Genesis Stealth Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had the final shipment of Mouser parts (for my Genesis Stealth) shipped to him a couple months ago and haven't heard a word since. He didn't even acknowledge that he received them ...but they were delivered according to the tracking number.

Does anyone here know him personally, maybe have his new phone number or know what's going on with him?

Last edited:
A couple people have told me that Pete recently got a new job and has moved from his address in Seveiville TN.

I had Mouser parts delivered to his Sevierville TN address as recent as 12/9/09. So he's moved within the last 5 weeks? To where?

Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
Well, I did what people said and called the police in TN. They wouldn't do anything until I called my local PD and filed a report here. I did that and then called back the TN PD. They finally agreed to go see if Pete still lived at the address.

Guess who called me a half hour later?!

To make a long story short... my still inoperable amp will be boxed up and ready for my shipper to pick up in 24 hours.

So, I still own a 160 lb doorstop... except now it has about $500 worth of new parts installed in it. Amazing. Just f&*ing amazing.

I will say that had I not called the cops... I probably would never have seen my amp again. Pete said he had sold all his tools & expects to be homeless and traveling from soup kitchen to soup kitchen soon. I asked him what would he have done with my amp and how would I have ever retrieved it. He said he would have just left it in the garage and I would have had to get it from the landlord or next tenants. It was clear that he had absolutely no concern for me or my amp. He definitely wasn't going to contact me again. What an absolute POS he is.

If I was any closer to TN I'd... ahhhh, nevermind. :mad:

Last edited:
From what I see, it's all about motivation or lack thereof. I honestly have no symapthy here. He's whining about how he's worried about where his next meal is going to come from. I said... well, if you fixed my amp like you said you would, I would have paid you money and you could have eaten. He says yes, but that money would have only lasted a few weeks. I said yeah, and then you repair another piece of electronic equipment for someone else and so on and so on. That's how self reliant, motivated people make a living! He's not crippled for cryin' out loud!

It's called life. It's tough all over. If you're hungry, get off your a$$ and do something about it. If you choose to lay on the couch and moan about where your next meal is coming from... instead of working to earn money so you can eat... I have no sympathy for you.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad:

Last edited:
I've been to Sevierville TN and there is not much there. Gattlinburg and Dollywood are nearby over the mountain. I am glad you are getting your amp back even if it is in pieces. Good luck in your Quest for a repair, as it may seem weird to you Os has been on this forum for a long time I hope he finds his way as well.

Best Regards, Elwood

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
He's whining about how...

Seems you are doing a fair bit of whining yourself. Why not take your lumps and move on?

Anyone who has been paying attention could have easily seen that OS was fairly inexperienced when he first appeared here. He learned quickly but still a year of playing with LT spice and slapping amps together doesn't make you a qualified technician. He may have been incapable of repairing the amp to its original condition: This is what you should have determined before you sent it out.

You should swallow your loss and look for a LOCAL qualified shop to repair the amp.

Seems you are doing a fair bit of whining yourself. Why not take your lumps and move on?

Anyone who has been paying attention could have easily seen that OS was fairly inexperienced when he first appeared here. He learned quickly but still a year of playing with LT spice and slapping amps together doesn't make you a qualified technician. He may have been incapable of repairing the amp to its original condition: This is what you should have determined before you sent it out.

You should swallow your loss and look for a LOCAL qualified shop to repair the amp.

Believe me I have looked for local technician but no one I've contacted wanted to touch it. If you can recommend someone in the north east USA please let me know.

Before going to Pete, the amp sat at Dalbec Audio in Troy NY for a while. They eventually told me they couldn't fix it. Then, it sat in Scott Franklands shop in California for 5 years. He couldn't/wouldn't work on it for whatever reason. Evidently, it's too complicated for most techs? :confused:

I've been taking "my lumps" and "swallowing my losses" for too long with this amplifier. I'd like to just get it repaired. :eek:

<whine-off> :)

Last edited:
Hi d0n

Your loss is financial and limited to $1,000. I know its not a small sum but I'm sure its not going to ruin you financially. I believe its not merely the money but the treatment. I can appreciate your frustrations and anger. Let it pass. Write it off as another part of the repair bill for the first amp that OS did.

I am more concerned with OS situation. Somebody around the vicinity should pay him a visit and see what the real problems are? Is it financial or more than that. It is important not to allow it to spiral out of control.

Regards
Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's a mess - for everyone

Hi Bigun,
Thanks for the vote of confidence, it's appreciated.

Hi d0n,
I'm very sorry to hear about your amplifier. To be honest with you, ostripper has always been helpful and on the up and up. There must be something terribly wrong in his life right now. I really hope he can get things back together. Every person who falls costs us all in one way or another.

So, how to proceed from here to get you a running amplifier? That's your new (and only) goal from now on. Understand that you can't get blood out of a rock, and when someone is down, too much pressure will make them walk. So what ostripper is doing is not at all unexpected. It's not good, but what other choices does he have? I'll bet he had to sell his stuff, and without wheels and a place to go, there is no choice but to walk aways from everything. I've known a couple otherwise good people who found themselves in that situation.

Some people are aware that I'm going through some trying times right now. As such, I won't even consider looking at new projects until I can return some very deserving people's equipment to them. Once that has happened, I don't have any problem with looking at your amp for you. You should already have all the parts I think. The thing that kinda grabbed my attention was the cost of shipping. I've always refused work that would cost a great deal for shipping. After all, there should be a good technician closer to you. There has to be.

What I will offer to do for you is this. Once I'm in control of my life more, and have my workload up to date, I will agree to have a look at what's going on. Most good technicians should be able to handle that amp, so I'm not sure why you're having such great troubles getting to serviced. I will need the documentation that details how your amplifier is built. Things like the component values you have used if they differ. 1 oz copper clad should be no trouble unless the pads are too small or traces too thin.

About shipping. Is there any reason why your amplifier needs to be shipped with it's complete chassis? All you should really need are the output assemblies and heat sinks. If the amp requires a regulator, it needs to go as well. I don't see why the power transformer / filter caps / chassis needs to go with the amps. I'm not familiar with this amp anymore, it's been a while since I've been able to spend any time around here. Still, shouldn't be a problem. I've spent my life fixing amps that other shops have had a run at.

Can you do me a favor and post a couple shots of the amp in it's current condition? Once things loosen up for me, and if you want to have me peak at it, I'll have you send the details of it's history. Note that I really hate dealing with the border, but I'll do this in your case.

So, want to start with some pics?

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi d0n,
I took some time to see the previous posts. At least I understand why you shipped the amp complete. I really don't want to have you sink into shipping hell again. I expect that the documents are now difficult to get your hands on, although I would like to read up on this thing.

I also think that you have had most of the expensive parts installed already. The only questions will be outputs and PCBs.

-Chris

Chris, thanks for the offer. Pete has all the documentation that came with the amp. Hopefully he will include it when he packs the amp tomorrow. He said he would. Somewhere on this vast internet is a PDF file of the schematics. A member here put them on his site for others to view. I lost them from my HD when I had to reformat a while back.

I sent them to other members here as well. Maybe someone can post a link or email the PDF file of the schematics to anatech?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.