Good tweeter for less than USD 25.00 each?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
simon5 said:
The obvious answer is to read this test first, alot of inexpensive tweeters are tested.
Thanks for a very quick response.

I'd known about Zaph Audio's test pages. In fact that, plus SL's Website, were the places which taught me to look at distortion, not just SPL curves and off-axis dispersion. But I wanted more feedback from other users.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone used the Dayton Euro Series tweeters? Everyone appears to be raving about the RS series tweeter (twice the price that my budget permits), but no one seems to have reported anything about the Euro Series ones.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Another vote for the Seas 27TBFC/G. I'm surprised it didn't get more votes as its probably the best one under $40 or maybe even $60.

I also like the Morel MDT32s which is around $50 so quite a bit more expensive than your original requirements.

Vifa XT19 and XT25 are also very good for the money as well as my favourite the D27TG.

Re: Tweeter tests

RussianBlue said:
You should also take a look at these distortion tests,
quite informative, I think.
Yes, I saw those too. A lot of the tweeters discussed are outside my range, but a very interesting set of graphs nonetheless. This site, and Zaph's tests, together completely break the link between price and performance in these devices, don't they?

ShinOBIWAN said:
Another vote for the Seas 27TBFC/G. I'm surprised it didn't get more votes as its probably the best one under $40 or maybe even $60.
I'm getting the same picture. I think this is one item I should plan to stock up on whenever someone can bring me back a few from the US. (None of this available in India, :( )

Vifa XT19 and XT25 are also very good for the money as well as my favourite the D27TG.
I'd asked this once in some other thread and had received no responses. What's a ring radiator and why is it so special? Why does SS ring radiator cost so much more than the 2905/9900 for instance? Is it off-axis dispersion? Power handling? Low distortion??? I've never been able to find any conceptual discussion about the ring radiator construction per se.

The D27TG is one of the very few good overseas models of drivers available in India over the counter. And at quite reasonable rates.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Re: Tweeter tests

Originally posted by tcpip I'd asked this once in some other thread and had received no responses. What's a ring radiator and why is it so special? Why does SS ring radiator cost so much more than the 2905/9900 for instance? Is it off-axis dispersion? Power handling? Low distortion??? I've never been able to find any conceptual discussion about the ring radiator construction per se.

Ring radiator just describe the shape of the radiating area that passes the sound onto the air. Its like a donut shape with a fixed point in the middle.

The manufacturer's claim low distortion and improved directivity as advantages over domes.

I own the Scan R2904-7000 and I like it a lot, its very transparent and realistic. Seems expensive at first but the build, engineering and sound are spot on.

Re: Re: Re: Tweeter tests

ShinOBIWAN said:
The manufacturers claim low distortion and improved directivity as advantages over domes.
Have you seen any test results? Basically for that much extra money, I would need a bit of convincing. :confused: At that price, you'd get some top-class ribbons or other expensive tweeters. (Does this 2904/7000 cross over low, BTW? I guess it does, at least much lower than most ribbons.)

And by improved directivity, do you mean it beams more, or it disperses off-axis better?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tweeter tests

tcpip said:

Have you seen any test results?

There's a results for the XT25 and XT19 on Mark K's website. Also note that I said manufacturer claims ;)

Basically for that much extra money, I would need a bit of convincing. :confused: At that price, you'd get some top-class ribbons or other expensive tweeters. (Does this 2904/7000 cross over low, BTW? I guess it does, at least much lower than most ribbons.)

I've had a had a fair few tweeters including ribbons, the R2904-7000 is the best so far.

I wouldn't waste money on such a tweeter though unless your standards are very high and you find fault with even small things. There's many good tweeters out their that don't cost a great deal.

I'd like to give AC G1 a go and the idea of an Accuton Diamond sounds nice but there's no way I'd pay the price for them. Raven's R3.2MMX looks like a cracker also.

The R2904-7000 is best to my very picky ear at 2.5Khz+ if you want high SPL's. Cross under 2Khz and go really wild with the volume control and it soon gets harsh.

And by improved directivity, do you mean it beams more, or it disperses off-axis better?

Yes its more controlled.

Re: Tweeter tests

ShinOBIWAN said:
There's a results for the XT25 and XT19 on Mark K's website....
I found DX25, DX19, and XT25. No XT19. And to my untrained eyes, the XT25 has been bested by the Seas TBCF/G on all fronts. The FR however was remarkably flat on axis... don't remember too many tweeters matching that one.

