• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Hi,

I have two i2s sources for one i2s input in my active preamp.
I want to :
1. switch between my 2 sources
2. isolate
3. re-clocking
I imagine this setup:
[I2S from Digi+ Pro (Raspberry PI3)] + [I2S from Amanero] ===> [OTTO-II 2:1 Mux] ---> [Hermes-xxx?] ---> [Cronus Reclocker] ---> Najda DSP (24 bits, 48/96/192 kHz)

Is it right ?
What Hermes module should i use ?
Hermes-BBB have got i2s input and 2:1 Mux ?
What Rhea module for 24 bits, 48/96/192 kHz ?

PS: I have already an OTTO-II 2:1 Mux

Thanks
Henri

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have been a TPA customer from nearly their beginning. The world of DIY has changed over the years. Now, relentless unauthorized copying by foreign vendors using inferior quality materials is practically rampant. It is diluting the best creative efforts of generous, dedicated designers (not only at TPA) - enthusiasts who serve a small clientele and take satisfaction from others' execution and enjoyment of the quality designs they have created. Thus, I no longer expect the kinds of full design disclosure that was formerly common. If it sounds good, it IS good.

Best,
Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Russ,
After received the Cronus-Hermes-BBB since 2015, I finally going to start on this but found that the thread had been really grown. Sorry for having so many questions.

I want to have BBB rev B -> Hermes-BBB -> Cronus ->I2S -> Soekris R2R DAM1021
For Hermes-BBB
1. Is Hermes-BB power by BBB? Do I need power connect to the 5V_IN ?
2. What about BAT? Do I need to connect this?
3. What about the EXT_BAT ? What is this use for?
4. Is J1 require shorting?
5. Usage of J_RST, J_P_SW, J_RE, J_ADC ?

Cronos (RHEA 45.1584/49.152)
6. J1:1, J1:4, J1:2 - Which one to use? And when to use DISABLE?
7. Do I need separate power supply (5V) connect to VD?
8. Should I just need 33R for R5,R6,R7?
9. Where can I find the datasheet for Cronus or Hermes ?

Software
10. What else do I need to run Squeezelite other than Botic ?
11. Does Volumio works on Botic ?

Thanks for the help, I know I may be a bit late to start it now.

Hi all!
Since I have a problem with my BBB/Hermes/Cronos/B3 (running in stereo) configuration,
I now try to get some help here.

Before I had a B3 with Legato output stage, and everything worked as expected. So the jumpers on the B3 are installed, like described in the B3 manual.

Then I added the BBB with Hermes and Cronos, and when I do a speaker test in a terminal (speaker-test -c 2 ), then both channels are playing every time, instead just the left OR right.
When I check the 8 channels (speaker-test -c8), than just channels 0 (Front left) and 4 (center) are playing, all the remaining 6 channels not. I think, that in stereo configuration there should be the test signal hearable from all channels.

So it seems to me to be a problem with the routing.

And as I checked, there is the possibility to do some routing on the B3 itself at the bottom with jumpers (mine, as mentioned, are configured like in the B3 manual),
or with the resistors at the Cronos (R1-R7), and also in the software, as you can see with alsamixer in a terminal.

I installed only jumpers R5-R7, and also checked their resistance, and they are fine (measured 33 Ohms).

Yes it is important if you are shorting signals the B3 to omit the resistors that are not actually driving the net. So for typical stereo B3 usage - only install the resistors R5 - R7 on the Cronus. Then use the jumpers on the B3 to enable stereo remapped usage.

Now, I played arround a lot, but I don't find a hint here at the Twisted Pear's forums, or any manual or tutorial, (which is still missing).

I hope somebody has a tipp for me how to get the thing running as expected!

Many thanks
Matthias

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Then I added the BBB with Hermes and Cronos, and when I do a speaker test in a terminal (speaker-test -c 2 ), then both channels are playing every time, instead just the left OR right.
When I check the 8 channels (speaker-test -c8), than just channels 0 (Front left) and 4 (center) are playing, all the remaining 6 channels not. I think, that in stereo configuration there should be the test signal hearable from all channels.

So it seems to me to be a problem with the routing.

Correct. Botic/BBB can render 8 channels of PCM, but it seems you want only basic 2-channel stereo into the B3, correct? Have you configured ALSA in Botic for more than two channels? That could result in the behavior you describe. ALSA mixer should not be needed. Plus, "speaker-test -c 8" will not help diagnose routing errors if Cronus output is enabled for only one I2S stream. The default configuration of Botic should play stereo correctly. If these basic hints don't help, perhaps move the question to the Botic support thread.

Last edited:
Hi Francolargo,

thanks for your response!
I discussed it already with Miero, and so I think this is not a software problem. (But of cause I could also be wrong.)
I didn't touch the alsa config.
But how I understand it, if one tests all 8 channels in a stereo configuration, all of them should be part of either the right or the left channel, otherwise the power in the DACs output wouldn't add up to 8ma (I just put the 8 there from memory.)

Francolargo, do you have a hint where I further get information on the alsa thing?
This all comes back to a missing description on how to set-up this all correctly and how all this interacts. It's all just scattered over several threads. :( Sorry to have to say this.

Perhaps someone from Twisted Pear could chime in, just to check if this is hardware related (if I have to re-arrange some jumpers on the B3, or change the resistors on the Cronos?

Ahh:
I hope my English is good enough that I didn't insult someone or that my write-up seems to be rude. This is not what I'm intending, just describing the situation and asking for help. I enjoy diy, and also my DAC, and therefore am happy that all twisted pear gear is arround!

Last edited: