Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Did it enhance the female visitors? Pyramid power was hugely popular, back in the day.
I dunno, man... We ingested a LOT of illicit substances over there (with no control group to speak of, heh). I'm afraid the test data was kinda skewed. What a fun hangout though - always something going on at Reet's place.

Credited with improving seed germination, prolonging battery life, and sharpening razor blades.
A mind is a terrible thing. :p And a group of them can be downright embarrassing sometimes.

My Dad bought a pyramid to sharpen his razor blades, I can still hear my Mum shouting at him 'idiot' (they didn't swear back then). :)

I actually have a book talking about pyramids that mention this feature, but I recall it maintains sharpness rather than sharpen. Since I use a different method, there was no need to explore personally. Interesting through.

billshurv said:
Prof Jim is a nice change from Ubiquitous Cox, but the over dumbing down on horizon since the early 90s means you get 5 mins of interesting out of 45 mins of programming.
The frustrating thing about modern science programmes on TV is that someone who knows (or knew) the science being described/demonstrated can have significant trouble identifying exactly what effect is being described/demonstrated. Last week he did a laser experiment to test Bell's inequality but all we got by way of explanation was a silly card game played against a demon. As a result these programmes are useless for everyone; I suppose they are just intended to be mindless entertainment yet ticking the 'science box' for a public service broadcaster.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I do understand that and I have read that there are continual arguments between the directors and the scientists to try and get more science in. His series on electromagnetism at least had a blackboard with Maxwell's equations on.

As anything quantum can only be properly explained with mathematics they are on a losing run. It's best as a pointer to where some cutting edge research is being done that one can then go off and google for.

Aside: They have been doing some '40 years of' horizon programmes showing how ideas have changed. Watching academics over the deacdes try and explain general relativity with a sheet of elastic in front of the camera was very amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.