Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>

I am sure the end effect is pleasant but this is no more something I would have in the house than a cable lifter or bybee.

100% with you there.. I live in an Apple free zone these days. My wife though still has my old first gen iPod, which IMHO despite the lack of support for any lossless format was I think the best sounding iPod made.

Scott, you are light years ahead of me on the TV thing, I still am running analog sets connected to sat receivers. Mine in particular was made in the previous century. :D Continues to serve adequately for the moment.

You guys might find this naive. One Christmas as a gift my son ripped our bins of DVD's, etc. to a 4T Drive and set up an old desktop with a stripped down Linux install to play them all. We accidentally brought the drive to Florida and just plugged it into the USB port of the TV here to see what happens. I'm so behind my TV at home only shows side shows of JPEG's off the USB.

The LG Smart TV seems to have all the decoders built in and plays everything, I would never want anymore features than this.

I had some friends traveling in Thailand who wanted to catch the Game of Thrones Finale, but it was almost impossible to find on a TV there.

So they set up a Plex client on their tablet and where able to stream it from my home in Florida.

Absurd? A bit, yeah. But also nice to be able to access your libraries at home from anywhere in the world on pretty much any device with an internet connection.

To me that’s simple. To others that’s ridiculous.

Also I have quite a few years ahead of me before I can be a set in my ways curmudgeon. I am, however, really looking forward to it.

ScottJoplin:

You’re asking the wrong guy about Weather Report! I have none in my collection to give you any insights. They’re jazz fusion? Herbie, Mahavishnu or Miles’ on the corner period or later then might be a good place to start.

YouTube

If you want a completely out there answer you haven’t heard before, The Grodeck Whipperjenny, maybe?

YouTube

Last edited:
You can read more than liner notes in Plex, also band biographies, explore similar artists, see photos and see connections in genre, musicians, or other similarities between other items in your collection.
Ah, I misunderstood. Where does it get this information? Couldn't you make it think you had some Weather Report in your collection and see if it came up with similar artists?

How long will it be before some company markets laser trimmed cryo treated rubinium tubed interconnects, so those random photons are encoded with audio information, and emerge in neatly organised triplets, at a mere 3000 kilometres per second?
Pretty interesting stuff happening at MIT these days. Crystal light may be possible.

Ah, I misunderstood. Where does it get this information? Couldn't you make it think you had some Weather Report in your collection and see if it came up with similar artists?

It uses algorithms, scrapes the web, analyzes other content in your library, pulls data from listener tastes who agree to provide data feedback to the provider.... then I imagine as time goes on its reviewed and cleaned up by human staff.

The longer these services are out the more intelligent and precise they are becoming.

Yes I can.

Return to Forever, Jaco Pastorius, Billy Cobham, Chick Corea Electrik Band, Joe Zawinul, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Luc Ponty, The Brecker Brothers, Stanley Clark, Pat Metheny Group, Allan Holdsworth, Yellowjackets, Brand X, Al Di Meola, Victor Wooten

Looks about right.

Recommendations for similar artists may not just mean they come from same genre / style but also sharing personnel, record label, et al.

Last edited:
ScottJoplin:
You’re asking the wrong guy about Weather Report! I have none in my collection to give you any insights. They’re jazz fusion?

I'm a bit surprised to be honest, I would have thought early WR would have been a logical step from Sun Ra, how many of his albums in your collection? They went through a number of changes, not just fusion Weather Report - Wikipedia

1000$ network cables. Nothing new but the marketing should have been illegal. At least in many countries it is.
RJ/E Ethernet

DIRECTIONALITY: All audio cables are directional. The correct direction is determined by listening to every batch of metal conductors used in every AudioQuest audio cable. Arrows are clearly marked on the connectors to ensure superior sound quality. For best results have the arrow pointing in the direction of the flow of music. For example, NAS to Router, Router to Network Player.

To be honest I never gave them much of a chance. I threw on one side of a later period album that I grabbed for a quarter and it didn’t do it for me. Maybe I was too biased. I like Herbie Hancock and Miles and the more straightforward funky stuff but a lot of the jazz fusion stuff feels just kind of dated and hokey to me.

Also, I didn’t grow up in this era so I did not develop my tastes in a linear way.

I went more in the BYG/Actuel, FMP and Black Saint records direction if you are familiar.

I found Alice Coltrane before John Coltrane. I listened to John Coltrane’s later period before his early period. I listened to Yoko Ono records before John Lennon’s solo work. So, logical steps is not my forte in this department.

Mostly it was due to a musical mentor of sorts loaning me these records and it went from there.

Not that I don’t appreciate My Favorite Things, or can’t get behind Stan Getz or Duke. I also am big on John and George’s solo stuff. I’m just illustrating the trajectory.

Last edited:
I imagine most people discover music in a very similar and random way, at least to begin with, they hear whatever they are being exposed to. Then if they are interested enough they may want to learn more by travelling back in time and also other places. I find the internet absolutely fantastic for this, it's about all I use it for.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
pico de gallo

everything sounds better since I started making salsa with these

Attachments

• IMG_9557.jpg
    IMG_9557.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 188
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
One Christmas as a gift my son ripped our bins of DVD's, etc. to a 4T Drive and set up an old desktop with a stripped down Linux install to play them all.

Its a shame that ripping DVD's and Bluray discs is illegal though. But they'll never find out, its an act you do in your house without having to use the internet. Backing up or Copying CD's is legal though and sharing it with your family is legal but any further than that its not. Because CD's have no copy protection and there is fair use laws there for putting a copy of a cd onto a smartphone or computer.

But its entirely different for DVD's and Bluray discs, to copy those to a hard drive you have to crack encryption on them and that is highly illegal.

Though they expect to change that sometime soon, the soon is never near.

I wouldn't take it through an airport. I'm concerned mostly about them confiscating it.

Format Shifting In Australia: What Can You Legally Do With 'Your' Content? | Lifehacker Australia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.