Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Bit on the large side for a small desk, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the TABAQ Box. They achieved exactly what I set out to do, which was to simplify an over-complicated 2.1 setup. Faital 4fe35 with a TPA3255 zip-tied to the underside of the desk, filtering via REW & Equalizer APO.

DSC07056.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I build open baffle speakers with 4 Tang Band w8-2145 per baffle, based ECdesigns' "design". Satisfied with the results I got a carpenter to make a nicer version.

View attachment 1110585

I recently made a few recordings of the speakers, which are powered by ECdesigns' DAC/Amplifier, and give a pretty good idea of the type of sound which I would qualify as natural and transparent.

The Tang Band drivers perform well in this configuration, and offer a linear response. I do have a few humps in the lower bass (at 40 and 75 hz) on one speaker, as a, result of its placement and room modes.
Dear Hopkins.

What type of speaker cable do you use? Diy? Cooper ribbon?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2022
Paid Member
The Niblings.
For the Niece, Niece, and Nephew.
Thanks to GM for all the help!

Nibling 6-port (bowl spacers and radial port idea/approach is from a Planet 10 design, ham-fistedly adapted).
PXL_20230122_222911113.jpg

Nibling 1-port and 4-port
PXL_20221226_184123678.jpg

They all got the little amp in a bamboo box too.
PXL_20221225_000602129.jpg

Dayton Audio PC68-4

Parts Express
30 Watt Powered Bluetooth Speaker Package with 2-1/2" Full-Range Drivers
Part #300-7304
Model: 300-7304

Reactions: 6 users
I havent done research of damping of the back chamber. I used thick felt who goes 30 cm through the horn start. And Merino wool as a horse-shoe shape. The airflow isnt blocked. Some reccomend to block the airflow to avoid midrange leak?? Sounds strange IMO.

View attachment 1133477 View attachment 1133478 View attachment 1133479 View attachment 1133480 View attachment 1133481 View attachment 1133482 View attachment 1133483
Is this the Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE208z? (if so it looks like you have parts 11 to 19 off by 90 degrees) I wanted to build this 15 or so years ago but didn't have the means, but I do now. Are these driver being discontinued?

Your damping needs a lot more teasing. How did you come up with the TL?
I tried my best teasing it. Do you mean this particular design or why I'd come to TL in general? Well, I started with a new Hornresp TL wizard which basically uses Martin King's technique. Then I created a spreadsheet which folds the line and gives overall dimensions. It was an iterative process of copying and pasting values back and forth between the spreadsheet and Hornresp. I increased the volume to get reasonable dimensions to fit the driver. The increase of volume made the system underdamped so I readjusted the length. The stuffing had changes the resonant frequency so I readjusted the length again and so on. Some parameters were fixed from the beginning. For example I set the front baffle internal width too be about 200mm as in many other designs based around Alpair 10. And for the mouth height, well, I just guessed it. I assume that there are no strict rules here except maybe air velocity but the opening is too wide anyway to bother. For now all I have to illustrate all of this is a modelled response from Hornresp.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 21.49.40.png