Hagerman Bugle 2

You asked "How much overload margin is needed?" What I understaood by that question was "How much above the nominal cart signal (say, 5mV) does the phono stage need to be able to cope with?"

Hence my answer - it needs to cope with a 10x input signal. The opamps used - and the rail voltage - will determine whether the phono stage can achieve this.

Andy

That's an interesting question, Wellerman. :)

I can't see why the 60dB Bugle would be any noisier than a 40dB Bugle + 20dB Piccolo ... and you get the advantage that the signal then passes through:
* 1 less interconnect, and
* 2 less RCA plug/socket connections.

Like you (and unlike 6L6), I am not a fan of SUTs - as they do not give the load flexibility that can be obtained by having the phono cable plug directly into the RCA sockets on a phono stage or head amp.

Andy

According to Jim Hagerman himself Piccolo 2 + Bugle 2 would have less hiss, but Bugle 2 on its own is no slouch.

Another question: what would be the best capacitor for the RC-filters on the rails of the Bugle (220 uF) and Piccolo (100 uF)? Low ESR types like Panasonic FM? Do they influence the sound and should I go for "for audio" types like Nichicon KZ or Silmic II? Or is the "for audio"-thing mostly hype? Is X7R ceramic a good choice for the 100nF decoupling caps?

Another question: what would be the best capacitor for the RC-filters on the rails of the Bugle (220 uF) and Piccolo (100 uF)? Low ESR types like Panasonic FM? Do they influence the sound and should I go for "for audio" types like Nichicon KZ or Silmic II?

Yes, IMO, power rail filter caps do influence the sound - I personally use Nichicon on all my builds.

Is X7R ceramic a good choice for the 100nF decoupling caps?

I suggest you need to use a 'good-sounding' film cap for signal decoupling. So I typically use RelCap RTX.

Andy

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
varying parts…

Hi friends

So I started my bugle 2. Can't wait to finish it.

Just wanted to chat: I tried to be smart and ordered Vishay RN60 for them (taking care that the values were conform to the BOM)—but, boy are them big! some even bigger than others, don't ask me why...
Had to line them up soldier-style, that looks hefty :)

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    814.3 KB · Views: 391
Last edited: