• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for RTX6001 Audio Analyzer with AK5394A and AK4490

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
@NicMac

You can probably eliminate a large part of the junk by using a different cable, e.g. something like figure 17 in this note:

Sound System Interconnection

Just remember to connect the chassis of the two units together to avoid large common mode signals.
Pin 1 of the RTX6001 inputs are connected to the chassis, they are not analog ground connections. So it is preferable to use the inputs as differential inputs, even if the source is single ended.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Its my role (yet again) to ask the dumb question: what software are you using here? Its screen shots makes it appear much more informative than either ARTA or Audio Tester...not that I am much versed in either.
The software is called Room EQ Wizard (REW) and you can find it here.
I'm using it here exactly for the reason you mention: (almost) all settings are visible in the screen shots, making it useful for RTX6001 owners to compare experiences without having to ask to many questions:)
At this point it seems more important to be able to compare our experiences on a single (free) software platform, rather than to discuss the benefits/defects of different softwares.
Just my 2c.

The lowest I can get is about 0.00005. How are you disabling the other channel?

It's required only in software where they use both channels (e.g. Audio Tester), ARTA and REW use only one channel by default so no special action is required.

BTW, attached is a measurement of a single-ended Viktor 1k oscillator using the RTX. The Viktor is crippled with a 30V smps (battery based DC-DC converter) when it needs 35-36V, so it's not giving it's full performance but the limiting factor here is the ADC I believe. (When pairing with a Hall notch filter with 4x9V battery, my Viktor was verified to have an H2 of <-150dB before).

Attachments

• RTX6001 Viktor Analog1 10dBV.png
    RTX6001 Viktor Analog1 10dBV.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 410
@NicMac

You can probably eliminate a large part of the junk by using a different cable, e.g. something like figure 17 in this note:

Sound System Interconnection

Just remember to connect the chassis of the two units together to avoid large common mode signals.

Pin 1 of the RTX6001 inputs are connected to the chassis, they are not analog ground connections. So it is preferable to use the inputs as differential inputs, even if the source is single ended.

I was also interested in how the loop back interconnects effect the results.

I did a few measurements to compare the use of balanced and single ended interconnections between the RTX and Victor generators, and the RTX detector. The measurements were taken first with balanced interconnects and then with single ended, without changing anything else.

The first two are using the RTX generator (i.e. loop-back) and the second two with the Victor.

Balanced is more pleasing to the eye, even if the actual THD and THD+N measures do not change dramatically.
Nevertheless, I seem to have quite a lot of common mode junk around here....
post639
are the four pics on order from left to right? :
balanced RTX - single ended RTX - balanced Victor - single ended Victor

where single ended is the BNC socket and cables.

Last edited:
Just test feeding 10 V from the generator in to Analog input on RTX 10 V input( loop back) you should see large number of spikes ( nyt posted earlier) in harmonics. This is without opening. But what we understand that you should have updated one as the second shipment took care of mods.

Just test feeding 10 V from the generator in to Analog input on RTX 10 V input( loop back) you should see large number of spikes ( nyt posted earlier) in harmonics. This is without opening. But what we understand that you should have updated one as the second shipment took care of mods.

The generator doesn't output enough voltage per leg to trigger the problem afaik.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
post639
are the four pics on order from left to right? :
balanced RTX - single ended RTX - balanced Victor - single ended Victor where single ended is the BNC socket and cables.

Yes - that is the order.
The RTX only has XLR input sockets so I used a BNC/XLR adapter cable for the SE measurements. However, as others have commented, and as demonstrated by Tim in post #646, much better measurements can be achieved single ended.
I guess I need to improve my cabeling:eek:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's required only in software where they use both channels (e.g. Audio Tester), ARTA and REW use only one channel by default so no special action is required.

BTW, attached is a measurement of a single-ended Viktor 1k oscillator using the RTX. The Viktor is crippled with a 30V smps (battery based DC-DC converter) when it needs 35-36V, so it's not giving it's full performance but the limiting factor here is the ADC I believe. (When pairing with a Hall notch filter with 4x9V battery, my Viktor was verified to have an H2 of <-150dB before).

May I ask which smps dc-dc converter that is?

//

Status
Not open for further replies.