Hi-End and Hi-Efficency loudspeakers (horn + onken)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some help. I'm ignorant about horns for compression drivers and I saw there are so many around (including wave guides) enough to make me confused. I'd like to understand why some projects on Onken adopt large horns and in others a smaller one, like the one Audiodesign selected. Is it because in some projects is selected a different frequency crossing point in the system?

apelizzo said:
I need some help. I'm ignorant about horns for compression drivers and I saw there are so many around (including wave guides) enough to make me confused. I'd like to understand why some projects on Onken adopt large horns and in others a smaller one, like the one Audiodesign selected. Is it because in some projects is selected a different frequency crossing point in the system?

There are two basic functions that a Horn/waveguide provide, improved loading and directivty control. A horn is dominately a loading device with little directivity control and a waveguide is dominately a directivity controlling device, but it also has significant loading. In both cases the effectiveness depends on the size of the device to the wavelengths involved. Once either gets to be too small compared to a wavelength it doesn't load or control directivity very well.

Andrea, can you please confirm your opinion on the parameters of the SM115/N on your website.
-----------------------------
not very good linearity (a dent at 350Hz)

Fs=29Hz (a little high) ???? why a little high

Sensitivity=95-99dB (low) The datasheet states 98dB

Mms=77gr (good)

Min. Imp = 7.4ohm
----------------------

I used Onken calculator and I got:
F3 38.95Hz
97.085dB
and Svent 608 which is closer to Sd more then 512 on Celestion
The box is 256 litres though still not too large IMO.
Also one of the conditions in the Onken calculation is Svent=Sd or Svent no more then 15% smaller of Sd. What would be the consequence if you calculate 512 to be ~40% smaller then Celestion's Sd?

apelizzo said:
Hi There,

I just got 3 original Electro Voice horns Model HP9040 today in immaculate condition all for $120 from a cinema. Are they any good with the CP380M and adaptor in this project with the Celestion 15" FTR15-3070C?

http://www.electrovoice.com/documents/ev/hp9040-eds.pdf

That is a nice horn for mid range use the 2"BMS 4591 High qaulity good price. So do not use with the 1 inch beyma.

And combine a super tweeter as the eminence apt80. Nice price very good response and shorthorn important to prevent the horn to colour the sound.
apt80

Regards Helmuth

The simulation with WinISD give a different result

Using the same voluem and same Fb

the vent leght is 43cm instead of 34.5 or 47cm of exceel

Attachments

• Calc1.gif
    Calc1.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 885
Hello Andrea,

sorry I am late to this, but why not B&C speakers...from Italy?

HF: DE-400TN-8 (B&C HF drivers DE400TN & DE35 - [English])

LF: (they have several 15 to chose from that can do 40-2000Hz and 97-100 db/w/m), 15HPL76, 15NDL76, 15NW76, 15PL100, 15PLB76, 15PS76...

They even offer a 2-way kit called Box 15 that can be the base for a design like this.

thanks for sharing your design
/Paba

My speaker is finished after following some of Andreas choices, still working on crossover but so far I'm really impressed.
DDS-ENG wave guide
Beyma CP-380
Celestion FTR15-3070
Crossover is a bit strange but the sound stage is huge and horn is very very pleasent (after many previous disappointments), not beaming at all and don't need to listen on axis. The radiation pattern of the DDS is amazing it gives all together with the bass driver an holographic image near 180 degrees.
I swapped the horn with large Fountek NeoCD2.0 for try and I killed the speaker :{ . NeoCD can only be listened within its own narrow vertical axis. I don't like it make the sound stage fake like many commercial speakers. If you stand up from the couch all detail is gone. The vertical beam of the NeoCD is very narrow.

Attachments

• APSpeaker01.jpg
    APSpeaker01.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 764
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.