Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, I don't remember people in our generation talking about flat earth, a 6000 year old earth, or gravity being a hoax either.
Off the top of my head Creationism. Commies in every closet. The tobacco wars. Centuries of vilification of races, genders, same sex unions. Coworkers on the assembly line in the 70's whispering about Kids In Satan's Service. Discarded misinfo is quickly forgotten.

In "Propaganda" Bernays attempts to assuage the public's mass disillusionment over discovering the extent of the propaganda used to draw them into WW1. His stated mission is to rehabilitate propaganda in the public eye as a force for good wielded literally by the best and brightest. He brags in 1928 how these 'expert wise ones' corrected misinformation so the public would embrace the economic guidance of trusts and monopolies, one year before they destroyed the global economy.
No thanks on enforced 'correct the record' councils.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
They said the same thing about us, with our loud music and bell bottoms. :confused:

Exactly. It's funny how many people reach their 60s and forget what they were like in their 20s.

Even more amusing when same people were part of a generation that saw huge societal upheaval and a general loss of trust in what the government and big business were telling them. But they they got older and became part of the problem and the cycle continues.

Personally I have faith in the younger generations to screw it up less than their parents and grandparents did.

It would be nice to warn people officially about a fact, then charge or label them if they continue. Eventually being stuck with the label of "liar".

Ha! There is an alternative reality today, complete with its own alternative facts, right here in the US of A. Experts, you know the people that actually did the work and know what they're talking about, are mocked and vilified. Look at how science communicators like Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson are mercilessly mocked. They're the mouthpiece of the devil!

If we enforced reality here in the US, then 60% + of the populace would end up in prison. This place is La-La Land; home of the stupid.

His work has aged very well.

Experts, you know the people that actually did the work and know what they're talking about, are mocked and vilified.
Look at how people come right here every week to present their half baked ideas. Then engineers, you people that actually know what they're talking about, try to correct them. Then they argue with the engineers, acting like obvious and well established laws of physics are optional.

That's the US of A in a nutshell.

Exactly. It's funny how many people reach their 60s and forget what they were like in their 20s.

I remember well. I remember what it felt like to be a little kid too. It provides perspective.

But they they got older and became part of the problem and the cycle continues.

That is certainly the story of my generation.

Personally I have faith in the younger generations to screw it up less than their parents and grandparents did.

I do too, in a big way.

My buddy that I grew up with is severely critical of the younger generation. (He's severely critical of anyone to the left of Joseph McCarthy for that matter.) He rails on, vilifying young political leaders and their "commie" ways. I keep pointing out to him that it's their world now and they have to live in it when we're gone. He just doesn't get it, in a big way. But I sure didn't want to live in my father's world when I was young (that's an understatement) so I want them to be free to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, like we did.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Eddie,
I don't believe that the issues of "alternate truths" are a uniquely US problem at all. It seems to permeate every society these days and some of our biggest problem members do come from other countries. Don't get me wrong, we aren't free of them and certainly provide our share.

Greed and wanting to be famous appear to be the biggest motivators. One or the other, and sometimes both. I can think of one member who used to work for a famous person who is a prime example, and is not based on the North American continent. It is pathetic to see.

-Chris

Hi Eddie,
I don't believe that the issues of "alternate truths" are a uniquely US problem at all. It seems to permeate every society these days and some of our biggest problem members do come from other countries. Don't get me wrong, we aren't free of them and certainly provide our share.

Greed and wanting to be famous appear to be the biggest motivators. One or the other, and sometimes both. I can think of one member who used to work for a famous person who is a prime example, and is not based on the North American continent. It is pathetic to see.
-Chris

I've oftern talked about greed, and its powerful magnetic, yet ugly attraction.
It seems to have clearly blossomed over the past few decades, I'm sure many will agree to that.
Inflation and inflationary tactics are largely a part of it, like fuel to a fire.
Arguments concerning the justification of it are plenty, cleverly built-in by the ones behind the curtain who maintain the control of the economy, and its many mega-tools of industry.

