Ground Box, what is inside?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a powerplug and I have meters and meters (and meters...) of wires. I attached 2m of 1.5sqmm copper litz to the PE connector of the plug.

I rerouted the power cords of my stereo so that I have a power strip in front of me in a listening position. Stereo is connected to that power strip.

I started listening to music and plugged in the plug with the two meters of litz wire. No effect.
I then arranged the wire in various loops and coils. No effect.
I then hung the wire in a plastic bucket and filled the bucket with pebbles. No effect.
I added soil from the garden. No effect.
I watered the soil. No effect.
I took out the wire, buried about 15cm of it in a plant pot that has a growing, live plant in it. Then washed my hands, flipped the record and continued listening. No effect.

The last one is a bit tricky as of the time passed. So I pulled the wire out and laid it next to the pot. No effect.

My stereo isn't good enough, I have expectation bias and the used power strip and bucket and plant are just not of good quality is all I can draw from that.

There is a chance it could introduce RF into the equipment . . .
It is claimed that you can absorb stray RFI and EMI energy by placing a Receivus on top of your amp, DAC, power supply etc.
"The flat wooden conductor acts like an antenna and is tethered to a ground box".

Attachments

• Receivus.jpg
    Receivus.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 403
... Wouldn't it be more open-minded to try the technology first before dismissing it?

Would it be closed minded of you to dismiss it if I say that with the new special wrist band I bought I went onto my roof, flapped my arms jumped off and flew around the neighborhood without trying it yourself? The laws of science and physics are real and don't have to be tried before dismissing some things.

So called 'open minded' people willing to try things like this make a lot of money for these companies.

One can be open minded and still exhibit critical thinking.

More important is what's on the outside; if the victim is susceptible to psychobabble FUD and FOMO it will work just fine and it doesn't really matter what's on the inside

The placebo effect and expectation bias are real, proven things and yet whenever some weird change or addition to an audio system make it sound better so many still decide it was the change that made the difference, that is only heard and can't be shown in any tests, not the expectation.

We are hearing hoof-beats in California and are skipping right past thinking they are Zebras to some sort of alien species with hoofed feet and the ability to fold time and space for interstellar travel when right around the corner is a herd of horses.

Last edited:
What technology its a piece of wire, unterminated and a box!!!
Its sole reason for existing is to generate money from audiophiles...
"Generate" is not the verb I would use here. Perhaps transfer or take. Certainly nothing is generated outside of someone's mind.
Would it be closed minded of you to dismiss it if I say that with the new special wrist band I bought I went onto my roof, flapped my arms jumped off and flew around the neighborhood without trying it yourself? The laws of science and physics are real and don't have to be tried before dismissing some things.

So called 'open minded' people willing to try things like this make a lot of money for these companies.

One can be open minded and still exhibit critical thinking.

The placebo effect and expectation bias are real, proven things and yet whenever some weird change or addition to an audio system make it sound better so many still decide it was the change that made the difference, that is only heard and can't be shown in any tests, not the expectation.

We are hearing hoof-beats in California and are skipping right past thinking they are Zebras to some sort of alien species with hoofed feet and the ability to fold time and space for interstellar travel when right around the corner is a herd of horses.
I have a lot I could say here, but some of it may be veering off topic for the site.

Regardless, I've read and posted this many times, this was one of the best scientists of the 20th Century:
Cargo Cult Science

"Wooden conductor" sounds counter-intuitive, but in fact wood is not a perfect insulator.

Measurement of the electrical resistivity and/or resistance of wood has been used industrially for many years as a technique for estimating its moisture content - moist wood being a better conductor than dry wood.

Post them for open discussion? The wolf is growing gray hairs.
Hi Scott.
Name a few, say three tracks, any tracks, if I can't find them in wav/flac I can suck audio from Youtube clips in real time, and then process (loopback) twice, first with my present custom cable and next loopback recording with ferrite filter added.
This setup is demonstrating changes, ie both recordings are different wrt the original wav (to be expected of course and according to usb soundcard quality) and the recordings are different wrt each other.
I need to go get two 6.5 trs plugs to make a 'standard' cable which can run naked, goop, ferrite, goop+ferrite recordings and be more representative of interconnects than the current custom cable which cannot be un-gooped.
Shock me with your music choices, lol.

Dan.

George, hows the 60Hz and harmonics down there?

Compared to my previous living locations, this one is dead.

My childhood house, 0 to age 20:

120 KV transmission lines along with 7200 volt distribution lines ran down one side of the property. 3 blocks away lived a 5 KW AM radio station. Two houses down lived a ham radio operator who had lots of $$$ (a professor at UM) but didn't know how to tune his 1 KW Collins, so my TV went bonkers during Mission Impossible.

Various rental locations from age 20 to 25 ranged from OK, to "can't even play the stereo" due to an interstate in the back yard during the CB radio boom.

Age 25 to 62: The house at the edge of the Florida Everglades started out pretty quiet, but became pretty nasty in the last few years. A set of very large HV power transmission lines were put in across the street. The insulators had a blue discharge, an audible buzzing, and nasty RF emissions up to about 10 MHz on hot humid Florida nights (about 350 per year). HF ham radio was useless, but I was mostly a VHF and beyond kind of experimenter......AT&T came along and stuck a cell tower across the street....that killed the moonbounce experiments. Our power ranged from 5% THD to nearly 10% after the pole transformer fried and was replaced with one that ran at the edge of saturation saturation.

So compared to my previous noise boxes, this place is pretty dead.....there are caveats however. I spent nearly two days chasing down some strange "oscillation" in a breadboarded amp without success. Then I discovered that these new LED light bulbs, and especially the 4 foot LED shop lights are broad band RF jamming devices.

I was measuring THD on a bunch of WE-417A tubes and found that the numbers went from about 0.5% to 0.2% just by turning all the lights off. A Sony TV set on the ground floor emits several discrete RF frequencies when turned OFF. If I really need RF deadness, i must remove power from the cable TV distribution amp since it brings 40 MHz to 1.5 GHz into the house, which of course kills TV, phone and internet, unplug two TV sets upstairs, and kill all the computers.

There is a 7200 volt power distribution line on the property but so far it seems pretty benign and the THD of the incoming power runs about 2% now, and just over 3% during winter, everyone has electric heat.

What are you measuring across? Ground to ground?

There is a broadband antenna connected to the analyzers RF input jack (the black thing sticking out toward the camera).

It is claimed that you can absorb stray RFI and EMI energy by placing a Receivus on top of your amp, DAC, power supply etc.

Where have we heard that before? Shakti Stone.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.