Hi-End and Hi-Efficency loudspeakers (horn + onken)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bms

bd-design nl
look for BD-Design' BD15

bd15_magnet.jpg

700 Euro a pice

l_bd15%20frequency%20response.jpg

Bert. Doppenberg is known is a very help full mann how even for ten cent will do his best.

The designer of the Oris Horn.
bert1.jpg

Regards helmuth

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
audiodesign said:

This seen to be the best: W15N8-350

only 100 lt to get a 47Hz at -3db and on-axe flat until 4KHz

I cannot find someone to buy this in Italy, incredible

Have you a good source for these ?

http://www.faitalpro.com/sales/distribution/popup.php?idpoint=10

Fore a 300B amp I would expect a 15" to be a bit over the limit, but in any case it would be really important to have the lowest possible mms
I doubt you will find better than this
The backside of the good specs is the low 5mm(p-p) Xmax, and its clearly intended fore mids only, but still both low Fs and light cone
That should be just fine fore a 300B

tinitus said:
Strange to seee those Monacors to be rated as linear...take a closer look, its obvious they are far from
Why do you think so?
The Faital and the BD-Design woofers are not better than the Monacor

Compare for yourself

From Top
Monacor SP38A/300pro
BD-Design BD15
Faital W15N8-350

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

jogi59 said:

Why do you think so?

Compare for yourself

From Top
Monacor SP38A/300pro
BD-Design BD15
Faital W15N8-350

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

None of those is good above 4-500Hz.

In that Oris system the BD15 is cross-overed at 270Hz....

Even the cheapest PA loudspeaker won't use a 15" woofer above 1KHz.

45 said:

None of those is good above 4-500Hz.
I see no problem to use any of these 3 speakers up to 1500 Hz.

45 said:

Even the cheapest PA loudspeaker won't use a 15" woofer above 1KHz.
15" woofers in cheap PA-Speakers usually run up to 3 or 5 kHZ, in good PA speakers up to 800-1500 Hz.
Even in Studiomonitors or good HiFi speakers 15" woofers are crossed over at 1kHz or above
Examples:
JBL 4430 or Mr. Geddes Summa

jogi59 said:

Why do you think so?

Compare for yourself

From Top
Monacor SP38A/300pro
BD-Design BD15
Faital W15N8-350

Precise Yogi.

The scale can also be very misleading. I mean that a response seems to be more flat. Although in this case the monacor and BD-design begin both at 60dB with a scale of 10dB.

The scale tangband uses begins with 0dB so the grafic seems to be more flat than when you zoom in.

A simulation is a indication and is as good as the model used. And the parameters added.

With win isd you can choose also _3dB extended bass shelf response. This means a other Vb and port frequency. To get extended bass response with 3 dB loss of efficiency.

With winisd you can play with Volume of the box and frequency of the pipe and see what that means for the response.

Here a simulation of a other program.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,526
jogi59 said:

I see no problem to use any of these 3 speakers up to 1500 Hz.

15" woofers in cheap PA-Speakers usually run up to 3 or 5 kHZ, in good PA speakers up to 800-1500 Hz.
Even in Studiomonitors or good HiFi speakers 15" woofers are crossed over at 1kHz or above
Examples:
JBL 4430 or Mr. Geddes Summa

audiodesign said:
All these 3 woofer will have 0db lost at 30 degrees 1KHz so are good.

The frequency response alone cannot tell if you can cross-over two speakers.
If you want to get a coherent speaker you must match the acoustic phases. Otherwise the crossing-over will be clearly audible and the result not really hifi...

Every break-up will carry a phase shift and a big woofer like those, above 3-400Hz, has plenty regardless of how rigid is the cone. There you start to have a wave-length which is smaller and smaller in comparison to the size of the cone....

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, as my master says, all Monacor response curves all look like they are drawn by hand with a pencil

You can judge a bit by specs, but in the end you need personal real time experience with a driver to make any real valid judgement

Its first AFTER its mounted in the box and with proper xo, tweeter and all, that its possible say anything fore real

Man, take a look at this 18" SP-46/500BS
http://www.monacor.dk/produkter/hoejttalerenheder-pa15-18/vnr/104100/
its smooth as a whistle to just above 1khz
Theres just a tiny little whiggle above that, looks like nothing
Well,, it could easily have been cut, and its peak may actually go 10db further up
I dont expect anyone would believe any of this

But close to 373EUR is way too much

No matter what the "BS" stands fore, it could actually be a fine woofer...but I dont trust them, so I dont buy it

Attachments

• monacor pa.png
    monacor pa.png
    15 KB · Views: 889
tinitus said:
Well, as my master says, all Monacor response curves all look like they are drawn by hand with a pencil

You can judge a bit by specs, but in the end you need personal real time experience with a driver to make any real valid judgement

Its first AFTER its mounted in the box and with proper xo, tweeter and all, that its possible say anything fore real

Man, take a look at this 18" SP-46/500BS
http://www.monacor.dk/produkter/hoejttalerenheder-pa15-18/vnr/104100/
its smooth as a whistle to just above 1khz
Theres just a tiny little whiggle above that, looks like nothing
Well,, it could easily have been cut, and its peak may actually go 10db further up
I dont expect anyone would believe any of this

But close to 373EUR is way too much

No matter what the "BS" stands fore, it could actually be a fine woofer...but I dont trust them, so I dont buy it
That is a great driver tinitus.
You can't believe it but did you ever try a monacor and measure it, to check the results.

It is the question if the response is made smooth by measuring software or the writing speed of a plotter (if they still exist).

Monacor seems to be quite sloppy with their measuring data it is hard to tell what the graphic is really worth.

Although I bought a DT-300 tweeter very good sounding 28mm tweeter. Only 28 euro their are other manufacturers how ask 120 euro for a similar tweeter.

With their good price performance monacor did not promise to much. They are no nonsense, so they use a plastic front plate to reduce cost.

My conclusion is al those nice stuff with aluminium die-cast frame does not automatic lead to a good performance. Just like exotic cone materials.
It is only a selling argument because people want to like what they see.
Also are people attracted by exotic speaker brands and high prices. Because they want to distinguish them selves with their equipment.

I have a idea to make a high performance low cost paper cone steel frame speaker to beat all that nonsense.
But I am also attracted by exotic stuff like ceramic or beryllium tweeters. A fabric dome can also be high performance and cost under 10 euro.

Temptations

Maybe a idea for this project audiodesign.:D

A DT-300 with wave guide WG-300.

distortion.

Attachments

• dt300 small.jpg
    dt300 small.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,009
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.