A slap-in-the-face 1987 movie "Wall Street" with Michael Douglas actually confronts such beliefs, and ironically made people spend money just to see it.
So the greed here is established along with fame, another volatile commodity.
Wall Street 30th Anniversary - "Greed is Good" Clip - YouTube

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just found out an ex-friend of mine is motivated by massive greed. Looks like I will be taking him to court. Oh yes, he thinks he is great and has "golden ears". Can't hear a TV (old one) or my Nixie clock switching regulator that drives me nuts.

Greed is for sure the major motivator. Easy money at someone else's expense.

Yes.
And fear, backed up with propaganda is the best to move people into the irrational and desperate.
History is an ever show case.
Not so far ago Nazies and Communism instances.
Nowdays, Covid, Global warming, Energy crisis.

Yes indeed.
All designed to manipulate the masses and keep them under control.
All BS.

If anyone opens their eyes and uses common sense and their brain, it's like looking through a freshly washed window

Oh yes, he thinks he is great and has "golden ears". Can't hear a TV (old one) or my Nixie clock switching regulator that drives me nuts.
That's because he is just "golden ears", not the "trained golden ears". :p

scientist that operates as a spokesperson. You know what Neil DeGrasse Tyson does, right? He advocates for reality and addresses the woo peddlers head on. Same think Bill Nye does.
If you meant same thing Bill Nye does, Bill is not a scientist.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've oftern talked about greed, and its powerful magnetic, yet ugly attraction.
It seems to have clearly blossomed over the past few decades, I'm sure many will agree to that.

Greed has been an issue for at least as long as we have oral or written history. King Midas lived around 2700 years ago... Nothing new just your rose tinted specs.

Yes indeed.
All BS.

If anyone opens their eyes and uses common sense and their brain, it's like looking through a freshly washed window

Comedy gold.

The big problem is that all of the above mentioned is not only in the USA, Canada, UK and Europe. It is happening everywhere. Speak basic science and facts and you're a nay-sayer. I was raised to wash my hands with soap when necessary. Using all these sanitisers every time you walk into a shop, restaurant, building or whatever is actually killing the natural bacteria on our skin that actually help protect our skin, and us.

So you sanitise your hands, walk into the shop and then take out your wallet to pay for groceries. How clean is the money, or god forbid the bank card, your wallet or your cell phone. All of the above are invariably covered in germs etc. They're never sanitised at the door!

The politicians, their friendly-paid-for-in-the-pocket scientists and the media are responsible for a lot of the misinformation being spread about.
Especially when you are told "Don't think, don't do your own research, believe what we tell you" that is when I really start worrying about how much BS we're being sold. I was taught as a kid how to use the library index and catalogue, so that I could research facts, look up scientific information and complete projects for my schooling. I still do that but need to try and filter what is BS, misinformation or just not plain common sense.
Did I believe in the politics of Apartheid - not when I was old enough to realise how unfair and biased the system was, but by then it was too late - the damage had been done. The revolution had begun, and hate and revenge instilled into the subjugated - now we suffer even more here down south with a totally corrupt and moronic self-perpetuating useless government.

Oh bloody heck!! Tired of the snake oil, be it from vendors, politicians, media and whoever.
I'll just switch off my PC, go listen to some music and hit the sack. G'night all.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
So you sanitise your hands, walk into the shop and then take out your wallet to pay for groceries. How clean is the money, or god forbid the bank card, your wallet or your cell phone. All of the above are invariably covered in germs etc. They're never sanitised at the door!

You should be the only person touching your wallet, bank card or phone. If you don't follow any basic sanitation protocols that's your and only your problem.

You use the card before you leave so even if there is something nasty on the card the only place you should spread it is the door handle on the way out.

The keypad on the PoS terminal is the thing you should worry about.

Yes indeed.
All BS.

Hmhm.
Brexit was snake oil, and I don't think the people who voted lack common sense. To me it looks like they were just misinformed and might still be getting misinformed. Can we blame them for not washing their windows?

It is the same with free market capitalism. If we misinform consumers, they will buy the wrong things and make the wrong companies rich. With misinformation, the 'free market capitalism' is not just misnomered but development for our hobby stagnates. What would be in it for us?

Meanwhile, initiatives are made and actually starting to clean up rivers and the great pacific garbage patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.