HIFIDIY CD Transport Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all,
I am planning to build a "Frankenstein"-player with a DAC-Board
from a Parasound DA/C 1500. I like the "warm" sound of the PCM-63 very much.
My first "corpses" are two CDP-102 from ebay, second generation players from `85. I bought them because of the tray.
It is excellently build, full metal, running on steel rods, those trays were used in many High-End players fromthe mid-eighties, i.e. Accuphase.

The CDP-102 use the magnetic linear mechanism no gears or other moving parts), which is not built any more. I would like to use it, but lasers available anymore...

So the mechanisms using the KSS-210/240 are a way to go?
But I guess the CDP-102 tray will not fit on those mechanisms.

On many photographs, the gear driving the KSS-210/240 laser looks like it has the same height as the laser.
Or am I wrong?
Which Motors do the KSS-240 assemblies use? Mabuchi?
All the best,
Salar

Hi HIFIDIY
I have ordered your Big Cd pro-2 yesterday. Looks like a high quality product.
Do the pusbuttons on the front panel have light around them as I have seen on some picture when this proyect was under construction?
Does the magnetic levitation suspension of the CD unit not affect the electronic circuitry?
I am looking for a matching case in black billet aluminum for the DAC. I have only found thlaudio making one . Do you know of any other manufacturer who can supply 43cm wide case?

Hi HIFIDIY
I have ordered your Big Cd pro-2 yesterday. Looks like a high quality product.
Do the pusbuttons on the front panel have light around them as I have seen on some picture when this proyect was under construction?
Does the magnetic levitation suspension of the CD unit not affect the electronic circuitry?
I am looking for a matching case in black billet aluminum for the DAC. I have only found thlaudio making one . Do you know of any other manufacturer who can supply 43cm wide case?

hello Eften, yes, and the goods had been send to you by EMS on 8th already, about the case, i have no idea about this, about the assembly instructions about the big CD pro please check the link:
Hifidiy BIg CD pro Assembly instructions

I built one of these.
had to replace the laser assbly. to get it to go.
Now plays ok-sound excellent.
I have MANY CDs and there are a few it refuses to play some of which it reads the TOC,others it does nothing.
they all play on other players.
Its a good cheap transport.

CDM12 Transport

I have also built one of these several years ago. It was the kit with the upgraded components. The build is not terribly difficult, but the assembly instructions online were not then as good as now. I had no problems assembling it and breaking it in, aside from a few adjustments needed to the mechanical aspects of the microswitch on the sliding cover. It has worked flawlessly since without any issues.

I am generally not going in the direction of cd, but PC based, so I do not use it that often. It is good to have, though. I feed it into an NOS TDA1541A dac and the sound is excellent and not too far off my SB3 and Pace Car feeding i2s to the same chip. That says a lot about the sonic quality of this trransport. I would not call this a cheap transport in any sense, based on purchase price, time to build it and the results. Rather, it might be called a high value proposition.

About the laser mechanism itself, it is the common Philips, but then again a lot of high end players use the same or similar mechanism. Even the vaunted Pro version of the laser is pretty much the same thing in an aluminum case. Should it go bad, it is relatively inexpensive to replace and easily sourced, also from Hifidiy if need be. Thus far, it works just fine for me and I am happy that I built it successfully and can enjoy it.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to a reasonably skilled builder. I also have experience with other kits from this company, and they are quite good in design and execution, as well as overall quality. Again, a high value proposition that is fun to build and then enjoy.

Big Cd pro assembled

I did find a nice billet aluminum case thlaudio web site pages
for my new DAC here.
I have assembled the the big CD pro from HIFIDIY. Fairly straightaway to put together, only the sliding door needed some massaging, because the rail where the nylon bar slides along was not deep enough. Had to make myself smaller barr out of Teflon, and now it is ok.
I am stuck with the modding of the CD 2 pro, where only one picture with some chinese text is all there is to explain it. Her is the picture. can someone explain what ist says?
I presume that the three yellow rings mean that these elements have to be removed, but I want to be sure before taking an irreversible step.
Here is the picture I am talking about.
Anyone understanding chinese to translate?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
HELLLLP!! I'm building a Mini CD-Pro2 transport kit from Hifidiy (Mini CD-Pro2 Transport kit Assembly). It's a substantial, great looking kit, but I'm having trouble with it. I got it put together, but all I get is buzzing, crackling and distant sound. Other digital sources play through the board with no problem. I get no sound when I take the S/PDIF output directly from the Philips unit to the DAC. Replacing the Philips unit made no difference (note: CD-Pro2 supplier ENCO Systems - ENCO SYSTEMS - Your first stop for CD jukebox service - is GREAT with customer service)

