Gainclone building contest details (from BrianGT group order)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And now the insides. The loose panel goes over the ac input for shielding in one of the groves. The teflon sheet is just for good measure between the top of the upside down diodes and the ac-shielding panel. The front door goes on last.

Attachments

• inside_view2_dq.jpg
    inside_view2_dq.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 965
It's working!

But there's room for improvement. There's a slight hiss and hum that you can only hear if your ear is a foot away from the speakers.

It doesn't appear to be a ground loop as I've tried it with a cheater plug. More likely, it's my shoddy wiring (I think my star ground wires are too long and the power supply lines could be laid out better). I guess I'm one of those who have to learn through mistakes. ;)

Great boards by Brian and he's always been helpful with advice.
Off to read up on DC blocking caps and star ground techniques.

regards

Dave

Attachments

• copy of pict 047.jpg
    copy of pict 047.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 718
Just finished my GC. It only took 1.5 years :smash:

I'm very pleased with the sound :cheerful:

I first build the amplifier in a single more traditional type of enclosure but I wasn't pleased with the looks and structure in general.

The power supply has two different power supplies. Minimal with Panasonic FC 1500 uF and Black Gate 4.7 uF and snubberized PS with 10000 uF caps. There are 100 uF Black Gates next to the LM3875 chip.

The power supply box still lacks wooden panels (similar to my other passive preamp). There's also some other minor finishing to do.

You'll find a bunch of pics here:
http://www.dvdplaza.fi/galleria/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3104

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

janneman said:
This one has a dual 30V/5.5Amps switching power supply with Vicor modules. There was no other way I could sqieeze it all in the tiny enclosure;)

The large (relatively speaking) pcb sits on top of the Vicor modules.

Jan Didden
What is the purpose of the aardappel on the amplifier? How does it affect the sound imaging (I guess it would make it starchy). Is the aardapple removed before or after the application of oude geneveer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.