Ground Box, what is inside?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you have to coat the wooden antenna in c37 secret varnish to get the best out of it
I have not heard of this stuff. I surely won't claim to have heard it all but this just shows how much phoolery is out there. I've heard of Stradivari's laquer (among other things) as being his secret to violin tone, but not using the same kind of stuff for speaker cones. I once coated a 12" paper cone speaker with Varathane in an attempt to make it better, and it turned a nice falling response around 1 to 2kHz into something with lots of different resonances in that range. This might be good for a guitar or violin, but not for a reproducing device.

Nor an alleged grounding device, for that matter.

The second Google result is Rod Elliot getting "mad as hell" over this stuff (the first is the maker/seller's site, the third is a diyaudio thread from long before I joined). Elliot indeed goes on a rampage:

I Am As Mad As Hell - Find Out Why

"Wooden conductor" sounds counter-intuitive, but in fact wood is not a perfect insulator.

Measurement of the electrical resistivity and/or resistance of wood has been used industrially for many years as a technique for estimating its moisture content - moist wood being a better conductor than dry wood.

Wood is a poor conductor of heat (as well as other forms of energy) because it is covalently bound as a compound.As a result, it does not have the free electrons that scatter about to conduct different forms of energy like metals and other strong conductors do.

Ok Mark, I can grab Youtube audio and put tracks end to end in audio editor and then let the loopback recording do it's own thing while I go and do other stuff.
I have Scott's tracks downloaded and the link you provided, any other particular tracks you would like to hear treated ?.

Dan.

I may not be as cynical as some others when it comes to tweaks. But this one takes the cake. (The Carbon 37 one is close).
Of course it does look to contain some crystals, we all know how magical those things can be. Maybe crystals and silver work better then crystals and copper. This would back up the reports of the silver version working better then the copper version. :)
I might even build a DYI version. The next time I am bored out of my mind and need to do something stupid.

Of course, box contents is irrelevant.
FWIW it might be a solid cube of copper, silver, or any metal you fancy.

The problem is the Trillion ohm resistance between it and .... um .... "real" Ground :p

Now if you drill 100 thumb sized holes in that box and bury it 1 meter deep in your garden, within reach of a sprinkler so earth around is soft and moist and reaches inside through said holes, nothing to object :cool:

When I replaced an old defunct magnetic ballast in a 4' florescent lamp with an new electronic one a good while back I knew we were in for trouble with CFLs. I can see a peak around 22KHz on my FFTs when the lamp is on.

LEDs are almost as bad. I say almost since they are more efficient, they draw less current and produce less noise.

I haven't looked at the audio spectrum since installing LED replacements for some of my 4' florescent lamps in the garage. They are better over the lathe than the FLs were for light spectrum and illumination in general. I will probably have to be sure they are off when I'm doing any measurements of electronics though.

So many things to consider for my next house.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.