Genesis Stealth Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
os, both sides heat up equally at full bias (100) but they don't heat up equally at the lower bias settings.

Well, that is good , at least you can get balanced sides at full bias. I ran your present stealth at the 50 mark after the amp change and both sides heated up. I do have the matching amp to yours but shipping and then you swapping channels would be awkward , I will
fix #3 for free , you just send the parts.

I hope this will compensate.
OS

EDIT - D0N SAYS THIS PROBLEM IS NOW FIXED

Last edited by a moderator:
I definately don't want you to fix #3 for free! You've done a great job. I am in awe of your capabilities! #3 sat in a well known shop in california for 5 years... 5 years! The tech gave up and said he couldn't repair it. I sent it to you and you got it working in a week or 2. :eek:

You mentioned sending me a BOM for the materials you need for stealth #3. I may have missed it... but I haven't seen that yet.

I'm ready to zap the funds over, just let me know what you need. I can't send you the parts because I don't know what you need. I can send you funds and you buy the parts or you can send me a parts list and I'll buy em and then send em to you. However you want to work it just let me know.

I sent you an email about stealth #2. We'll work it out.

So begins the recapping of this beast , all the best ... 105c @ 100v X 132,000uf !!
stage 1 (the power supply /recapping - inrush thermistors), will be really labor intensive requiring a lot of solder and just massive physical replacement (attachment 1). Once I have all the nicely recapped supplies - (+ -75v main amps) , (+- 40v - VAS's) (+- 30v and +- 12v /5 V auxiliary supplies) that is alot of supplies - 68 caps... I will simulate the blown Voltage modules on LT to determine their method operandi... :) .

Mouser electronics is wonderful , bubble wrapped all the big caps , shipped lightning fast , A highly recommended source.
OS

Attachments

• 132200uf.gif
    132200uf.gif
    72.3 KB · Views: 516
that's a boat load of caps!

The big blue ones (8 X10,000u @ 80v /105c CDE)and the medium/small ones came today. I will try to replace as many as possible with my 25 watt iron + solder wick (I hope I have enough - 2/ 5' rolls). I might need to go for a 40w iron for the 10 gauge "electric range wire" the stealth uses almost anywhere.

The genesis stealth seems to be a mark levinson design with it's strings of diodes and use of current mirrors everywhere. By knowing this and having the schematic , I am sure this will be "doable".
Os

Joined 2007
Paid Member
That amps just nuts, haven't checked out it's actual schematic but 720W classA!!!! at one point I considered building a 50W class A and decided it was too crazy. Also amazing how much tech has moved forward as it's whole cpu card could be replaced with a single $2 micro nowerdays. Although the adjustable bias is clearly needed just to avoid the crazy electricity bills.

So begins the recapping of this beast , all the best ... 105c @ 100v X 132,000uf !!
stage 1 (the power supply /recapping - inrush thermistors), will be really labor intensive requiring a lot of solder and just massive physical replacement (attachment 1). Once I have all the nicely recapped supplies - (+ -75v main amps) , (+- 40v - VAS's) (+- 30v and +- 12v /5 V auxiliary supplies) that is alot of supplies - 68 caps... I will simulate the blown Voltage modules on LT to determine their method operandi... :) .

Mouser electronics is wonderful , bubble wrapped all the big caps , shipped lightning fast , A highly recommended source.
OS

Any progress updates or pics OStripper?

All done recapping / cleaning and fixing the messed up traces left behind by some one other than me !!

pix 1 - the easiest one to do , thick board , thick traces , never touched by previous tech - 80.000 uf CDE caps at 80V.

pix 2 - the input / aux. power supply board. This one also was restored to perfection (and works perfectly) never touched after it left genesis (until now). It has all the input relays/buffers ,+-5v, +-15v, +-30v, and +-42V, and holds the voltage amp boards.

pix 3- Main amp (26,400uf per channel)... this is the heat generator (for those cold northern winters).

pix 4 - The voltage amp , these are both failed .. next I will simulate them because the schematics are vague and incomplete.

Next stage .. put all the power supplies back together and test for the correct voltages , soft start operation , etc.

All total 151,000 uf !!
OS

Attachments

• 80000uf_main.gif
    80000uf_main.gif
    57.3 KB · Views: 488
  • aux_supplies.gif
    aux_supplies.gif
    72 KB · Views: 480
  • mainamp.gif
    mainamp.gif
    68.3 KB · Views: 475
  • voltageamp.gif
    voltageamp.gif
    67.7 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
WOW! Looking good OS! Amazing work. :up: You changed all the Genesis 85 Celcius caps to 105 Celcius caps. I like that! :) This Stealth should be a lot more reliable now.

There are two main amp boards (L & R) being recapped (pic 3 shows one)?

Should we replace all the mosfets since we're (you're) recapping the entire amp? If there's even a hint that they should be replaced... let's do it. I'll order up whatever you need ... just say the word and I'm on it.

I still need to send the remote out so you can change the BIAS. I'll do that ASAP

Last edited:
Should we replace all the mosfets since we're (you're) recapping the entire amp?
Wait on the mosfets , I am going to test all 16 that I already have (any good way to test IRFp9240/240's ?? :confused::confused:) While reassembling the input/aux supply board (pix 2 above) , I noticed a regulator was shattered (the -5V one). The regulators are all 78XX/79XX ones , there are 8 of them. I think they were stressed by the voltage amps becoming "toast". I will email you with a list soon.

There are two main amp boards (L & R) being recapped (pic 3 shows one)?
I did the other one, too. It just does'nt have the mosfets replaced yet , BTW .. to do this the WHOLE amp had to be TOTALLY disassembled (every dang last screw)

We are now down to the cheap parts (IC's and discretes).
OS

Last edited:
This Stealth should be a lot more reliable now.

I did deduct one thing about this amp , I think it was the "show amp" (AES conventions ??) the 2 locks on the top cover show that it was "top secret" :D:D
It will not be any more , my simulator will see to that !!

by MJL - Looks like you're having fun with this monster OS
Not as easy as it may seem , our DIY amps are MUCH easier to work on , my biggest gripe with the stealth are the boards (maybe 1 ounce copper) ... so fragile and thin traces , still I only "buggered" 3 out of almost 150 connection points. :)

OS

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.