Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

I know from experience you can often stuff a driver into the next smaller FH. We put W5-1611& FE138eSR into FH3, and CHN-110 into FHXL, all worked even thou they would be happier in the next size up.

dave
Yes, Dave understood. If you have limits and constraints, then it's all about compromising. Maybe my thoughts may be helpful here. I tried several 4" drivers, all fantastic for what they do, but just doing wasn't enough for me. So, I decided to step up a size. When you mentioned the FH3 brief was broad enough to use a 5" driver (which some do), I thought that was potentially the answer.

There are lots of positive praise indicating what a capable driver the CHP-90M is at 5" (125mm). Couple that with a flat response, a lovely open basket for good air and sound transmission, and of course outstanding sound quality! It sounded perfect for the job. I knocked up a cad sketch just to prove my theories and it looked great in the line. Opening up the rebate on the FH3s, was an easy job too.

All this pointed in the right direction. The speaker depth is the same as the Pluvia 7 HD at 70mm. Plus, I gain another 6mm by surface mounting. The FH3 I understand is designed for lows of 40-50hz, again fine by me. (I have neighbours both sides to consider?). I mostly listen around 20-40db for that reason.

Apart from my audio labs, no matter what amplifier I tried, the detail with the 4" markaudio drivers dropped off at low volumes. So ultimately this become the circle to square, as I predominantly listen to Jazz quartets and the like. Well, I'm glad I took the decision because it's really worked out for me. And of course, having the larger drive unit has just improved the sound quality no end! All the best :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A12x is a 6.5” driver despite what some dealers say. I will go back to before any of them ever had A12s, Mark himself introduced it to me as a 6.5” when we chatted over Skype. I will take the designer’s take on the size, remebering that Mark said it was a huge engineering challenge making a metal MA cone as large as 6.5”.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
I've built a pair of Dallas II with 206NV and frecuence correction circuits. Tested with REW and found they limited hf at about 16000Hz and added a pair of old Coral piezo horns i found in my basement. Even my old man's ears could hear it sounded a lot better. Right now I only feel a need to open them again to take away some damping to gain some 80 - 150 Hz bass. I think that's the way to go. Hope my english is good enough, I'm a swede born in Norway. Happy to be a member of this community. DSCN1650.JPG DSCN2522.JPG
DSCN2523.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
The relax.
I changed my smallish floorstanding open baffle to 4 Alpair 12PW, due to much of the music I listen to benefitting from a more forgiving treble than my Alpair 12P.
The sound is fine for what I'm after, but my most careful adjustments of a thousand watt plate amp still activated the arrestors a few times.
Dusted off a matching amp for the 10 watt amp matching the one already in use, and dug out a matching pair of nominal 80hz FMOD lowpasses for the bass only amp and pair of A12PW.

It's a not too subtle an improvement with most sources, even with open baffles doesn't activate the arrestors at my listening levels, and stays out of the vocals .

I think out of luck the amp input impedance keeps things pretty close to the printed values, as a 70 hertz pair contributes approximately nothing, and a 100 hertz pair is adding thickness to male vocals, unless it's Jon Anderson.
The only surprise to me was expecting a second order (even at line level to the amp) to reverse aural polarity, and so hooked up the bass pair of speakers in reverse phase, and the bass disappeared.
I'm glad I used banana plugs on the bass speaker wire, so it took only seconds to hook the drivers up in normal polarity.

cześć one1speed

on sub to po prostu Fostex FW800. Zbudowałem go w rogu mojego pokoju. W tej chwili gra w objętości 2200-2500 ltr. Ale głośność jest za duża. Dźwięk jest głęboki, ale niezbyt dokładny. Woofer jest jednym z najlepszych jakie miałem w rękach.

Ale może warto przyjść i posłuchać tego samemu?! Jesteś zaproszony

Do
Witam wspaniała robota chciałbym zbudować coś takiego na przetwornikach Lii audio Silver 10 możesz udostępnić plany tej konstrukcji.