Heatsinks for Bosoz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: preamp

lgreen said:

Thanks, i'm ripping it apart to make it into an X-CCS-BOSOZ using Kari's boards, right now its not so nice on the inside.

Kind of sad, as this will be less DIY than the hand-built original, but looking foward to the rebuild.

Do you think it'll sound better?
If built with good components and wellbuilt, in what price range among commercial products can it compete?
I'm not counting building as a cost, since I love doing it.

Now I've got a few more components to buy, of which one is a pain in the A*S! In sweden you can't buy the LM4040-10 unless you order as a company..... so if any of you has 4 of them to spare.... I'd be grateful.
Of course I'd pay for them and the shipping costs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: preamp

Mayday said:

Do you think it'll sound better?

I hope so, I took about 2 years building the original version and during that time the X circuit was developed so I kind of feel that I missed out on it. But I did it for the learning and the fun, so am not too concerned. Yes, this is as good as commercial preamps.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: preamp

lgreen said:

I hope so, I took about 2 years building the original version and during that time the X circuit was developed so I kind of feel that I missed out on it. But I did it for the learning and the fun, so am not too concerned. Yes, this is as good as commercial preamps.

Yes that it is as good as commercial preamps I took for granted...but up to what price range? Tough question to answer I know.... I'm a bit eager to see how much better (if better) it is than my tube-preamp, Audio innovations 800C...

Mayday said:
Thanks!
But I can't find anything in that post about there being a problem on the main boards?

Jonas

Just FYI, I'm working on the main boards and have discovered that the 100V, 1000uF capacitors in the layout have holes that are too small and spacing which is too narrow for the snap ins that are specified by Nelson for the BOSOZ. In fact, I'm not sure if any caps of that rating will fit in there. Just FYI, I drilled holes to put the standard caps in there and it affects placement of the nearby resistors which are overlapped by the large capacitors.

I would not call this an error as its possible that there are caps available somewhere that will fit. Just frustrating that the standard ones dont. Hey its diy so we all adjust.

lgreen said:

Just FYI, I'm working on the main boards and have discovered that the 100V, 1000uF capacitors in the layout have holes that are too small and spacing which is too narrow for the snap ins that are specified by Nelson for the BOSOZ. In fact, I'm not sure if any caps of that rating will fit in there. Just FYI, I drilled holes to put the standard caps in there and it affects placement of the nearby resistors which are overlapped by the large capacitors.

I would not call this an error as its possible that there are caps available somewhere that will fit. Just frustrating that the standard ones dont. Hey its diy so we all adjust.

Yes I saw pics of this, where it had been solved by mounting the cap with a gap between it and the pcb, and one of the leads bent to fit the holes in the pcb.
I guess that's the thing about diy, you have to adjust and adapt as you go along...

Hi,

does anybody has any news regarding Anthony and the GB?
Have we lost our money?
At 11 sept 2005, he wrote:

Here is a link to view the parts kits assembled on a pair of Kari's boards as well as some notes on construction. I will start preparing kits for shipping this coming week. I will get a few parcels wieghed at the Post Office and start sending out shipping invoices the week after next.

I feel that I' ve been kind of cheated. Am I the only one here?
I had enough regarding my empty boards!

George

PS. Jason did you manage to contact Anthony in any way?

parts

Yeah this GB went bad from like every perspective. I thought there might be a problem when I read this on the wiki:

I'll start to send them out immeadtly, and i got great help from my wife on this. So no messups like in the AX gp is going to happen.

I really feel bad for all of you with no boards and parts, felt bad for myself waiting for months for the ones that actually showed up.

For those of you who have given up on parts, check out this transformer.

The one transformer should be sufficient for a dual mono supply, two 55V secondaries and two 16V secondaries, one for each board, no? And a bonus 14V secondary for all your blue lights.

Hmmm.... are the 16VAC secondaries too high for the negative supply?

....best part its only $30.

Originally posted by Mayday
Now I've got a few more components to buy, of which one is a pain in the A*S! In sweden you can't buy the LM4040-10 unless you order as a company.....

If it helps, it doesn't have to be an LM4040-10. Any decent voltage reference in the 9-12V range will be fine. If push comes to shove, a simple zener diode can be used as a replacement as well.

If built with good components and wellbuilt, in what price range among commercial products can it compete?

I have been eager to answer that very question with mine, but have had limited success finding people who are willing to do a comparison against their gear. The only preamp I've had a chance to compare against was a Mark Levinson 380 preamp, and my CC-CCS-X-BZLS held its own. I liked mine better, my buddy liked his better, but we both agreed that they were in the same performance league.

Just don't think of scrimping on the power supply. I'd take Nelson's BZLS PS as a minimum requirement. In mine I put a CRC filter before the regulation stage, and added more capacitance after the regulation as well.

Cheers, Terry

metalman said:

***The only preamp I've had a chance to compare against was a Mark Levinson 380 preamp, and my CC-CCS-X-BZLS held its own. I liked mine better, my buddy liked his better, but we both agreed that they were in the same performance league.
Cheers, Terry

I get the CCS-X-BZLS, but what does CC mean?

Its too bad that there are not more diy gatherings where people can compare things....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.