• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Gb: F5 Pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want to use shielded cable, both ends must be connected - otherwise you have just made an antenna! ;)

Here is a picture of how I prefer to wire the beast:
http://viller.eu/audio/2009jan_gbf5/P1070474_wiring1.jpg

You can also make a more dedicated star ground if you like. Since this amp goes high in frequency you should try to keep inputs and outputs away from each other.

If you want to discuss cables more in detail, I'm afraid you have to join a thread somewhere else that deal with the topic - I don't mind to have the discussion here on the thread, but I just doubt you'll get many replies... ;)

I happened to my Amp!

:)

Sometimes the price we pay for learning the hard way.
I had connected the power supply (nice board BTW) incorrectly and fried at least 4 of my rail capacitors, also the beautiful isolator pads that I got from Tinitus, Yep, killed them too. Shorted out to ground and took out the TX transitors / one or two resistors and at least one of the variable pots.
At this point I'm concidering just starting over completely....again.
I'm having fun and that's the important part, right?

just in case, got any more boards available? (half joking)

I looked for you later at BA3 before the bar closed to buy you one more round. Found you with Nelson just as I was leaving. I still owe you one!
.:drink: Always good to meet a new friend.

Ron

I have just about aquired all the necessary parts to start my project, all I need now is the internal wire for the amp.
I am curious as to what the group is using for the different connections..
What quality and gauge for:
1)DC supply wires
2)signal input wire
3)output wire to the binding posts

I have ordered premium parts like riken and caddock resistors so I don't want to skimp on the interconnect wire!!!
So what's every one using??

Hi,

I started in DIY audio by building interconnects and power cords. My favorite is the 28gauge cotton covered silver wire by either Jupiter (partsconnexion) or VH audio brand (or just make your own, but much easier to buy). I've also put together gold wire interconnects but that was when gold was under $300 and it was still very expensive, but it does have a very rich warm sound compared to silver. For internal amp wiring I used 17g flat silver wire from ccsilver which you can keep bare if you dare or use cotton sleeving.
Pure Silver, Fine 9999 and 999 wire
and 20g for speaker wire with cotton or silk sleeves from vt4c which also sells a silver panel mount fRCA.
Audio Catalog

Garrett

Should I assume that the LED's are 24vdc??

You could once. Very bright and very short lived.........it's a terrible way for an LED to die. :whazzat:

Only if you have 7 or 8 of them in series. LOL

Normal Blue LEDs are about 3V - 3.4V and 20mA - 30mA like Christian said. Use the "forward volatage" as a reference and use a LED voltage calculator for your resistor value. Resistor can go on either the + or - side.
Start with a larger resistor than what you think you want and you can always go smaller if it's not bright enough.
Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.