Help Picking a driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I play a lot of symphonic music, so, I could probably "get by" with around 40hz (double bass low E), but would prefer 27.5 (Piano A0). Also, WAF is HUGE since this will live in the main room of our house. We don't have a TV (well.... We have a separate dedicated theater room). If this means I need to supplement with subwoofer, that's fine.

Do I understand correctly that best for this driver (A12) would be about 75hz or ~Eb2?

For EQ, I have a pioneer 1523k receiver powering the theater. Pretty sure that has a built in EQ, so I could play around with that. I don't think the older receiver (pioneer d510) does. What's a ball park cost for a decent EQ to complement my equipment?

Box isn't out of the question, in fact I plan to eventually put them in a box. Just for kicks and giggles I took a piece of cardboard roughly 3'x2' and made a cutout the size of the driver. I put it on both sides of the baffle as if it were a larger baffle. There was a noticeable improvement in bass response, but the bass was still very week. Best was having the cardboard on the back of the baffle.

What size box would I need? If the front face of the box were about 12x17" would it work to simply adjust the depth to get the right volume inside the box?

A12 pencil has about 5400"^3. What happens if you change the shape but keep roughly the same volume? For example, internal dimension of 11x24x20 7/16"?

Also, if I made a straight up pencil could I mount my current baffles on the front as a decorative piece or would that seriously compromise the sound?

All I can say is that the only enclosure in which I've heard the A12Ps and with which I could live with the sound of is Jeff's SuperPensils. They were built to the dimensions on published drawings - these were designed by Scott to maximize performance - not to accede to spousal acceptance factor.

Personally, I prefer the smaller drivers in the Alpair line-up. With all due respect to what Mark achieved with the12P, as far as I'm concerned if its extra sensitivity is not required - and which accrues the penalty of enclosure volume - I think as Dave mentioned above you can achieve better overall results with the A10.3 or paper, in a much smaller enclosure. The FHXL is not tiny - but still much smaller than the SPs- with sufficient floor space makes quite a great system, and either the Pensil for the A10s, or even Dave's compact floorstander deliver pretty good results with much smaller footprints and ease of placement - they certainly had SAF when played with at my home

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You got Alpair 12.2p (7" driver).

This is what I got. Regular or pensil 12

Pensil12 is for the old metal cone driver, Pensil 12.2p/Super Pensil 12.2p for the current paper cone driver. http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/PensilsA122p-191012.pdf

We are big fans of the A12pw. It digs deep but is a bit lacking on the top but it is not officially a FR. It needs quite a bit bigger box than the A12.2p

A12pw-Mar-Ken-1st-pic.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.