Good tweeter for less than USD 25.00 each?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
tcpip said:

May God give all of us this sanity, specially in moments of great agitation. :D

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. And I have a loooong way to go before I can hear the difference between those very expensive drivers anyway. :)

Yes its all very diminising returns at that price range.

It may cost 14x more than the very good Seas 27TFC/G but you'll be very lucky if it measured/sounded twice as good. But you do have to pay to get those small but noticable improvements since your approaching the limits of what manufacturers can produce at this time.

For some folks that's a complete waste of money for such an improvement vs. cost ratio. And for others they want or need drivers like the Scan ring because because they offer that little more and maybe cost doesn't factor in so much - possibly a case of more money than sense?

The more tweeters you hear, the more the decent ones really stand out.

Eitherway we make our decision and hopefully we are happy with that.

ShinOBIWAN said:
The more tweeters you hear, the more the decent ones really stand out.
I think this is the most important thing. One has to hear a lot of different types of drivers and speakers and amps and so on to be able to discriminate good from bad. And for newbies like me, I feel this is the thing I need to concentrate on the most. Today, I'm pretty certain that I won't be able to hear the differences between two speakers which are both built well and whose only difference is the tweeters, provided both of them use fairly flat-FR tweeters and have well-designed xo's. Basically, the difference that the driver per se makes to my limited hearing, specially the tweeter, is probably very small today. Unless I learn to hear the difference, I'm going to be no good as a speaker designer.

I guess this learning is the real fun of the game... being able to hear the difference that good quality makes.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
tcpip said:

I think this is the most important thing. One has to hear a lot of different types of drivers and speakers and amps and so on to be able to discriminate good from bad. And for newbies like me, I feel this is the thing I need to concentrate on the most. Today, I'm pretty certain that I won't be able to hear the differences between two speakers which are both built well and whose only difference is the tweeters, provided both of them use fairly flat-FR tweeters and have well-designed xo's. Basically, the difference that the driver per se makes to my limited hearing, specially the tweeter, is probably very small today. Unless I learn to hear the difference, I'm going to be no good as a speaker designer.

I guess this learning is the real fun of the game... being able to hear the difference that good quality makes.

All good points.

You'll know when you've found a high quality drive unit and that will be one that you really enjoy listening to.

Its that simple, doesn't matter what anyone else or the measurements say.

'one has to hear many drivers'

One has to hear a few high-end drivers & a few ok to good drivers as one high quality driver will spoil you.

Another important detail is using an ultra high quality amplifier. The amp will seperate a good driver from a great driver quickly. I prefer DIY tweaked tube designs as SS never came close (no flamer).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.