Full range planar speaker using neo magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
might have a problem there in the resistance, headphones usually have higher resistance then speakers. so could be an impedance miss match.

The last pair I built were 6 ohms, and they still sound wonderful, as long as you don't turn them up too much depending on the type of music, if very bassy it cuts out the amp which switches off.But if you watch television they are O.K. I don't know if I can reduce the bass on the headphone setting yet, I hope I can, as the bass is really powerful.:D

My first pair were about 30 ohms, I haven't really tested the 2 side by side perhaps I should to see if there is much difference. I like them both anyway, best headphones I have ever heard.All 17 of my speakers in my living room sound great, all full range planars of my own designs, using neos and ferrites, normal and epsilon layouts, different sizes from A4 to 4' x 2'. Although the majority are 60 x 40 mm.

The 6 Ohm one is about 3 db louder than the 30 Ohm one. I have turned the bass down on my Amp by about 2 to 6 Ohms, trying to decide which one I prefer. It all depends on the music being played, and when you have all types of music all jumbled together you have to take pot luck with the bass. Some of the recordings are crap anyway with distortion and funny noises, which makes it very difficult to control the sound being heard. I have ordered 3 more cheap headphones, so I can dismantle them and build more full range planar headphones. I have also ordered a cheap headphone Amp, that can play 4 at the same time. This should make it easier to compare different designs neck to neck, and keep my brain occupied. Wish me luck!!

Have ordered 6 cheap headphones of different sizes and shapes, will be stripping them down and converting them to full range planars. To find out the best layout etc. Should keep me busy for a few weeks. Looking forward to the exercise. One of them is a wireless headphone, I hope there is enough room inside!? We will see how things pan out, wish me luck!!

RE-FRONTED MY 9-1 SYSTEM, SMALLER SIZE!

Showing my new layout, will be building more full range planars to use the larger size canvases which I replaced with the smaller ones, will decide what diaphragm layout I will use, should keep me busy for a little while yet! It was hard work hanging the new ones this weather!!

Attachments

• SAM_0627.JPG
    SAM_0627.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 465
  • SAM_0633.JPG
    SAM_0633.JPG
    475.2 KB · Views: 143
  • SAM_0632.JPG
    SAM_0632.JPG
    411.7 KB · Views: 123
  • SAM_0631.JPG
    SAM_0631.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 407
  • SAM_0630.JPG
    SAM_0630.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 423
  • SAM_0629.JPG
    SAM_0629.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 438
  • SAM_0628.JPG
    SAM_0628.JPG
    402.9 KB · Views: 456
The big one on the front left uses plastic magnet tape 3 mm thick, and the smaller one on the left uses 3 mm thick neos. The neo one is 8 Db louder, but the 3 mm tape is a lot cheaper, sounds good.Had to replace the left rear surround speaker as it was making a funny noise. I hope it wasn't the amp, we shall see. If it is not the amp will be interesting to find out what was causing the noise. Couldn't see any thing wrong before. We shall see, hopefully.

I am in the process of doing some more re-builds, and finishing a pair of FRP using 3 mm thick plastic magnet tape, one uses the normal layout and the other an epsilon style layout , just to see which is best. Have also rebuilt a couple of my 60 x 40 mm FRP to improve the bass which can get a bit over powering at times.Still learning new things every day. Keeps me busy, will it never end!!!???

The big one on the front left uses plastic magnet tape 3 mm thick, and the smaller one on the left uses 3 mm thick neos. The neo one is 8 Db louder, but the 3 mm tape is a lot cheaper, sounds good.Had to replace the left rear surround speaker as it was making a funny noise. I hope it wasn't the amp, we shall see. If it is not the amp will be interesting to find out what was causing the noise. Couldn't see any thing wrong before. We shall see, hopefully.
I'm glad to say it wasn't the amp, rebuilt the diaphragm using thicker mylar, it is OK now, made me realize I'm still learning. Big time.!!!

2 of my latest rebuilds crashed together with a big crack and a flash, strong N45 as well, talk about stupidity and over confidence, will be a hell of a job to separate without destroying costly magnets oh well, a wake up call if ever there was one.:eek:

Wow. Sorry to hear that! Please watch out so you don't injure any fingers, while working on that problem.

Glad to say have managed to separate the 2 speakers without injury and without many broken magnets, the thicker diaphragm was the key. If I had used my normal 23 um material the damage would have been tremendous. Lucky me, just have to remove a few more magnets then start another re-build!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.