Gainclone building contest details (from BrianGT group order)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah what the heck, more pictures in the contest can't hurt :) Do you need them emailed, or can you pick them up off my ISP? I'll give you the URLs. I don't need more PCBs, and I've already posted the pictures in a different thread, but it'll be cool to have mine up there next to Peter's. Probably the only way that's going to ever happen :)

Anyway... the pictures are here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saurav/gc/1.jpg

They go from 1.jpg through 10.jpg (lower case).

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Saurav said:
Ah what the heck, more pictures in the contest can't hurt :) Do you need them emailed, or can you pick them up off my ISP? I'll give you the URLs. I don't need more PCBs, and I've already posted the pictures in a different thread, but it'll be cool to have mine up there next to Peter's. Probably the only way that's going to ever happen :)

Anyway... the pictures are here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saurav/gc/1.jpg

They go from 1.jpg through 10.jpg (lower case).

I added you to the gallery:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/nigc

Thanks,

--
Brian

here's one

Here's the first one with a permanent home. The other is layed out on a piece plywood.

Attachments

• woody1.jpg
    woody1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,667
Jamh

Very unique setup. Were you recycling something?

Neat how you've built around your superstructure :)

---------------

Ultrachrome

...it would have been neat to see the chips on top of the amp

-like you see the tubes on the Foreplay. That was a really good

idea though - that's an easy to build, functional chasis. :)

Line fuse? What line fuse? I'm still deciding on a power entry solution. I purchased a handful of the power entry modules Peter Daniel listed on his site but then realized last night that I don't have any fuses that fit it. I think I'm just going to hardwire the power cord with an inline fuse holder.

I must admit the enclosure was somewhat hastily conceived. I didn't know if I'd like it so I only used a 1/16" top plate and some recycled mahogany plywood from the 50's vintage kitchen cabinet doors a friend was ripping out of his girlfriend's house.

But I am pleased with the way it turned out. I just replaced the transformer bolt with a brass panhead screw which looks much better.

I've been running it for about 45minutes tonight and the 6" x 10" x 1/16" plate is warm near the chips but I can't detect any warmth toward the transformer side.

Moe, I thought about a way to show off the boards but I couldn't think of anything I liked.

I like the cleaner look of the clean top plate. In fact I would like to rebuild my Foreplay like Wardsweb did. Very clean. I have a picture of Wardsweb Foreplay hanging in my cube at work for inspiration.

But I still need to find a home for the first one I built...

Attachments

• catkiller1.jpg
    catkiller1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,454
Joined 2002
Jamh said:
Here's mine. It is version 2. version 1 was point to point and gave me a hard time, with your boards it was a breeze.

Jam

Looks good. I added all your pictures to the gallery.

So, the heatsink on the top is purely cosmetic? It looks like you are using the metal from the monitor for your heatsink for the boards.

Interesting amplifier. It sort of reminds me of Peter's Maple gainclone.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
ultrachrome said:
Moe, I thought about a way to show off the boards but I couldn't think of anything I liked.

I like the cleaner look of the clean top plate. In fact I would like to rebuild my Foreplay like Wardsweb did. Very clean. I have a picture of Wardsweb Foreplay hanging in my cube at work for inspiration.

But I still need to find a home for the first one I built...

You really need to have an in-line fuse on the hot AC line going into the amplifier. I am using a 3A sloblow for mine, but 2A is supposed to work just the same.

--
Brian

one thing i learned too... wrap the bare AC Inlet with electric tape
when you have it on the workbench like that... it's easy to
accidently brush up against it :hot: when taking measurements,
or just running it like that.

The more i look at the CHIPplay... the more i like it! Maybe I'll
make one like that to keep my Foreplay company :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.