Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try listening to a person singing one foot from your ears, then listen to the same person singing 10 feet from your ears. Notice the difference? Speakers with more drivers make it sound like the person is singing too close to you which give a large image impression of a sound source direction.
Now listen to an instrument, for example, a cello. In lots of systems, the distance perception will change with frequency, but in a real environment, it will most likely not. Systems with more drivers will creat that kind of shifting impression.

Try listening to a person singing one foot from your ears, then listen to the same person singing 10 feet from your ears. Notice the difference? Speakers with more drivers make it sound like the person is singing too close to you...

It sounds like you want the attenuation with distance behavior of a point source. To approximate that with a line source, it might be done by delaying off center drivers to roughly create more of a spherical wavefront.

I’d like to listen to one commercially designed speaker that has good image focus. If you can name a pair, I will keep my ears open for opportunities to give it a try.

Sorry, I currently only know two commercially designed (I take that being the kind where you walk into a store and buy them ready to be hooked up) pairs of speakers and both were so bad thinking about 'image focus' didn't happen.

Last edited:
Some horns I have listened to seem nice, and do have some of the qualities I am looking for, but integration with the bass were not really so well. Maybe with some DSP, this could be solved, but I am not about to spend money to get another expensive price of stuff that the manufacturer cannot fully explain. And I do ask lots of questions, depending on what I hear.

Direct. Compression does not cover a wide enough bandwidth for flexible selection of crossover points.
Getting the cone shape close, but trying to fit an appropriate surround so that these will match up is as confusing as hell, not to mention the lack of data from parts suppliers. It almost looks like custom designed surround and material will be necessary.

Last edited:
for flexible selection of crossover points.

Maybe it's worth revisiting that idea and thinking about where crossover points hurt what you are after the least and then pick or construct drivers accordingly.

This is just a personal preference and anecdotal but I have good experiences doing things like using a 10" mid driver that starts rolling off gently at 5k and giving it a 6dB low pass that turns into a 12dB combined with that rolloff.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some horns I have listened to seem nice, and do have some of the qualities I am looking for, but integration with the bass were not really so well. Maybe with some DSP, this could be solved, but I am not about to spend money to get another expensive price of stuff that the manufacturer cannot fully explain. And I do ask lots of questions, depending on what I hear.

The acoustics is a good example where it all comes together awesomely.

Jan

An inherent problem of almost all speakers with horns or large waveguides is that the center to center distance between the drivers is too large. This shows up in the vertical polar and in the power response. Also the M2 appears to suffer from it, judging from the power response information provided by Harman.

The result is a very narrow vertical listening window (on top of the rather constrained horizontal listening window). This is acknowledged by JBL in its M2 brochure.

This topology is thus far removed from being a point source, so I can understand where Soongsc is coming from with his remarks about imaging.

Hm, I just had a look at that M2 monitor. It is a rather pedestrian concept and I see where the issues are coming from. It might be way easier to build a three way using a big horn covering 450Hz to 5k (wide range but possible) mount a tweeter in the center of that horn and build a bass horn or slot loaded baffle to cover 20 to 450.

An inherent problem of almost all speakers with horns or large waveguides is that the center to center distance between the drivers is too large. This shows up in the vertical polar and in the power response. Also the M2 appears to suffer from it, judging from the power response information provided by Harman.

The result is a very narrow vertical listening window (on top of the rather constrained horizontal listening window). This is acknowledged by JBL in its M2 brochure.

This topology is thus far removed from being a point source, so I can understand where Soongsc is coming from with his remarks about imaging.

I take the controlled dispersion as a plus in my home made Onkens.
I don't care much for room reflections, and chose crossover points to have my 15" woofer beam a little, to match the pattern of my midrange horn better.
I've also abandoned 1st or 2nd order filters, and found 3rd orders sound best in my room, for driver output coherence.
Horns work well, its easy to get them soundin good, but its hard to get them sounding really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.