I've had a had a fair few tweeters including ribbons, the R2904-7000 is the best so far.
Wow! That's a pretty strong statement. I can't even say I'll try it someday, because if I have that kind of money, I'll probably spend it elsewhere first. :)

I wouldn't waste money on such a tweeter though unless your standards are very high and you find fault with even small things. There's many good tweeters out their that don't cost a great deal.
Yes, I guess so. And most important, I think before spending money on expensive drivers, I need to learn how to hear differences caused by drivers. Otherwise it'll be money wasted.

... the idea of an Accuton Diamond sounds nice
You mean $2600 per driver sounds nice??? :confused:

The R2904-7000 is best to my very picky ear at 2.5Khz+ if you want high SPL's. Cross under 2Khz and go really wild with the volume control and it soon gets harsh.
How would you compare it with the 9900, subjectively? The 9900 costs less and can xo much lower, it seems. Just curious...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
tcpip,

I'd rather not go into the stuff on which sounds best, I merely recommended tweeters I've either heard or think would be decent candidates based on measurements and heresay. Regarding the R2904-7000, all this is subjective and you'll notice I never say things like 'its the best' more like 'its the best I've heard' there's a big difference ;)

Eitherway enjoy whatever you buy.

Ping Lionel (no flamer)

I have not visited Madisound discussion for about 4 years. Is the 'country club- your not a member' attitude gone yet?

It reminded me of high level corporate politics in that the subject at hand (sonics) was not near as important as being one of the boys slapping each other on the back.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Ping Lionel (no flamer)

amperex said:
I have not visited Madisound discussion for about 4 years. Is the 'country club- your not a member' attitude gone yet?

It reminded me of high level corporate politics in that the subject at hand (sonics) was not near as important as being one of the boys slapping each other on the back.

No offense but I'm confused :)

What does that have to do with tweeters and indeed what does madisound have to do with this thread?

Or was it just a troll?

Confused?

A few of us left madisound a few years ago Is it a relaible source like DIY Audio, or still having old ugly issues? My post is related as reference was given on this thread as a good source. Seeking accurate & open minded info has nothing in common with being a troll.

I should be more careful with verbage...

Anyways, I read with interest & really enjoy bargain items as I am building speakers for my 16 year old daughter. She plays guitar & piano.

The Audax TMO25F1 does nothing poor, but does not provide that 'wow' factor. I heard worst by a long shot.

Not in the list is the Scan Speak D2010-8513 that I think is way over priced regarding performance & must cross over too high for any real power.

Out of the price range is Seas Excel TF25CF-001 that gives me goose bumps or that 'wow' factor.

An important component is the crossover. Inexpensive motor run oil caps or Sonicraft AudioCap PMMF capacitors perform well. A cheap cap can undo the benefits of a wise tweeter choice masking performance.

Sorry I have only 5 cents worth of info.

Since I've seen the 811815 being discussed alot I thought I would add my opinion of it. I am currently using it in my bookshelf system with a 6.5" peerless CSX driver. They are crossed at 2600Hz 2nd order. There is a zobel on the woofer only.

Personally I think for the cost it is a great driver. Very flat frequency response, a little harsh at times (maybe the tweeter could be attenuated a little more in my crossover). The only real complaint I have with it is with certain singers the 's' sound is over emphasized. I'd say it's very well worth the money, and am curious to know how it's replacement (81130 - low compression version of same tweeter) compares to it.

ShinOBIWAN said:
Regarding the R2904-7000, all this is subjective and you'll notice I never say things like 'its the best' more like 'its the best I've heard' there's a big difference ;)
May God give all of us this sanity, specially in moments of great agitation. :D

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. And I have a loooong way to go before I can hear the difference between those very expensive drivers anyway. :)

Re: I should be more careful with verbage...

amperex said:
Out of the price range is Seas Excel TF25CF-001 that gives me goose bumps or that 'wow' factor.
Are you referring to the T25CF-001 (E006)? I guess at that price, there's competition from the SS 2905/9500 and some others. And it's out of my budget anyway... :(

And going purely by SPL curves, I'd probably have to cross this thing higher than either the T25CF-003 or the Millenium.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.