Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Could it be that whatever chemical product was used to dye the sheathing somehow corrodes the top layer of the wire?

Ciao, ;)
dyes no . Back in the 80s some of the clear plastic speaker wire did go green but that was the plastic reacting with the copper not dye. So what is the process that carbon is bad for the sound when Black gates where so revered and where made with carbon. As well as resistors than many love be them noise. Heaviside help us here.:deer:

dyes no . Back in the 80s some of the clear plastic speaker wire did go green but that was the plastic reacting with the copper not dye. So what is the process that carbon is bad for the sound when Black gates where so revered and where made with carbon. As well as resistors than many love be them noise. Heaviside help us here.:deer:
Didn't know Black Gates used carbon. Thought they're overpriced for electrolytics and bought some polypropylene motor start caps off eBay Australia for 6.73$ each Canadian , delivery free . 100uf, test at 101, 99, and 103 despite their +-10% stamp.
Bought 2 fancy Duelund cast resistors for a planar tweeter setup, out of only myself and 5 others, no one can reliably hear the dif between these and a 12 watt mills.
Oh well.
Did have to prepay and wait 7 weeks to get the Duelunds though.

Actually, bass cabinets like reflex, tapped horn, and high order bandpass units will have group delays. That's why I prefer front loaded horns and sealed boxes.

jn

Sealed boxes have group delay as well, just less than br.

I really wonder to what extent this is audible.

The problem with looking at group delay is that it makes the lower frequencies look awful, and the higher ones ok. I suggest looking at phase shift instead.

It is doubtfull that the auditory system codes for phase in the low end of the frequency scale. If it doesn't get picked up, how can the brain process?

The problem might be with ill-designed br enclosures. If done right, br can deliver tight, well defined bass.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Did you know that the first effective medicine to treat cancer was found to be dyes developed by German cloth dye makers in the 16th century?

I suppose those dyes were made from herbal extracts?

Austrian herbalist Maria Treben used similar extracts to treat various cancers.

The problem might be with ill-designed br enclosures. If done right, br can deliver tight, well defined bass.

No fan of BR designs myself. I suppose most of them aren't well designed then...

Ciao, ;)

Didn't know Black Gates used carbon. Thought they're overpriced for electrolytics and bought some polypropylene motor start caps off eBay Australia for 6.73$ each Canadian , delivery free . 100uf, test at 101, 99, and 103 despite their +-10% stamp.
Bought 2 fancy Duelund cast resistors for a planar tweeter setup, out of only myself and 5 others, no one can reliably hear the dif between these and a 12 watt mills.
Oh well.
Did have to prepay and wait 7 weeks to get the Duelunds though.
Why yes that where the black gate name came from. Miles are very good resistors sorry you spent the money on the Duelunds. All of their products look over priced to me a very much what the market will bare thing . For the cost the product could be in a case of other than cardboard mailing tube. :cool:

Sealed boxes have group delay as well, just less than br.
True. For sealed, I'll overdamp as well. .7 max.

I really wonder to what extent this is audible.

Back in my nightclub days, I ran a mobile in a small venue where the dance floor was on the other side of a half wall, all 4 K horns were on the other side of the half wall, less than 2 feet from me. Oddly enough, there was a group delay on the bass through the openings of the half wall, it was well in excess of 100-150 milliseconds. It was so bad that I had to put the program cup over my left ear to exclude outside program otherwise I'd always double beat during mixes. I really found it hard to believe such a delay.

The bassist for Bob Marley (IIRC) loved the khorns and asked a friend of mine if he could use them for a local concert in a disco nearby in exchange for a few tickets. From what my friend told me, he liked the transient response. So I set it up, he loved it. I've no idea what he normally used.

jn

343/7, about 50 meters. That's an echo.

If you are answering me, that is incorrect, and I will explain how I determined such..

My headphone cord was about 15 feet long. When I realized I could not sync to save my life, I walked back and forth through a doorway about 5 feet from the wall. In the span of about 3 feet, 1.5 feet on either side of the doorway, the bass beat transitioned from zero delay to about the 100 to 150 millisecond delay.

It totally boggled me at the time. Unfortunately, my arms weren't long enough to reach the tables from the other side of the doorway, so I ended up running program in my left ear. They were totally enclosed cups, so it wasn't too bad. (I hate that quasimoto look when a DJ has a single cup and tips his head to hold it against the shoulder..)

jn

Had they accidentally produced an acoustic metamaterial? Presumably the wall also attenuated the signal? Or was it perhaps the acoustic equivalent of a transmission line used in the low frequency region where Rseries >> 2 pi f Lseries?

Couldn't tell ya. All I know is it was totally unexpected. As near as I can figure it, the room was somewhat an acoustic resonator, and the energy had to build up before significant amounts of the bass drum content extruded through the doorway. I'm sure there were acoustic impedances and storage element Q's and such involved, but since I was the DJ in a target rich environment.......I'm sorry, what were you talkin bout??:confused:

jn

When did this thread become about violating the laws of physics? I thought it was about marketing BS, like the marketing specs for this system that were designed to pull in the unwary buyers, sucked in to buying stuff due to marketing "snake oil bs" like 2300 watts total RMS output?? or am I wrong in my assumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.