Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember hearing Richard Feynman being interviewed by John Maddox on BBC Radio 3 "Scientifically Speaking" about 45 years ago. At first RF pitched his answers firmly at the populist level, but then JM asked a subsidiary question which was aimed at a higher level (I believe he was editor of 'Nature' at that time). You could almost hear the surprise in RF's voice and cogs whirring as he changed gear and started to speak at a level which was meaningful to scientists.

No chance of that happening nowadays (except possibly with Melvyn Bragg on Radio 4). BBC TV would only be interested in his bongo playing, and ITV probably has never heard of him.

Last edited:
I can imagine maximizing the difference between bit identical files is a tough job.
I got the ingredients I need a week ago and a quick listening in the analog domain confirms previous findings.

I'm now back in the entertainment industry as full time tech for a stage lighting company, doing hire stock repairs/maintenance and cash/warranty repairs.
A local audio hire company is screaming for a tech so it looks like I'll be doing their stuff too....all good.
Add to that big extra hours doing crewing work all the way up to new years and I have not made the time, I also need to go for a long drive to get bits out of storage so I can build the pair of cables.
So, the online experiment is going to happen just not quite yet, sorry about that.

The differences between the files stored on my phone are relatively subtle however all trialists have described the differences with close correlation.
I have dabbled with deliberately 'flavoring' the sound by varying the ingredients mixture, and in this experiment I intend to and expect to cause disturbing and fatiguing sound as strong contrast to the so far universally preferred 'corrected' sound.
I will then upload to Dropbox and then download to other than home locations and PCs and see what I get.
Based on previous trials, the files should retain the relative differences and in such case I will let it be known and we can proceed with the test.
Should the outcome be positive detection and description of differences, times ahead will be interesting indeed.

Dan.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
You do know that was a repeat? I saw that last year. Prof Jim is a nice change from Ubiquitous Cox, but the over dumbing down on horizon since the early 90s means you get 5 mins of interesting out of 45 mins of programming.

Yes... Cox seems very good at "and to show this we need to be in a desert in Namibia" - useless demonstration follows... Some simple graphics would be far clearer. Next scene is Australia... Etc... And so he sees the world at our expense.

I still miss James Burke.

Status
Not open for further replies.