Full range planar speaker using neo magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DOING MY NEW DESIGN, TO USE REMAINING 6 MM NEOS

photos of my progress so far, do you like the diaphragm photo? Size 16 x12. The foil will be on the inside, epsilon layout, gives more control, which you need with neos compared to ferrites.

Attachments

• SAM_0717.JPG
    SAM_0717.JPG
    482.3 KB · Views: 677
  • SAM_0718.JPG
    SAM_0718.JPG
    477.7 KB · Views: 628
  • SAM_0719.JPG
    SAM_0719.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 612
  • SAM_0720.JPG
    SAM_0720.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 611
  • SAM_0721.JPG
    SAM_0721.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 577
  • SAM_0722.JPG
    SAM_0722.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 295
UP AND WORKING MY LATEST DESIGN

This new design is about 4 Db louder than my red one which is twice as big. Although I did use 6 mm neos compared to the red ones which are 3 mm in thickness. The new diaphragm is much more stable as it is thicker. Sounds good, and it looks more like a picture, and cheaper than a canvas, as it is only a photo in a picture frame

Attachments

• SAM_0728.JPG
    SAM_0728.JPG
    434 KB · Views: 275
  • SAM_0727.JPG
    SAM_0727.JPG
    463.5 KB · Views: 250
  • SAM_0726.JPG
    SAM_0726.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 284
  • SAM_0725.JPG
    SAM_0725.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 307
  • SAM_0724.JPG
    SAM_0724.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
I use 6 mm thick ones for the Epsilon style diaphragm, but use the normal layout with the 3 mm thick ones. I have built a 16" x 12" one using the epsilon layout and 6 mm neos , which was more sensitive than a 24" x 16" one using the normal layout with 3 mm ones. The 6 mm one used a print for the diaphragm material instead of mylar. I used double sided tape to hold it in position' and a picture frame on top.So you could disguise your speakers as photographs.

Hallo Jamesbos.

I want to build and experiment with an magnetostat; ESL and if doable an AMT.
So I read about your work with admiration and since my experience lays more in mechanics then in electronics, I can use good advice from experienced builders.
Having seen your designs and comparing that with an old Magnepan I notice a difference in the way the magnets a positioned. Also the amount of “open” space in front of the membrane seems limited, although in the Magnepan there is also very limited breathing space.
Another thing that puzzles me is what is considered North and South on a magnet bar.
More specific, does a magnet bar have only 1 south and 1 north or do the sides, the front and the back of a magnet also have an north and south?
In the Magnepan long thin magnets are placed vertical.
The conductor is placed in the space between the magnets.
I will see if I can make a drawing and post it somewhere for now I try do make it clear in text.
|N| || |S| where || = the conductor.
If I understand it well, and please correct me if I am wrong, the magnets do have a N and S on the top and the back of the magnets too. The conductor get it's magnetic field from the music signal following this rule :
Maxwell's right hand grip rule and right handed cork screw rule | electricaleasy.com.
Is this how it works?
Now looking at your designs it is not clear to me how the magnetic forces working here.
The conductor seem to be placed over a the separation of two close to each other, or even toughing magnets and even fewer “breathing” space for the membrane.
As I am writing this and searched for pictures, I think I found a nice picture of what I tried to explain. The quasi ribbon driver.
Magnepan: Information on the technology behind Magnepan's stereo speakers

If I build something it is always nice to have a little understanding of the forces at work
and go for the most effective layout.
About your membrane, you mentioned something other then Mylar where can we buy that and is it as durable as Mylar?
In the ESL section people advice 6 um or even 3 um thickness for an ESL.
Magnepan ( picture ) mention 0.0005 which is near 12 um.

Can you explain how your design works, what distance you use between the membrane and magnets.

Regards,

Edmund

Hallo Jamesbos.

I want to build and experiment with an magnetostat; ESL and if doable an AMT.
So I read about your work with admiration and since my experience lays more in mechanics then in electronics, I can use good advice from experienced builders.
Having seen your designs and comparing that with an old Magnepan I notice a difference in the way the magnets a positioned. Also the amount of “open” space in front of the membrane seems limited, although in the Magnepan there is also very limited breathing space.
Another thing that puzzles me is what is considered North and South on a magnet bar.
More specific, does a magnet bar have only 1 south and 1 north or do the sides, the front and the back of a magnet also have an north and south?
In the Magnepan long thin magnets are placed vertical.
The conductor is placed in the space between the magnets.
I will see if I can make a drawing and post it somewhere for now I try do make it clear in text.
|N| || |S| where || = the conductor.
If I understand it well, and please correct me if I am wrong, the magnets do have a N and S on the top and the back of the magnets too. The conductor get it's magnetic field from the music signal following this rule :
Maxwell's right hand grip rule and right handed cork screw rule | electricaleasy.com.
Is this how it works?
Now looking at your designs it is not clear to me how the magnetic forces working here.
The conductor seem to be placed over a the separation of two close to each other, or even toughing magnets and even fewer “breathing” space for the membrane.
As I am writing this and searched for pictures, I think I found a nice picture of what I tried to explain. The quasi ribbon driver.
Magnepan: Information on the technology behind Magnepan's stereo speakers

If I build something it is always nice to have a little understanding of the forces at work
and go for the most effective layout.
About your membrane, you mentioned something other then Mylar where can we buy that and is it as durable as Mylar?
In the ESL section people advice 6 um or even 3 um thickness for an ESL.
Magnepan ( picture ) mention 0.0005 which is near 12 um.

Can you explain how your design works, what distance you use between the membrane and magnets.

Regards,

Edmund

hi edmund, i played around with magnepans for myself and still got some frames, magnets used by magnepan and a desire to order my own custom magnets just like magnepan so if ur interested send me a PM since im in the same country we might even tryi something together if you like. or just swap some information. got some mylar as well if you need any , got 3 uM and 6uM. Btw i personal see no reason why not to use mylar.. magnepan used even 12 um myla, i think it has to do with drive force a cm2, you want as much mylar covered with the coil, adding a **** load of glue like magenpan does helps as well against undersired noises.

btw where ur frome >? im livving in Den haag at the moment (edit,, ofc i am its right under my avatar......)

Last edited:
Hi WrineX
For starters I like to learn where the strongest magnetic field is and and obviously what is the best layout to use that to the max. Since JAMESBOS has build a lot and his design differs somewhat from Magnepan I like to know more about that. That should tell me what magnets to buy.
Then I want to start a couple of things together, at least an ESL and a Magneplanar.
Both are the same in a lot of aspects and it is more cost efficient to make them together then sometime later start all over again with one or the other.
As far as my listening experience and memory goes, the ESL was even better than the Magneplanars but I wonder what can be done with new strong magnets and what SPL can be achieved with planars.
About the Mylar, I see an supplier names “Mylar C” but they don't mention what the difference is with “Mylar” both are sold as ESL membrane stuff. Hope to hear more about that Mylar C or the “poly” from JAMESBOS. If not, I am ready to order 3um 6 um and 12um.
I live in Alkmaar.

Regards

Edmund

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.