Genesis Stealth Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a request from a friend of a friend about a dead Genesis Stealth amp. Can't seem to find any real info about it, other than it takes a bloody forklift to move it. :xeye:

Honestly, I have to turn him down as far as helping to fix it unless I can get at least a schematic, or preferrably a service manual.

Anyone know anything about this amp? Is it possible to get service data? (I know the co. is belly-up, but maybe someone, somewhere has some info in their collection...)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Echowars,
Still, it is just an amplifier. You have a good channel. Just identify the basic circuit topology and go from there. If someone comes up with a schematic GREAT. If not, I'm sure you will recognise it as something it's close to.
When the logic gets funky or the regulator gets wacky, then a schematic saves your sanity.
-Chris

My understanding is that:

It will not power up.

Fuses are good.

Probably some sort of soft-start topology that needs help.

The two PS toroids are within an internal metal enclosure that is filled with what appears to be many pounds of hot glue...toroids are encased in the stuff.

The thing weighs 160+ lbs. I'm not big on lugging it around only to discover that I can't get to a bad connection on the transformers because of the glue. If I could get info...like schematics...that would give me a warm fuzzy about an ability to fix the thing, I'd say send it. As it is, it's a big, stupidly heavy Mystery Box that no one knows anything about.

As I said, I'm inclined to pass.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Echowars,
I know what you are saying. I have been in the same situation before many times myself. I'm thinking the supply itself is not working electronically. Having survived many Carver repairs after they were struck by other technicians (that I would rather have run from, we were factory warranty so I was scr***d). I learned how to power these guys up my way. Other amps were similar with different solutions. Takes a lot to scare me off now.

Anyhow, If you get involved, there is lots of help on this board. If we were close physically, I would gladly lend a hand. I hate to see a tech suffer alone. :bawling:
-Chris

I have 3 Genesis B200 Stealth integrated amps. All 3 need help. I do have schematics on PDF that I can email to anyone. Just ask me for em.

1 works but has a slight hum in the left channel and it doesn't play loud even at full volume. It has not been worked on by another tech. It has 2 small wires unconnected and I have no idea where they go.

The 2nd amp powers on but the LED flashes "CURRENT WAIT" and then the amp shuts itself off. It has not been worked on by another tech.

The 3rd one was at scott franklins shop in dan jose Ca. for 4 years but he never repaired it. He just didn't commit and gave up I guess. He put the burnt out parts in a bag and put the amp back together.

I'd like to find someone fairly local to Albany NY who might be interested in a project. I'd have no problem paying a fair price to have one or more of these amps repaired.

Local is key because they each weigh 160lbs and shipping is EXPENSIVE!

I'm a patient guy and am not looking for a free repair.

Here's a couple pics. The 1st pic os of the one that works but doesn't go very loud and has a left channel hum.

The 2nd pic is of the one that is stuck in a protection mode and flasshes "current wait". I popped the cover off so you could see inside.

If you're interested in repairing one, two or all 3 of my amps, please email me at dhopkin1@nycap.rr.com thanks!

Picture089-1.jpg

Picture081-1.jpg

Hello Don,

I'd like to take a peek at the schematics if you don't mind, thanx. Are these the amps that come with the extra large Genesis speaker system? I have two friends with that system and one had problems with the Aerovox electrolytics in the amps. I don't know if they ever caused any other problems though.

Craig

My forum membership doesn't allow me to send emails to members yet. I'm too much of a newbie I guess?!

If you email me directly at dhopkin1@nycap.rr.com I will send them to you. I uploaded them to my yahoo briefcase but I can't get the link to work.

Does anyone else know a place I can upload a PDF file to so I can then post a link to the file rather than send it via email?

thank s

It seems that I can't attach a file to the DIY email. If anyone wants to see the schematics, just email me @ dhopkin1@nycap.rr.com

The one amp that works has an obvious issue... 2 unconnected wires. It looks like the solder connection failed and they came loose.

I don't know if this would cause the hum in the left channel and the low-ish volume output. I can actually crank this amp to full volume without it being very loud.

There's 3 spots of solder with no wires connected. I assume the wires go to those spots but am unsure which ones. I have no idea how to read a schematic. :(

Picture083.jpg

It does work even with the unconnected wires! :dead: I haven't used it since I found out about the wires though.

Picture087-1.jpg

thanks. Maybe someone here will be interested in helping me out with the repair?

I've sent the schematics to 4 members so far! :)

ACD thanks - what is your email? I can't attach a file to an email through DIY.

bonsai, it is 160 lbs. In the literature it claims CLASS A power but someone on a forum mentioned that it wasn't true class A power. I'm not really sure what it is now!?:confused:

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Jan

Thanks Ill have a look at your site tommorrow.

Jan on another note, as Im in the process of changing computer hardware I was going through gigabytes of audio stuff I have saved on a couple of harddrives, these hardrives are pretty old and due for replacement , some are service manuals which you might be interested in hosting on your site. I fear losing some of this info because of the rebuilding of my hardware, if you interested we could combine a day and hour and I could send via messenger. It will be easier and faster for me that way as sending via email with my hotmail account would take ages.

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.