Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated my desktop monitor to an ambilight LCD screen, by placing Glen's hybrid K10A in stereo behind it and reworking the satellite amp sections of Soundsticks.

A 6N2P valve costs less than what is currently charged for a dual JFET, does an input differential job just as well, sound of HK line-array dildos (on extension poles to be at ear level) is surprising through a decent power amp, and it looks rather comfy in the evenings.

(Then again, I've got a friend who manufactures fashionable shoes which start at $1250/pr. Handmade, but fortunately the 3D foot shape, pressure distribution, and foot pronation is scanned by computer first.)

Not sure whether there is a language problem or an understanding problem. You do realise that an ideal perfect transmission line would have lots of inductance and capacitance? Sorry if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.

It would be an astonishingly poor coaxial cable which could not manage a few tens of MHz. Most are OK up to hundreds of MHz or beyond. As I said, I wonder what you were actually measuring.

May be it is language problem.

It is true poor commercial video interconnect cable only can manage few of Mhz (at that time, around 15 years ago). I was video engineer at that time. And I made sure cable that include for video product is good.
I draw schematic, PCB, and measure product specification. Of course I know what I am doing :D

Less rational people have a higher chance of becoming top dollar earners.

THAT does explain a lot ;)

With lots of money to burn, irrational folks buy on subjective grounds, and may be perfectly happy with their choices.

Lots of happily ignorant people in the world, nothing new there.

David apparently has a problem with that, so he's on a crusade to burn everything at the stake, that even remotely looks subjective to his lucid analytical mind.

Oh you mean I have a problem with ignorance? Why yes I do. Now now lets not get all subjective in describing what my "crusade" is :p and stop being silly. Do you not agree that "I heard this" is only worthy to the person who said it? If you wish to go through life merrily ignoring facts then please do so, no one is stopping you. For those that want to LEARN, I provide links and objective data. All you provide is "I heard this" and offhand insults.

Sorry nothing you said went over my head, try harder.

John, when I do high end (real high end, class 3/3a) analogue boards we often us modern QFN (bottom terminated components, IPC-7093) with thermal considerations taken into account when laying out the board. Of course these boards and the equipment they are in has to work at silly temps both hot and cold and work exactly the same at any extreme of temperature. So for the benign temperature range that commercial audio equipment has to work, I cannot see how this could be a problem, a bit of modern design practice, thermal issues (or non-issues) catered for during layout etc. Use more modern packaging for devices etc...

RG58 is commercial cable. Was then, as well.
Bimo never claimed that RG58 is not commercial cable.
Bimo never claimed that RG58 is lousy.

He said that some commercial cables available in Indonesia were lousy.
He was referring to complete cables, with connectors at both ends, as sold over the counter to consumers.

Again, that's odd. I set up my first 2 meter (146MHz) transmitter in 1968 and plain old cheap RG58 worked fine over the 10 meter distance from transmitter to antenna.
What you did with RG58 in 1968 has absolutely to bearing on the quality of goods commercially available on the other side of the planet 30 years later.

You expected a video tape recorder product company write on its manual like this:
"Please make your own video interconnect cable using cheap RG58 cable."

How about, "Use 50 ohm (or 75 ohm, if that was the standard) interconnect cable." That's all it takes. We're not talking about 1km runs, these are a meter or so, a 6MHz bandwidth is no big deal. You'd have to go out of your way to get significant losses.

bimo said:
Yes, if you made your own interconnect. It is easy. But I said commercial cable.
SY doesn't make his own interconnects. He uses standard commercial cable just like all sensible people do.

bimo said:
You expected a video tape recorder product company write on its manual like this:
"Please make your own video interconnect cable using cheap RG58 cable."
Yes, I would. Unless very long runs of cable are needed, or very cheap not-really-RG58 cable was used I can see no problem with this.

bimo said:
Of course I know what I am doing
I am very pleased to hear that. Perhaps you can explain to us where you managed to obtain such awfully poor coaxial cable that it only managed a few MHz bandwidth, or how you measured it to gain that impression?

Status
Not open for further replies.