• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

I hoped to get some photos and such out before I left on vacation, but I was close to the wire. I am typing this from a hotel room on my phone, so pardon any typos. :)

Here are some notes on the different kit parts....

Cronus

The kit includes the asembled module, mounting hardware (including stacking hardware), two sets of 20-pin male/female headers, an 8-pin male header with a shunt, two crystal sockets, and 2-pin and 4-pin terminal blocks.

The 20-pin conectors are for making conections to the Hermes and, optionally, to the 8-channel Buffalo-III. Both male and female are included to allow flexibility in how you arrainge your boards.

The 8-pin header and shunt are for the clock-divider selector.

The two crystal sockets mount to allow plugging in Rhea or other clocks.

u.fl connectors for external clocks are also provided, as well as for I2S/DSD and MCK output. The 4-pin terminal block can also be used for output; if you decide to mount it, I suggest mounting it under the board to allow access to the u.fl connectors.

The 2-pin header is for 5V power input. If you are mounting to a Buffalo-8, power will come through the 20-pin header. Otherwise, use the 2-pin tb.

Hermes-BBB

This kit includes the asembled module, a male header to mounting on the BBB, a 20-pin set of male/female headers, a 4-pin (2x2) set of male/female headers, 4 green LEDs (rectangular), mounting hardware (including stacking), and two 4-pin terminal blocks**.

The BBB header is pretty straight forward. It allows mounting the Hermes on P9 of the BBB.

The female 4-pin header mounts on the BBB just behind it's power connector, and mates to the 4-pin male header mounted under the Hermes near the P9 connector. This brings the options for battery usage.

The terminal blocks provide optional battery backup connection, and un-isolated 5V power (meaning, before the isolators).

There are four LED drivers on the board connected to the four LED outputs (2x4 pads). The provided LEDs can be mounted directly or remotely, or replaced by the LEDs of your choosing. the drivers should accomidate a wide variety of LED choices. You could also use these outputs to signal external devices if desired.

You will also see an area of prototyping holes on the board. This is for adding/experimenting/etc. There are two sets of 3.3V power provided as well, both on the un-isolated side and the isolated side. What you do with them is up to you, but nothing is required.

The 20-pin connectors are for mating to the Cronus, and again, both are provided to allow you to mount the boards the way you want.

Hermes-Amanero is the simplest kit. It contains two sets of 20-pin male/female headers for mounting to the Amanero and Cronus, and mounting/stacking hardware.

Again, sorry for the briefness of this, but more info will be available in the next couple days (I am back Friday). We have datasheets and manuals on the way, and please ask questions here and on our support forum. I am going to try to make some videos as well, if time permits.

Now, off to the Smithsonian Zoo with the kids. :)

** The terminal blocks are made up of smaller terminal blocks, which can be separated of joined before mounting, as needed.

I have received boards, but it seems all so complicated that I think I'll wait for manuals or the experts to give instructions. Connecting to a B3 doesn't seem so complex, but I have no idea how to hook it all up synchronously to a dual-mono BII!
I haven't even attempted installing Botic on my BBB yet...

I am looking for instructions to provide I2S for opus DAC. I have the pictures

Attachments

• hermes.jpg
    hermes.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 817
  • cronus.jpg
    cronus.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 802
  • rhea.jpg
    rhea.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 775
  • accesories with chronus.jpg
    accesories with chronus.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 720
I recieved my boards today. As I am using it for a dddac the stacking of the boards will be a bit different from a buffalo dac user; I have the cronus at "floor" level.

Still have to figure out how to use all the extra headers/connection points.

There are also through hole (33r) and smd (330) resistors in the package. i assume they need to be placed on the output paths of the cronos. But which resistor is best for this position?
What kind of smd resistors are these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 789
Do I need to power hermes with 5v AND power the BBB? Or is it enough to feed BBB and that feeds the unisolated side of hermes? Or the other way around: feed hermes and that feeds the BBB?

I would like to tap power for the secondary side of the isolators from my dac supply. As this will all be connected to each other I suspect it has no use so use separate power supplies. Any reason not to?

Regards,