Hagerman Bugle 2

I think I may have to recase my Bugle2 as, in the standard plastic case, it picks up a lot of interference from Wi-Fi.

Some aluminium ducting is a quick fix and more attractive than wrapping in aluminium foil. Maybe lining the plastic case with foil would help ?

bugle2tube.jpg

is this the new version of a "tube" amp?:D

haha - good one! :D

I think I may have to recase my Bugle2 as, in the standard plastic case, it picks up a lot of interference from Wi-Fi.

Some aluminium ducting is a quick fix and more attractive than wrapping in aluminium foil. Maybe lining the plastic case with foil would help ?

I suggest a metal case which has an earth terminal (connected to the metal of the case - not the anodised or powder-coated finish) is a better idea. Then a wire can be taken off that earth terminal to the earth on a wall socket or a mains-powered component (whose case is earthed).

Andy

This phono preamp has bad overload specifications. Active RIAA, like excellent Pavel Macura phono stage is optimal solution with op-amps which have low working voltage. Dough Self explained it in his book.

after spending the weekend reading "small signal audio design" by d. self i actually have to agree with you. in theory at least as i don't really know how this would affect my listening experience. but the bugle will be built very soon and the design suggested by d. self in the book will be next. so a real life comparison will happen - give me a few month. :D

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I was itching to try to make something and I saw this thread so I ordered up all the stuff. It was super easy to get everything and I spent a few hours over weekend making it.

My skill level is amateurish at best so it was a good one to try out before I did something more serious. When I first hooked it up it had something wrong in the right channel. After closely inspecting each of my not so very professional solder jobs I found one where the lead (is that what it is called?) wasn't trimmed down enough and it was bent and touching another solder point. I was able to trim that off and hook it back up and boom! It works great.

I have only used it for a few hours and I don't have enough experience listening to vinyl in general to say how it sounds or how it compares. I don't have any ground issues at all. My previous Rega Fono A2D had a ground loop issue that requires some monkeying around but this one works fine for some reason.

Overall I'm real happy and maybe I'll sell off my current phono and buy a new cartridge or something.....

Here is a picture

Attachments

• 5D8A3285-2.jpg
    5D8A3285-2.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 453
The book goes into more detail of course .... the unscientific summary is from me. :D

Can you share your knowledge on how to compute the overload margin for various frequencies?

Also i tried to look for useful information on how much overload margin is needed. I really didn't have a lot of success. What's your opinion on this?