• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

1. How far along are we regarding the I2C volume (and control of other registers in the DAC chip)?
2. Will this distro be compatible with f.inst roon-bridge and its hardware volume setting?
3. Are you thinking of developing something that could replace the oled-arduino (hifiduino) solution with regards to switching other inputs as well (sp-dif`s etc) but run the controller code from the BBB?
The botic-sabre32 driver does not support dual-mono, custom FIR filters and some advanced channel settings as phase and polarity.

But controlling of all other settings of the ES9018S is supported via the ALSA mixer interface.

Thanks for the replies :)

That sounds great :)

The roon software is just a add-on service that run on top of existing distro`s (. I`ve been running it on archphile, volumio and moode. Since your solution adjust volume via i2c it should tap into that command when adjusting volume from roon. But it does say that it require alsa drivers. I guess I have to try it to find out.

But keep up the good work :)

Hi

Can you confirm me it's possible to install Squeezelite on this distribution ? If yes how ?

* I thinking to have this configuration :
[BeagleBone Black - Squeezelite] >----- I2S Link -----> [Hermes BBB] > [Cronus Relocking - I2S Output] >----- I2S Link -----> [I2S HDMI Amanero Output] >----- HDMI Cable ----> [DAC - I2S HDMI Amanero Input]

Is it works for you ?
Thanks

Yes, it is possible to install Slimserver on the BBB, but the BBB does not have much RAM, so it might not work well with large database. The MPD is better alternative for that.

If you have a another computer that can run Slimserver, then you can use BBB just to run squeezelite embedded player. This works well.

Yes, it is possible to install Slimserver on the BBB, but the BBB does not have much RAM, so it might not work well with large database. The MPD is better alternative for that.

If you have a another computer that can run Slimserver, then you can use BBB just to run squeezelite embedded player. This works well.

Thanks miero : I just want to install squeezelite. I already installed Slimserver on my Raspberry Pi 2 (with piCorePlayer).

I think I will buy in few weeks my kit : BBB + Hermes + Cromus...I hope to have a great sound !

Should I earth the BBB?

My multimeter shows continuity between the BBB's -ve DC power connection and the sleeves of the 4 PCB mounting holes. Clearly, then, if I was to use metal standoffs to mount my BBB inside my metal chassis, the -ve DC would be connected to chassis earth. And my chassis earth will certainly be protective earth, as per Australian standards.

But I will be using nylon or rubber standoffs, attached to a wooden base inside the chassis.
And I was not intending to earth the DC -ve output of my linear supply.

So my question is should I go to the trouble of making an electrical connection from BBB -ve DC input to the chassis? I understand a copper strap is correct for such applications.

Or should I just leave the DC supply floating?

Does anybody have the exact measurements of the modules involved in a BeagleBorad-Black + BII or BIII + Cronus + Hermes-BBB build? It would suffice to know the outline dimensions of a ready build. Background is, I am designing a case, respectively trying to find one, that can also fit an amp-module.

I did not find any documents on the TwistedPear website regarding this.
Thanks a lot!

Can help you with Hermes and Cronus, perhaps others can provide the rest?

Attachments

• Hermes_dimensions.jpg
    Hermes_dimensions.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Cronus_dimensions.jpg
    Cronus_dimensions.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 318
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Background is, I am designing a case, respectively trying to find one, that can also fit an amp-module.
I found layout to be challenging if one wants to directly port any of the BBB connectors outside the chassis. Teleporters solved the problem for me (photo here). Others have shown it is best to keep wifi dongles outside the BBB chassis. If the amp modules generate heat, remember that *good heat management* is desirable around the tridents, around any other shunt regulated supplies, and (in my experience, at least) for best performance of the Legato I/V boards.

Cheers,

Frank

What do each of the four LEDs on the Hermes represent? Only the first LED is lighting up for me. NB: I've got a B3SE running controlled by an Arduino running modified Hifiduino code.

Anybody have any advice on how to debug? Reading through this thread again, it seems like the ENABLE light should be turning on if things are configured correctly - but the only thing lighting up for me is the LED labeled "3". I've got miero's botic4 image loaded and can ssh into the BBB. Happy to post some photos, if that would help.

Anybody have any advice on how to debug? Reading through this thread again, it seems like the ENABLE light should be turning on if things are configured correctly - but the only thing lighting up for me is the LED labeled "3". I've got miero's botic4 image loaded and can ssh into the BBB. Happy to post some photos, if that would help.
Hi chryses, it appears that your problem may be related to soldering. You might want to check again your soldering work with the LED pins and those header pins to P9 of BBB soldered to the Hermes board. Careful retouching of soldered joints may correct hidden incomplete soldering.

Regards,

Hi chryses, it appears that your problem may be related to soldering. You might want to check again your soldering work with the LED pins and those header pins to P9 of BBB soldered to the Hermes board. Careful retouching of soldered joints may correct hidden incomplete soldering.

Regards,

Thanks twluke. I went back and retouched everything, scrubbed it all down with alcohol, but I'm still having the same issue. Some photos of the board below - anything look wrong to anyone? Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 277
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 276
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Do you get the same result when booting from usual 5V power supply via the terminal block of Hermes?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. In the pictures, I'm powering the Hermes via the terminal block (red and black wires). If I disconnect those and power the BBB up using its barrel connector (attached to a wall wart), I have the same issue. But I don't think that was what you were asking ...

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. In the pictures, I'm powering the Hermes via the terminal block (red and black wires). If I disconnect those and power the BBB up using its barrel connector (attached to a wall wart), I have the same issue. But I don't think that was what you were asking ...
Oh, I mistook the cables connected to the 5V supply as a part of extension from the battery power. Your connection is exactly set to what I asked. I'm sorry for making this confusion. So, I'm afraid to say that I can not offer further idea to help you for now.

Regards,