Full range planar speaker using neo magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Too busy at the moment trying to make my final designs final and the best I can manage.Have several ideas floating around inside my head, will have to see how things go. I have a re-build using magnetic tape to do. I got some more MDF from my grandsons old bed. So will have to think about various designs, although I have several more re-builds to do with my 60 x 40 mm designs.The magnetic tape designs have worked out quite well and cheaper magnet wise. Still life and ideas in the old dog yet! The only problem is lack of space, rapidly running out. Plus the fact I am learning all the while, improving things by building and listening! Some unexpected some not.It's a big learning curve and I think I am on the lower slopes!!!

Last edited:
which is also why I thought smaller stackable modules could be 'convenient'

by 'small' meant something like 7 x 12 inches

but also means you would have to repeat the same more than once
which does not seem like your favourite thing :D
I have built a couple 12 x 8" speakers but the work involved is even more than building bigger ones, I am quite happy to build only 60 x 40 mm ones using neos and build slightly bigger ones using ferrites. This is the best way for me. Have built bigger ones 7' x 2' using neos. I am also interested in using cheaper magnetic tape having built one about 34" x 18". Which was a surprisingly good sounding design which was a big shock as I didn't think it would be, you live and learn. Still that's part of the enjoyment.:cool::cheeky:

NEW DESIGN TRIAL

Have decided to try new design with about 3.9 mm gaps between the magnets, my son using some software worked out the gap size for improved sensitivity. We shall see, or not. Will use 3.9 mm wide plastic strips too keep the magnets apart. If this is a lot better, it will mean a lot more re-builds and more magnets to build more speakers. Wish me luck, and keep your fingers crossed, my back doesn't give in!!!:scratch::eek::mad:

BUILDING TO COMPARE GAP AND NO GAP BETWEEN MAGNETS

Using 50 x 12.7 x 3 mm Neos with 3.9 mm gaps between N & S.

Attachments

• SAM_0707.JPG
    SAM_0707.JPG
    472 KB · Views: 469
  • SAM_0708.JPG
    SAM_0708.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 446
  • SAM_0709.JPG
    SAM_0709.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 431
  • SAM_0710.JPG
    SAM_0710.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 428
  • SAM_0711.JPG
    SAM_0711.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 413
  • SAM_0712.JPG
    SAM_0712.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 216
  • SAM_0706.JPG
    SAM_0706.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 228
  • SAM_0684.JPG
    SAM_0684.JPG
    576.1 KB · Views: 245
Which one is the monster? Have used all my 3 mm neos, only have 60 6 mm ones left, but have few more ferrites as well, with the success of the magnetic tape one, I will probably build some more of these if I can duplicate the first one which was as sensitive as a neo one. This was a big shock to me, you live and learn or not. I am still learning, surprise, surprise. Still there are so many different parameters involved, you will always be surprised. One of the perks of DIY!!

Last edited:
Funny isn't it have played over 3,000 songs with no problems then one track comes up and everything goes tits up on 1 diaphragm. Just shows how strange music can be. Makes you wonder whether you know what you are doing at all! You think you have solved a problem then this happens, well such is life I suppose. Still have not found a similar problem yet on the pair I am using at the moment, with any other track. We shall see, one never knows what's round the corner.

Funny isn't it have played over 3,000 songs with no problems then one track comes up and everything goes tits up on 1 diaphragm. Just shows how strange music can be. Makes you wonder whether you know what you are doing at all! You think you have solved a problem then this happens, well such is life I suppose. Still have not found a similar problem yet on the pair I am using at the moment, with any other track. We shall see, one never knows what's round the corner.

First of all, kudos to you JAMESBOS, we're sittin' here jibber jabbering while you're down in the basement getting it done. Awesome! But promise us you'll get someone to help you next time you have to move them, OK?

As to speakers that sound fine on all but one track, I always listen to solo piano to reveal misbehaving diaphragms.

new design of full range planar

Am in the process of thinking and building a new design of a full range planar. Still mulling it over in my mind, hopefully all will fall into place. Like to think things over in bed, my ideas and designs usually reach there goal when thinking in bed! Wish me luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.