• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Buy idea: PEC carbon pot (The P. D. recommended one)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. To clear up some confusion the price is going to be $37. The next price break is at 100 parts :( Atleast we hit our 30 :) I'm going on a ski trip this week so I will start finalizing this thing the week of the 3rd so we still have ~14 days to get all of our orders in. If we can get all orders in sooner I will order sooner. If this is too long let me know, but I just wanted to give everyone enough time. The week of the 10th I will start collecting $$ & place the order. I will keep it similar to Brian's Chipamp.com format with Paypal & flat USPS shipping rates.

Here is a current list once again:
----------------------------------------
cdoggy81: 10K 25K = 2
tg3: 25K = 1
KT: 50k and 100k or 2 100k = 2
sbolin: 2 25k = 2
darkmoebius: 10K or 1M = 1
nbaula: 10K = 1
powerp: 2 10K 50K 100K = 4
SvErD: 2 25K 2 100K = 4
moe29: 2 5K = 2
IndyAudi: 2 10K 3 25K 3 50K 2 100K = 10
JimD: 25K = 1
Ipolyakov: 25K = 1
x. onasis: 25K = 1
moving_electron: 100K = 1
kestrel200: 2 25K = 2
edjosh23: 25K = 1
motherone: 2 50K = 2

newbie88: 25K = 1 ~ on price

wyomitch: ???
planet10: ???
------------------
Total = 39

"So far I'm looking at a stereo pot, 10% precision..........."

newbie88, they will be 10%. Do you want me to keep you on the list? You were a little iffy b/c of price. Thanks & L.M.K.
-CHRiS

BTW, kestrel200 - "Wifey made me go on a 7 day cruise"
I'm soooo sure she MADE you go :D I wish my girl MADE me go on cruises! I see you are from Mt. Pleasant SC. Have you been to Boone NC? I'm MAKING my girl go on a ski trip with me there ;)

BTW, kestrel200 - "Wifey made me go on a 7 day cruise"
I'm soooo sure she MADE you go :D I wish my girl MADE me go on cruises! I see you are from Mt. Pleasant SC. Have you been to Boone NC? I'm MAKING my girl go on a ski trip with me there ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Not only have I been to Boone, I went to school there. Four great years at Appalachian State University. That's where I met my wife, learned to ski, learned to rock climb, partied etc. I love Boone, Blowing rock, Sugar Mtn, Etc. I'm jealous, I haven't been there in 2-3 years. I' know you'll have a great time!

I'm a latecomer to this thread but I think given a little more time, we should be able to hit the 100 unit discount point and a price target of $20 delivered per pot. Given the purchasing power available in this forum, I think we should wait for a larger order/lower price. That said, I'm interested but I'll stay on the sidelines until you get the price down.

I'm a noob and the the chip amp forum, group buy, and trading post forums are the only ones I view. I'm sure if people in solid state and tube see something like this they might want to buy a few.

Also if the price went down to $20 (I saw someone say) if we get 100 then I'll buy two or more instead of just one. I'm sure others would agree to buy a few more for the big price break and the trading post forum is always a good place to sell the extras you buy.

Current list:
KT: 50k and 100k or 2 100k = 2
hoyo55: 2 25K 100K = 3
randytsuch: 50K = 1

darkmoebius: 10K or 1M = 1

------------------
Total = 39

kestrel200, Appalachian Mtn is where I'm going. I'm quite excited! Never been skiing before so I thought this would be a good place to start. If I can do it & want more, next time we'll go for sugar mtn. Funny how we have ~ 300 acres in the mountains of Morganton (off 181 between Lake James & Table Rock) & I've never been skiing up there. Living in FL we do it on the water :D

Now on to business....

darkmoebius & moe29, the 5K & 1M may not be "doable" but the rep is checking on that. We may need to reconsider values or cancel out. All other values should not be a problem.

Here is a price break down:
30-99 = $37
10-249 = $31
250+ = $21

yldouright, If you want to wait until we hit 250 parts be my guest but I don't know if people want to wait that long. All I honestly was concerned with was hitting 30 so I could buy one cheaper & 29 other people could get a good deal. I want to help out as many as I can & I do see the potential for a larger order but again I as well as others I think don't want to wait forever to get their parts.
Like I stated before we have ~14 days (13 now) before I even do anything. I agree that it would be a great idea to move this or post another thread in the group buy forum. I'll see how this thing pans out & we will revaluate the situation when I get back on the 3rd.

Thanks so much to all who is going to make this possiable!
-Chris

cdoggy
You already have 39 orders on the list and many of the members would double their order at $20. PEC is not the only place to source these parts and even if they were, I believe they could be persuaded to accept a $2000 order for 100 pieces. I also want to suggest that Peter Daniel recommends that pot with his highly optimized design but that doesn't necessarily mean that users varying from his complete parts spec will achieve the same excellent result. Part selection is a symbiotic process and there are other very high quality pots on the market which can be used in this application. Either way, I wish this venture a happy conclusion because all audio projects need good pots and the cheaper we can get them, the more likely our successes.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Another pot ordered

I commit to one 25k stereo.

I agree- at around $25 the number ordered would double instantly.
Heck, everyone would only pay a bit more and get twice their order!
I would get 2 if the price lowered to under $30.
Also, how much cheaper is a mono pot than a stereo one?

Please shop the 100 quantity around- maybe the various sources will take us more seriously with that quantity.

At the moment I am using a 25k pot in my Brian GT gainclone, and it gets loud too quickly-my speakers are quite efficient. Because of this, at low levels the channel volumes don't track well at all. I believe I read here that these pots have a flatter curve at the beginning-right? also better channel matching- so I would be OK?

Well guys, I'm out of this buy....

After adding up all the parts/costs to build a fully balanced Aleph 1.7 preamp ( 88 0.1% resistors, 36 capcitors, 30 mosfets, 26 diodes, 8 rectifiers, 2 transformers, 4 pots) using premium components, I've decided to make the leap to a much simpler and more elegant solution - S&B TX-102 transformer volume contol.

I think it was the cost of premium capacitors and the frustration not knowing which brands to buy for which locations that pushed me over the edge. Way too many nights up late reading posts on everyone else's preferences and still having no idea what to do.

Anyway, thanks to all for putting this great buy together.

On the other hand, I'm about to spend twice what I was originally planning.:cannotbe:

Better be worth it.

So when can a group buy page start, and maybe Wiki page?

I want to hear my half finished Gainclone ;)

here I think is the list, this is in hopes of 100 pieces so if we get the 100 piece price break please state if you are willing to buy more.

Current list:
KT: 50k and 100k ?and? 2 100k = 4 ?????
hoyo55: 2 25K 100K = 3
randytsuch: 50K = 1

------------------
Total = 41 + moe29 + newbie88 + wyomitch + planet10

right?

Is anyone else up for adding atleast another one for a price break?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.