• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Hi giulio,

1) battery is intended only to keeping BBB powered until it shuts safely down (optional, but recommended)
2) they are for mounting Hermes-BBB to BBB ... metal spacers might short out SD-card card connector (AFAIK)
3) No. Hermes-BBB + Cronus is 8 channel I2S (or 4ch DSD) by default. The easiest to modify it for 2ch stereo is to use Smart-wiring on B3 board itself.

And yes, it would be useful to have the manual available...

Hello.

I can't make the BBB-Hermes-Cronus system to output music.
The web-UI doesn't show playback progression, and soon I have "timeouts" and no command can be sent.
If something is fried after the BBB, can it explain this ?

What are the normal voltage readings between Cronus ground and Cronus outputs ?

Thanks

Hi, Guys!

Do I understand correctly that BBB + Hermes (with battery) + Cronus + Rhea provides the ability to output pure SPDIF signal for SPDIF receiver (RCA) ANY Dac?

Kind Regards,
Mikhail

Mikhail,

As I understand it, the BBB + Hermes + Cronus + Rea is primarily a source of an I2S signal rather than an SPDIF signal, but according to Russ's first post, SPDIF output should also be possible.

Cheers,
Phil

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mikhail,

As I understand it, the BBB + Hermes + Cronus + Rea is primarily a source of an I2S signal rather than an SPDIF signal, but according to Russ's first post, SPDIF output should also be possible.

Cheers,
Phil

Go to the kernel information page to learn more about the linux code that allows the add-on boards to do their jobs. Note that SPDIF output is only possible with v. 4 of Botic. This is perhaps not the highest use for this very high resolution platform.

http://bbb.ieero.com

Go to the kernel information page to learn more about the linux code that allows the add-on boards to do their jobs. Note that SPDIF output is only possible with v. 4 of Botic. This is perhaps not the highest use for this very high resolution platform.

http://bbb.ieero.com

Thank you, francolargo!

This connection ensures compatibility with the vast majority DAC.
And, yes. Software supports SPDIF output v. 3 of Botic driver, not v. 4.

My question was rather hardware. SPDIF output capabilities at the hardware level.

I am running currently a BIII in Dual Mono fed by Ian's Reclocker and Wavio. The Alix 1 with a Sotm Cad runs mpdpup.

I am intrigued by the idea to get the whole USB-Errors out of the System and to have the best I2S Quality with BBB synched by Herme / Cronus.

My questions:

- Can I use BBB/Hermes/Cronus just as an I2S-Source feeding again Ian's boards etc ?
- Or is the direct Connection with the BIII required ? Is there a communication between BIII and BBB through i2c ?

I understand that this would become two reclockers after each other ...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Can I use BBB/Hermes/Cronus just as an I2S-Source feeding again Ian's boards etc ?
- Or is the direct Connection with the BIII required ?

Yes, Cronus is specialized for clean I2S output, galvanically isolated from the BBB.
Is there a communication between BIII and BBB through i2c ?

I understand that this would become two reclockers after each other ...
Yes, and one of the I2C busses is also isolated from BBB. Example code is available to help people start controlling B3 via I2C. Here is my own implementation and other avenues are equally possible:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/281776-control-bbb-based-audio-appliances.html

Cheers,

Frank