Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be the only person touching your wallet, bank card or phone.

My 2 year old grandson engages with us via his mums mobile with Whatsapp:D He is quite skilled in it's use, I'm not sure of his handwashing regime however.

Bank cards, during my dad's later years, I was entrusted with use of his bank cards on his behalf.

His was called Bill, how ironic;)

the only place you should spread it is the door handle on the way out.
Copper, more than just conductor for cables... Brass and Copper Door Handles - For battling germs and bacteria? | Our Blog

It is the same with free market capitalism. If we misinform consumers, they will buy the wrong things and make the wrong companies rich.
You mean if companies succeed in misinforming consumers, right? Because it's not automatic that people fall for misinformation. After all, we are humans, not sheep. But some do behave like sheep though.
With misinformation, the 'free market capitalism' is not just misnomered but development for our hobby stagnates.
Do you know what stagnates more?

Last edited:
You mean if companies succeed in misinforming consumers, right? Because it's not automatic that people fall for misinformation. After all, we are humans, not sheep. But some do behave like sheep though.
That's what I meant.
I could spend multiple lifetimes wading through misinformation before having the complete 2022 human experience in all professions.
'Falling for misinformation' and 'trusting what another person says' are two sides of the same coin to me. I just don't have it in me to exploit people based on their characteristics and I have a lot of trouble understanding people who do.
Do you know what stagnates more?
Tell me...

Indian Railways used a Titanium Dioxide coating on train door handles in an effort to make them germicidal.
That is the basic ingredient of any opaque paint of light color.
No, I did not follow up on its quality as a germ killer.

Some people here use pens on elevator buttons, and umbrella handles on doors in an effort to prevent contamination.

Indian Railways used a Titanium Dioxide coating on train door handles in an effort to make them germicidal.
That is the basic ingredient of any opaque paint of light color.
No, I did not follow up on its quality as a germ killer.
Some people here use pens on elevator buttons, and umbrella handles on doors in an effort to prevent contamination.

It seems that "the fear" of germs is promoted, like this so-called pandemic stuff.
Fear is used in advertising because it's a powerful tool of marketing, and companies know that.
It's made people nuts, paranoid, goofy.

Pandemic...I have seen too may seemingly healthy people die of it, so we differ it seems on the reality and its effect on society.

But yes, the fear of germs has made people behave in, let us say, a peculiar fashion.

I have a book about a saint which mentions that all animals have some basic instincts, among them fear, hunger and sexual desire, what separates us from animals is knowledge.
It then becomes the responsibility of the teachers that the student is imparted proper knowledge, and also the realization that one day the student may surpass the teacher in many ways.

But see what is happening, I see kids becoming social media influencers, whose knowledge and education levels are junk.
And schools, I think some people choose not to have kids, those are among the reasons. Don't start me on that long topic.

Anyway, now we are going a little off topic here.

Last edited:
That's what I meant.
I could spend multiple lifetimes wading through misinformation before having the complete 2022 human experience in all professions.
Since this is audio forum and the title of this thread is "Funniest snake oil theories", we can just focus of audio electronics.
'Falling for misinformation' and 'trusting what another person says' are two sides of the same coin to me.
Often those two come from one source (company or person). When people trust someone or some company, they make themselves become more prone to falling for x, y, z. Real life example of this on this forum is that someone registered and started posting just like typical forum member, questioning the claims of certain electronic components and ...etc. Little did people know that he was operating in sleeper mode, you know, to earn trust from other readers. Then one day, he removed his "mask" and went right to his work, a shill for a boutique audio business.

I have a lot of trouble understanding people who do.
Greed for fame and or fortune were mentioned earlier. Those two are pretty much the most common reason.
Tell me...
Since there are forum posting rules against politics, I'll just bring up a hint and leave it at that, North Korea.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Copper works better than silver.

Silver only has any biocidal effect if humidity is >95%. Copper does not need humidity.

I'm sure I once knew that and had forgotten. Thank you for the reminder.

I don't think it has any germicidal properties. It's just very white. It's in toothpaste after all

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Somehow I fail to clearly understand your comments to my posting.
I know greed is an age-old thing, my post was referring to modern times.
I see no evidence of greed being worse now than in the past. That was my point. You can't see through your clean window for your dirty rose tinted glasses.

like this so-called pandemic stuff.
Well denying a pandemic is a snake oil theory, it's just not a very funny one.

Status
Not open for further replies.