Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine it depends....

Too many variables to have a reasonable conversation about without descending into madness.

Although you can use DSP on your computer during playback, and I’m sure you could consider that case as an improvement in sound, but the content of the cd has not magically improved.

Generally I’m not concerned with the last .1%. I’m concerned with overall enjoyment and ease of use, which for me translates into sounding better because I am happier with the way I’m experiencing the music.

People forget that mood / mental state is certainly “audible” in blind testing.

I’d venture a guess that if you look at a brain scan of someone who has high cortisol levels they’d experience a piece of music drastically different than with lower cortisol levels.

I believe they’ve done research into which frequencies are most disruptive / disturbing to those with autism as well.

So, I think it more sensible to consider oneself a piece of the playback chain, and one of more importance than let’s say 320kbps vs Flac.

I think this is the most overlooked component.

Last edited:
YouTube

Actually the Japanese doing this in 1969 kind of blew me away when a friend sent me a CD.

For me, Les Rallizes Denudes same era is what really blew my top off when I first heard it. They share a split LP with Taj Mahal Travellers on the infamous Oz Days Live 2xlp.

YouTube

Also I believe notably the only band to have a member successfully hijack an airplane.

Spanned 40 years of shows and studio recordings without ever releasing an album... everything that exists is live or bootlegged.

Scott if you haven’t already, this is an exceptional read:

Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll: Julian Cope: 9780747589457: Amazon.com: Books

(Yes, that’s flower travelin’ band riding motorcycles naked on the cover)

Another good one, same lineage as TMT a few years later.

YouTube

1000$ network cables. Nothing new but the marketing should have been illegal. At least in many countries it is.
RJ/E Ethernet

I would love the telephone extension at audioquest of the guy who’s job title is Ethernet cable listener.

Does anyone remember those telephone prank call albums? Someone should do an audiophile version contacting various manufacturers.

We can do a group buy and release it on quantum treated 15ips tape.

Last edited:
You guys might find this naive.
The LG Smart TV seems to have all the decoders built in and plays everything, I would never want anymore features than this.

I don't find it naive at all. Technology keeps moving and (mostly) improving. I'm an IT guy but I really can't keep up and still get my work done. I paid a s@#$load of money some years ago for a 720p 36" Sony TV; it's a good TV and I still like it, but literally a year later I could buy a demonstrably better TV from the same manufacturer for half the money. At the time it was a good deal!

I would love the telephone extension at audioquest of the guy who’s job title is Ethernet cable listener.

Does anyone remember those telephone prank call albums? Someone should do an audiophile version contacting various manufacturers.

We can do a group buy and release it on quantum treated 15ips tape.

You could phone him and ask him if the Ethernet cable your using on your IP phone is connected in the right direction.

Joined 2014
Paid Member

I read a review of one of their 'demo's' at a hifi show. They carefully tell the assembled throng what they are going to hear with each cable upgrade. Very clever manipulation of the audience. Of course the reviewers lap it up.

I think the answer is yes... and that is unfortunate. I actually let out a sigh when I read that. Also, it means our conversion rate is zero!

Just consider the bazillion dollars in hi-fi and test rigs floating around here, with the best minds across the planet posting day and night and toiling in LTSpice in order to squeeze that last smidgen of clarity to crank Huey Lewis and the News at 11!

I think there’s a couple of koans in there to unpack.

Does Huey have Hi-Fi nature? No.

You could phone him and ask him if the Ethernet cable your using on your IP phone is connected in the right direction.

I need the model that makes my emails sound friendlier to the recipient... Because somewhere in the playback chain between my computer and theirs this weird thing happens where it sounds more like a Louis CK standup routine.

Give It a Second | Louis C.K. Video | Comedy Central Stand-Up

I’ve thought about writing a script that injects upbeat, business-minded / teamwork oriented positive adjectives at certain intervals. It would be genius if it worked well but I figured that beta testing would be extremely hazardous.

The Booster ( Ground Box ) with a function of noise reduction: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Product features
ground box
power conditioner
EMI filter
signal noise reduction

Product description
There are a lot of noises on the power line. It is caused by connecting ground on audio equipment and protective ground together. Noises goes in and out of the audio equipment and household appliances. All of these problems pollute the power line. The noises can flow from dishwashers, laundry machines to your stereo set because they all connect on the same power line. These appliances often generate very high voltage noises that have profound influence on the sound reproduction systme. Moreover, noise from outside, e.g. electromagnetic radiation, is absorbed by the metal enclosure of CD transport / TV. However, the noise from outside can not be transmitted into earth ground via the transformer of CD transport. The noise from inside, e.g. digital to analog circuit, can be transmitted only into earth ground via the transformer. GLABOX Audio's The Booster is designed to absorb the noises from outside. The noise is stored in the Noise Storage Tank first and is removed from CD player /TV very rapidly. Obsidian can absorb the noises from the Noise Storage Tank and release the capacity of the tank. you can see the animation: YouTube ; Glabox Audio website: http://cyrilliu.myds.me/wordpress/

I have listened to different versions of this concept, it seems to clean up sound in a good way, although I suspect not due to the reasons mentioned since I see it used where there is no actual ground lines in the building, just among the audio equipment. I have do not personally have it in my system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.