Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
That explains why my water is sluggish and thin tasting, lacking depth of flavour and sparkle, that would raise it above your average H2O, though I think silver plated copper pipes would give the best overall taste, not as sparkly and bright as water from silver pipes, but still a great leap forward from just plain normal copper piping:)

heyyy, some of us can change. I used to fret on how much green ink I put on the edges of my CDs. :eek:

I finally got down off the ledge some time ago. :D

Hay I use to use a green marker not paint. I also heard a demo with a product years ago called the bedeni if I remeber the name and spelling right? Would take the static out of your cd's? How about the green felt dots you would put on the wall or on your speaker boxes to help with time smear. N.S.

Depends. Do you have data? Measurements or ears-only listening tests? If so, no rationalist will peep. If not, expect some pretty direct questions.

Yesterday I got some results. I soldered my invention to 2 inputs of an op amp in a CD player. Left the other op amp (left channel) alone. THD was reduced for low level signals, especially around the 1kHZ mark. I used a test CD so only had -60db signals for 100Hz, 1000Hz, 3500Hz and 10,000Hz.

THD was reduced from about 9% to 5.5% for -60db 1,000Hz. Other results not so impressive! The general reslut is that THD is reduced for low level signals around 1000Hz and 3500Hz. Couldn't test for other frequencies, limited to what test CD has to offer.

Putting invention in other places may give better measurements... more work!

It certainly sounds good on the op amp. I don't want to get into the whole measurements versus sound quality debate. I think it sounds better than the test measurements would suggest.

"pretty direct questions"??? I'm not giving away my invention!:D

My invention can be used in all kinds of places. I've also used it on the TDA1543 and gainclone. More work required to get measurements on these. I might be as well just buying another 2nd hand CD player and modding from scratch just to get the measurements!

ADMC007 said:
Yesterday I got some results.
In post 234 I said
DF96 said:
Three options occur to me:
1. this is pure snake oil, although you may sincerely believe in it
2. this is just a spoof; you don't really expect us to believe it
3. you, like Einstein and other geniuses, have the ability to invent a whole new theory and then solve problems in it just by pure thought
Which is it?
I guess option 2 may have just been eliminated. Nobody keeps up a spoof this long.

I could add a fourth option:
4. measurement errors/confusion - you are 'measuring' your instruments and setup rather than your magic pucks.

Ah, I was talking about the opposite: committing a digital master to vinyl. Would the supposed digital distortion still be audible when played back from the vinyl?

In the vast majority of cases, definitely.

a typical digital output has noise and distortion of -100dB, say

Do you understand that anything over a 90db figure is about at the maximum recordable level at midband and is barely attainable on a CD? Try 20 - 60db perhaps. That doesn't even account for induced RF noise which affects SS electronics negatively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.