Hifidiy is trying to help but they seem kind of baffled too. Anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
A follow-up - after much back and forth, my Hifidiy transport is up and running, and it sounds absolutely smashing through my Hagerman Chime DAC. Many thanks to Candy and Lei Song (who is male, for those who wondered - I know there are some) whose patience and persistent good humor were much appreciated.

The problem was probably a broken trace in the board, which I caused when I flexed the board to make it fit in the case. Hifidiy was good enough to replace my board with a fully populated one (which, strangely enough, fit fine in the case without flexing). I would highly recommend this kit to anyone looking for a high-performance, reasonably priced redbook-CD only transport.

I did build the HIFIDIY Big CDpro2 transport and it is working flawlessly. I like the looks and the big dial which you can see across the room.
The supplied parts are first class and only require some mechanical fitting for the sliding cover and the mechanism magnetic base to get it to float absolutely free of any rubbing.

It was not difficult to put together and except for some errors on my side and some chinese translation problems, it all came out perfect and it is working to my 100% satisfaction.

What did not come out of the box perfect was the CDpro2 LF mechanism.
When installed in the player I noticed a lot of noise from the reading head due to wobble of the cd when it was playing, with the head tracking mechanism working itself crazy to follow the CD surface.
After checking with a comparator dial I saw that the platter was not running true.
I had to pry the platter off the motor axle and build a small fixture to fit it to a lathe.
It took some removing of plastic off the platter to make it run at right angle to the shaft hole and made it run as flat as I could, with only 0.01mm of wobble at the edge of the platter.
Fitted the platter to the motor axle (press fit, so a temporary stop had to be fabricated as not to overshoot and push the platter too far onto the shaft), rechecked with the comparator dial and from then on it is running very quiet and flat.

So if you are installing this Philips mechanism I would check that first.

I am outputting the I2S signal from the BigCDpro2 to my DDDAC with 60 paralell TDA1543 and a remote controllable attenuator using a LDR's . Feeding directly from the DAC to the 300B SET monos. So very little in the way between the analog output of the DAC and the power amplifier. No need for preamp.
Sounds very good.
See more pictures in my Gallery

Attachments

• IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    749.6 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    588.9 KB · Views: 416
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Holy cow! That big unit looks like a prop from "Transformers"! I haven't had a chance to compare them, but I can't imagine the big unit being twice as good as the mini. I have noticed similar issues with the Philips CD Pro unit (rotating noises), but only on reading, never during playback, and only with some discs.

Hello, this is Candy from HIFIDIY, thanks for that, yes, it means:
remove the three yellow rings, then remove the black part of the crystal, then remove the middle parts of the crystal.

I think you know more between the differences of both various mechanical versions from the model VAU1254/31 - for photo series (photo gallerie) of this versions go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...f-why-various-die-casting-carrier-design.html
thank you for your informations

I did find a nice billet aluminum case thlaudio web site pages
for my new DAC here.
I have assembled the the big CD pro from HIFIDIY. Fairly straightaway to put together, only the sliding door needed some massaging, because the rail where the nylon bar slides along was not deep enough. Had to make myself smaller barr out of Teflon, and now it is ok.
I am stuck with the modding of the CD 2 pro, where only one picture with some chinese text is all there is to explain it. Her is the picture. can someone explain what ist says?
I presume that the three yellow rings mean that these elements have to be removed, but I want to be sure before taking an irreversible step.
Here is the picture I am talking about.
Anyone understanding chinese to translate?
If you have a new version of ABBYY's "Finereader" you can convert this text in doc based file and then you can use google's language tools.
An other question:
In the genuine datasheet folder of the VAU1254/31 from daisylaser the schematic diagram is missing. Do you have get it in the meantime?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.