Good tweeter for less than USD 25.00 each?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I heard the audax TM025F1 once for about 10 minutes and thought it was real good. I would really like to try it for 2 reasons.
First, it is really small with a small faceplate so it can be really near the mid driver. (there is also a truncated version which is even smaller).
Second, high sensitivity
I would like to build a MTM arrangement with it.

Worked with the Seas 27TFFC which is good and the Vifa D27TG05 also. These are solid value, can't go wrong tweeter. The 27TFFC is a DIY favorite but IMO, don't cross it below 2500 Hz second order electric. Some people will disagree and say that it can be crossed at 2000. But in my system, it sounded rough at loud volumes.

I guess it is in this price range (25-30$) that you get the better value.

F

I have used the MDT-20, 811515(whatever), and the Dayton. I like them all because of their low resonance/crossover frequency.
I think the Morel is the most musical. It also can handle a heck of a lot of power. It does lack a little super-high sparkle, but it is very nice.
The Peerless is definitely the brightest. It really has a high end sizzle. I have heard some reviews say that it gets a little metalic at higher volumes. I haven't quite had that experience, but I can see the tendancy for some high tin-like sounds.
The Dayton appears to be a nice (and cheap) compromise between the two. A little bit more high end(than the Morel), without overemphasis (like the Peerless).

Go to the North creek music systems sight...There you will find the d25-06s these are $36.00 the pair...George Short has these made in China and says they are comparable to the scan speak d2905 which are $172 the pair...I bought a pair, and I agree...they're pretty good...North Creek Music Systems is a very good vendor for drivers-caps- and what not.

random_id said:
I think the Morel is the most musical. It also can handle a heck of a lot of power. It does lack a little super-high sparkle, but it is very nice.
The Peerless is definitely the brightest.....
Very nice comparative note, thanks a lot. I just wish you'd also gotten around to trying one or two of the others, specially the North drivers. Would have made my job so much easier... :D

You have a nice array of tweeters to pick from there so all i can suggest is take a look at the spec of each and see which ones suit your application the best.

Seas 27TDFC: $28.85/ea
The TFFC has nothing but praise I would like to try this model but have a surplus of tweeters at the moment anyway.

Morel MDT20: $26.15/ea
I have used the MDT30 a very nice tweeter and can handle LOTs of power if this is one of your main concerns.

Audax TM025F1: $19.10/ea
I have used this too, would not rate it as highly as the morel but thats comparing it to the MDT30 and not the 20.

North D25-06: $36/pair
I have used a pair of vifa tweeters I bought on ebay D25TG i think, these do sound brilliant for the money but the ones I used have a res of 1700hz so cant be used low. If the North tweet is anything like this but better then your not going to waste any money on those.

Peerless 811815: $17.80/ea
Only used peerless mid/bass but they are great bass drivers for the money. XLS great bass driver full stop.

Dayton (PE #275-070): $15.50/ea
Cant say anything regarding this tweeter.

I'd go with the north creek, seas or morel.

HMMM.....

2 or 4(!) midbass drivers crosswed over using LR4 at 2.5Khz.

I'll note THE LR4 should ideally be used with 1 mid unit, 1 tweeter,
so I'd suggest a 2.5 way with the other bass unit for BSC.

If you want use use 4 drivers then a 2.5 way MTMMM is possible.

Of the tweeters discussed the new Seas is a excellent choice.

With LR4 2Khz c/o is possible, but note you are asumming
your bass / mid drivers measure flat - which is unwise.

:) sreten.

If you want to go even cheaper, the Peerless CT62H (801730) costs < USD 10ea, and has a very flat response, with acceptable dispersion. Its resonance frequency is 1500Hz, but it is damped enough, at a Qts of 0.79...

I'd assume it can take more of a beating than many other drivers.

random_id said:
The Peerless is definitely the brightest. It really has a high end sizzle. I have heard some reviews say that it gets a little metalic at higher volumes. I haven't quite had that experience, but I can see the tendancy for some high tin-like sounds.

Can second that. Actually there are three flavours: A plain WA10 without ferrofluid, WA10TV, a screened version without ferrofluid and the WA10-F, as the WA 10 with ferrofluid. Have used the WA10TV for a pair of PC speakers with good results. But indeed they need a bit of taming in the x-over for the upper end. Have no experience with the WA10-F.

Spare domes are app. EU10 and replacing is a snap.

Cheers ;)

801730 - Ct 62 H

Its the only Peerless tweeter I like, the
domes tend to be relentlessly bright, its
not surprising the Germans like them*.

On a stiff budget you can do a lot worse.

* German hifi has a deserved reputation for lots
of treble, special versions of cartridges with too
much treble are made to be sold in this market.

Attachments

• 801730.jpg
    801730.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 587
5th element said:
I'd go with the north creek, seas or morel.
Actually, I'd probably go with one of these too, and probably with the NorthCreek model, partly because of price. I don't need all that much power handling, so I don't see why I should pay the premium for the Morel. (If I was on a big-budget project and could afford the MDT33, I might have taken it for the sound quality, irrespective of power.) Thanks for the comparison.

sreten said:
2 or 4(!) midbass drivers crosswed over using LR4 at 2.5Khz.

I'll note THE LR4 should ideally be used with 1 mid unit, 1 tweeter,
so I'd suggest a 2.5 way with the other bass unit for BSC.
Can you please elaborate on the LR4 being used with 1 mid and 1 tweeter? Does this have any connection with polar patterns between the tweeter and the rest of the midbass units? And a freshie question: does the BSC problem disappear if I keep the speakers pushed against the rear wall? Won't the speakers radiate into 2pi at all frequencies in that case?

If you want use use 4 drivers then a 2.5 way MTMMM is possible.
You really think this will be better than a TMMMM? I'm quite clueless, so everything seems equally confusing to me.

With LR4 2Khz c/o is possible, but note you are asumming
your bass / mid drivers measure flat - which is unwise.
Actually, my friend Angshu has built speakers with the same midbass drivers and a different dome tweeter, and with LR4 at 2.5KHz, he's got an overall flat response. That's the basis of my trying to build something myself, but with more midbass drivers to get more SPL at low frequencies. (That was the problem with his design... he ran out of excursion. At low volumes, his speakers sounded very good.)

Re: 801730 - Ct 62 H

sreten said:
Its the only Peerless tweeter I like, the
domes tend to be relentlessly bright, its
not surprising the Germans like them*.

On a stiff budget you can do a lot worse.

* German hifi has a deserved reputation for lots
of treble, special versions of cartridges with too
much treble are made to be sold in this market.

I listened to it once. Too bright for me, even if I'm only 20km far from Germany ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.