Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, Jan, just having a little fun. I can easily imagine many many of the systems owned by others as sounding wonderful. My stuff is always seemingly a work in progress. If I thought I could reach a stopping point by mounting a chip amp on a pine board, I would have ceased a long time ago trying to improve. My wife certainly wishes I would reach a stopping point :D

Cheers,
Terry

Yeah, it's not the destination, it's the trip that counts!:cool:

Not exactly snake oil but who needs to spend $4000 on a record cleaning machine? :p
Oh yeah I forgot, those with lots of money and not much sense.

Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner | Stereophile.com

Collection archivists who need to automate the process of cleaning thousands of records before laser digitizing. The sound library at most music schools in colleges. The Smithsonian. Digitizing services. Certain radio station archives. You service the brushes every 1000 LPs, so it's reasonable whenever you have to clean hundreds of thousands of LPs. The principal is only a penny each over 400,000 records.

Last edited:
Well lets see how that wonderful record cleaner is doing for one satisfied customer ;) this is in the comments below the review.

"I've had a Keith Monks cleaner for about 30 years and thought it did a wonderful job of cleaning records. It did and still does. But the Audio Desk doesn't just clean records, it transforms them. Whether old or new, a clean in the Audio Desk uncovers sonic virtues not heard before.
Shortly after getting the machine my wife and I had been enjoying an original Seraphim of Maria Callas's 1953 recording of Norma.....We were both in awe of the recording and the pristine condition of that particular 60 year old disc. Not a pop or click. Wonderful sound in all respects. how could it be better? Then I cleaned it on the Audio Desk. When I cued it up I swear Callas was in the room with me. It was almost scary.
A while later my wife returned to the room and I cued up the record again. Within two bars my wife, not an audiophile at all, exclaimed with a start..."my god, she's in the room!"
Every record I clean reveals, to a lesser or greater extent, all the atributes we search for in our quest for better sound.
I have a very nice system comprised of individual components each costing about 5 times the price of the Audio Desk, but not one of them has had the impact that this machine has on my listening pleasure.
It is hands down the best component I have ever purchased during the 40+ years I have been involved in the hobby."

Wow that machine must have some powerful voodoo going on to do all that! I really loved the wife factor like all good "true" stories have, that really puts the icing on the cake:rolleyes:

obviously they have a "Stepford Wife", I have tried this and it is a fallacy...New speakers, new amps, you name it, sit Her down expecting words of praise and wonder, what do I get, "yeah!" or "well", jeez I added 4 15" drivers and she didn't notice!!!:)
She is more enthusiastic over music though than my photography hobby, except when it comes to hiring me out cheaply (for nowt!) to relatives, done 1 christening 2 birthdays and a wedding recently, and I have to buy the paper and ink!!!! because it is OUR gift to them...
In fact I think the only thing of mine she does notice is the inside of my wallet.

Within two bars my wife, not an audiophile at all, exclaimed with a start..."my god, how much did those f******* cost!":D

Lol, sounds like when my 30" monitor arrived, boy was I in the dog house.

Eventually my wife admitted she like'd it cos she can lay in bed and watch a bigger 'TV' now... just like all the other 'junk' i bought, it's not junk when it turns into a home cinema :rolleyes:

And...
The treble is brighter and a few links to mil spec cable...And why do you find silver plated (and tin plated) copper cable used for military applications?

Silver plated wire is used for RF where the surface conductivity is important. Silver oxide has the same conductivity as silver. See "LITZ" wire. I would suggest it is totally irrelevant to audio, but that is where the snake-oil comes in. You also see silver on all the old JAN-spec type N connectors and BNC's for the same valid RF reasons.

Tin plated wire protects the copper so you don'r get the green growing crud like half the "audio-grade super cables" generate.

Remember, "mil-spec" means ONLY that. It meets a spec. Many of the specs are actually very low.

No, that's an audiophile tale I've had to (for whatever reason) knock down repeatedly over the past few weeks. Silver oxide is semiconductive, but not nearly as conductive as actual metals, much less silver.

Even if it were, as far as I'm aware, silver doesn't oxidize under normal conditions. But it does react with sulfur compounds in the air, forming silver sulfide.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.