Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think electronics and speakers make a huge difference, but "really, really good speakers" is subjective to the ear and wallet. The sonic quality spread of these items is quite vast.
It's with connecting cables I have a hard time with. I do believe a good connection is important, and that the wire gauge and quality is important so as not to cause signal loss but that's where it ends for me.

Whereupon we can reach an impasse - the person who trusts their ears can hear that the DBT setup is of poor quality, its failings intrude so much that it is a very poor tool for use in assessment, hence disregards it. This who believe in DBT insist on people using it, saying any tool, no matter how flawed it is, is better than none - and those who trust their ears just roll their eyes, go through the motions, and immediately dismiss the result whichever way it goes, because of the procedure weaknesses ...

Huh? Examples of the DBT being poor quality and the audiophile hearing it as so? Weakness? Oh you must mean using a proven tool that doesn't rely upon the person being able to see which component they are listening to.;) I see that in print a lot about DBTs being flawed when the person doesn't want to bother taking one. Stereophile uses that "excuse" a lot so they don't have to test cables, power cords and other questionable tweaks. It gives them an out so that the reviewers can go on and on using subjective blather rather than testing anything.

As a specific example, for me, using Windows and wanting a software only mechanism, the "one and only" reasonably up to date tool is foobar ABX, which for me fails because the intrinsic quality of playback is poor, and severely smears the differences. This appears in part because of the choices made by the writer of the software were not the best, doesn't suit all playback situations - and I'm now looking at workarounds.

The only other solution is write one's own software ABX controller, which could be used to drive a music player of one's own choice.

This is an an amusing thread but there is a core of something serious here.

Non logical thinking is a threat. If not at least made light of or pointed out it could lead to magic being tacitly accepted in other other areas that eventually impact all us. There are eventual consequences of unchecked silliness.

Salem *et al*, was caused by people who might also have believed in magical cables. A democracy of illogical people all voting for a free show.

The more scientific and logical among might have been the unpopular witches.

No fun, but someone has to be willing to burn for logic huh?

If valves were not to glow, they would not operate.
A decent chassis build quality is more than just good looks.

This is an an amusing thread but there is a core of something serious here.

Non logical thinking is a threat. If not at least made light of or pointed out it could lead to magic being tacitly accepted in other other areas that eventually impact all us. There are eventual consequences of unchecked silliness.

Salem *et al*, was caused by people who might also have believed in magical cables. A democracy of illogical people all voting for a free show.

The more scientific and logical among might have been the unpopular witches.

No fun, but someone has to be willing to burn for logic huh?

There is also a hint of elitism and spitefulness toward these poor misguided cable-lovers. Therefore we can all use a large dose of silliness.

Last edited:
There is also a hint of elitism and spitefulness toward these poor misguided cable-lovers. Therefore we can all use a large dose of silliness.

Long year ago I measured several cable for video interconnect. Put a signal generator with sweep function and terminated the other end using 75 Ohm. See spectrum analyzer on 75 Ohm. Bad cable only have bandwidth around several mega hertz and good one can have 20 MHz.
Ideally cable must have 0 resistance, 0 inductance, and 0 capacitance. But someone with no knowledge making cable with high inductance or high capacitance then sell it so much expensive. You can call it cable with high inductance feature or cable with high capacitance feature. You can made it cheaply with ordinary cable and add an inductor or capacitor :D

Long year ago I measured several cable for video interconnect. Put a signal generator with sweep function and terminated the other end using 75 Ohm. See spectrum analyzer on 75 Ohm. Bad cable only have bandwidth around several mega hertz and good one can have 20 MHz.
Ideally cable must have 0 resistance, 0 inductance, and 0 capacitance. But someone with no knowledge making cable with high inductance or high capacitance then sell it so much expensive. You can call it cable with high inductance feature or cable with high capacitance feature. You can made it cheaply with ordinary cable and add an inductor or capacitor :D

Not according to this guy. These days nanofiber is what the kids are talking about. Munich High End Show 2013 - YouTube

Last edited:
It is worse than that. "I heard this" may just mean "I sincerely believe I heard this".

9. "This audio technology was developed by the military for secret radar/sonar applications, so the details cannot be disclosed, but everyone knows the military will never waste money on bad science."

Ummm. Not to wake up the bear; yesterday I removed my bybee quantum purifiers.
It was the day the music died.
Still quite well in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.