• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Gb: F5 Pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a reply from Toroid Corp. of Maryland today with quotes for transformers. Here's the scoop.

QTY:- - - -10- - - - - - - - 25- - - - - - - 50

300va- - - -$91.15- - - - $76.16 - - - $70.27

400va- - - -$105.00- - - $89.51- - - -$83.34

500va- - - -$109.94- - - $94.53- - - - $88.42

Then add shipping from factory and shipping to your place.
I guess they are about as good as Plitron because they're made in the USA. Not sure how the prices compare. Probably close. If they are I might be inclined to go with Plitron since most high-end hifi companies use them.

I am complete novice so please set me straight, but is there really a performance penalty with the Antek transformers v. the plintron or Toroid. I really want the best performance from the my F5 & F3 when I build them, but i have used Antek transformers in the past on PeterDaniel chipamps and have been satisfied. No buzzing, humming or over heating however I always purchase up a few sizes up. On one 500VA tranny I use a soft start and DC blocking circuit and it sounds good to my ears.

Is there a test to gauge how well a tranny delivers?

Nick

Joined 2006
Paid Member
npapp said:
I am complete novice so please set me straight, but is there really a performance penalty with the Antek transformers v. the plintron or Toroid. I really want the best performance from the my F5 & F3 when I build them, but i have used Antek transformers in the past on PeterDaniel chipamps and have been satisfied. No buzzing, humming or over heating however I always purchase up a few sizes up. On one 500VA tranny I use a soft start and DC blocking circuit and it sounds good to my ears.

Nick

Nelson has played with these before, and states their value.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1272528#post1272528

I dont think he has listened to them to evaluate sound, and I dont know if there are other threads that discuss this. I have had no issue with noise buzzing etc, have with Avel.

I can hear differences in output and interstage iron in tube amp, but not sure what difference donut vendors will effect sound. At this point I am only interested in that.
;)

PLTRON better pricing

I got a reply from Toroid Corp. of Maryland today with quotes for transformers. Here's the scoop.

QTY:- - - -10- - - - - - - - 25- - - - - - - 50

300va- - - -$91.15- - - - $76.16 - - - $70.27

400va- - - -$105.00- - - $89.51- - - -$83.34

500va- - - -$109.94- - - $94.53- - - - $88.42

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLTRON pricing per their web site
For one 300 VA - $79.57
For one 500 VA - $116.00 can't remember the cents

Seems considering PLITRON's repulation, and who knows what TOROID wants for singles, I would buy from PLITRON

npapp said:

Nick

There's a couple opinions in This thread which gave me doubt.

I would question the quality of the materials used in any Chinese made product.

I haven't done a comparison on the sound of them. I wish Nelson had listened and commented when he checked one out.

Why doesn't he use Antek?

Would you use Antek in medical life support equipment?

If they both cost the same, which would you choose?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
labjr said:

There's a couple opinions in This thread which gave me doubt.

I would question the quality of the materials used in any Chinese made product.

Are the Antek's chinese made? I didn't see that on my trannies.
I didn't see a direct comment on that in Peter Daniels comments. I am not sure Peter was using Anteks or some other manufacter.

mithomas said:

I didn't see a direct comment on that in Peter Daniels comments. I am not sure Peter was using Anteks or some other manufacter.

I think they are Chinese made. Unless he winds them in his kitchen in New Jersey. If they were made just about anywhere else they would probably have a label with the country of origin.

Reminds me of many brands of Chinese Hi-fi like Vincent. They always tell you the company is based in Germany, and they always fail to mention where it is made.

I'm not saying all products made in China are bad. It seems though if you don't own the company and can supervise every aspect of the manufacturing they'll use inferior materials and even endanger people's health and safety if they can save mere pennies. Look what happened with Mattel Toys.

mithomas said:

I never tried Anteks and I always use Plitron in my commercial amps. As for personal stuff, I tried those Polish transformers and they sounded actually better than Plitrons to me, but I had custom amorphous core version, which apparently is not available any longer: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1672066#post1672066

The Chinese transformers referred in the other thread, were some no name brand, but they looked quite well made.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
elecres said:
Why not use a r core transformer.I have one in my audio refinement amp and it is dead quite and sounds fantastic?

I am asking Custom Magnetics for a qoute on R-Cores, and one other company regarding R-Core transformers.

I have yet to hear back from them. Maybe 25-100 trannies isn't worth their bother.:mad:

I even have a inquiry into EI trannies as well.

My gut tells me a GB for Plitrons maybe our best bet.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Antek

Ed LaFontaine said:
Maybe John w/ Antek will weigh in with some facts? There is certainly info available on his site which goes beyond that which would promote skepticism...:scratch1:... ;)

...everyone still gets to decide for themselves...;)

A note from John of Antek.

Although they were made in China, we use the premium material. Our specification is also conservative. We have the direct control of the quality in our facility in China.
There was only one transformer return due to noisy humming for this year. The time will prove our quality.

John

:att'n: Settled:att'n:

Re: Antek

mithomas said:

A note from John of Antek.

Although they were made in China, we use the premium material. Our specification is also conservative. We have the direct control of the quality in our facility in China.
There was only one transformer return due to noisy humming for this year. The time will prove our quality.

John

:att'n: Settled:att'n:

I wouldn't say they will sound as good as Plitron based on that statement.

I would want to see comparisons with measurements and listening tests. I'm sure there are differences. Perhaps only subtle. But small differences can sound huge in high end audio.

Peter Daniel said:
Hammond transformers are also made in China now, and basically, performance didn't change.

Some of Plitron stuff is manufatured in China too but they may have their own facilities. I'm sure it's very different than the arrangement Antek has.

Selectronic r-cores

I sent them a note a few weeks ago.

They offer an R-core in 36-0-36 for 240 volts use which would work for our purposes. At a price in line with PLITRON toroids but I figure they are not interested. I never heard from them.

I would gladly participate in a purchase of R-cores from someone.

Am I assuming incorrectly that an R-core would offer a little more protection from AC line junk than the toroid?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some of Plitron stuff is manufatured in China too but they may have their own facilities. I'm sure it's very different than the arrangement Antek has.

When you use words like "may" and "I'm sure" it pretty much shows that we really don't know. How can you be "sure" ?

I guess they are about as good as Plitron because they're made in the USA.

"I guess"? just because they re made in the USA?

It appears the Nelson Pass seems to think that they are OK

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1272528#post1272528

Not a full analysis, but a data point at least..

He has to reject transformers from varios manufacturers due to noise. I think the worst we can say about Antek is "We don't know" Yet, actually we do know something- some have used them with success

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.