. There were no instructions, but they can be found here. All parts fitted perfect. But some adjustments where made to the actual placing of some components. The was because the standard power inlet was replaced by a Schurter power entry module with filter the transformer needed to be mounted a bit further to the front.
Another adjustment was made at the cd-pro mounting plate. Normally this plate rests on metal springs, but there where special rubbers added for better shock absorbency. The four holes for mounting the plate onto the pins where drilled out a bit to hold the rubbers in place . In this way the rubber falls partly into the hole and therefor the metal plate can never touch the metal pins. In other words, it is now perfectly floating plate.
The open/close switch was mounted on the left side of the cover plate and therefor the cover plate would not fit nicely onto the chassis. The switch rested in one of the pins for the cd-pro mounting plate. So the switch had to move to the right side, no problems here.
With every component installed it was time to start measuring the voltages, then hook everything up and start listening.

Upgrades
  • Normal power entry --> Power entry with filter
  • Nichicon gold tune (3300 uf) caps --> Panasonic FC caps (4400 uf).
  • Nichicon muse (100 uf) caps--> Panasonic FC, same values.
  • Ferrite rings added on all DC power cables
  • Added rubbers for a better suspension
  • Enhanced disk clamp, with rubber ring for better grip.

First impressions
Detailed but a bit harsh and a bit too clinical. Well it were first impressions and I was used to a Rega Appollo as my drive. This sounds warmer and sweeter, but with a bit less detail. My conclusions at that time where that it needed some burning in and I also needed to get used to the new and different sound of this transport.

After two weeks of listening
The transport has played for many hours now and I heard it for many ours too, so I'm getting quite used to the new sound. Over the past two weeks it started to sound better and better. The harsh sound I experienced at first did fade away over time and it started to become more lively. At first it did not get me involved into the music as the Apollo did but now it certainly does. The sound stage has become bigger and there is even more detail. At least it makes me feel that way.
At some times with certain music like some very well recorder rock music I got the feeling that it was missing some things and then I started to wonder if the Rega Apollo would sound better. At this moments I switched to the Apollo and listened to the same track(s) again. At first I tended to like the Apollo more, but right now I always switch back to the cd-pro after just one track. when the cd-pro is playing again it is very clear that it get me much more involved then the Apollo. It also shows much more detail from the music, especially with complicated musical parts. Here the Apollo messes things up and sound very compact compared to the CD-pro2. This transport is much more open and transparent and at the same time very convincing.

Conclusion
For me it is absolutely money well spend! The Rega is going on sale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.