Frugel-Horn Mk3

buildme - I'm blessed to work in a commercial millwork shop where full access for personal side jobs is considered a perk in lieu of wages. That's fine with me - If I actually charged a fair market rate for my work, it'd be worth far more than $25/hr that's for sure.

all lacquer is sprayed with HVLP guns or Titan 340 airless for flat panels

I have done several small jobs at home with Mohawk aerosol cans - great product, but not cheap for a larger project - something the size of the mMars for your A7.3 would probably take only a single can - but keep in mind it's still a solvent based VOC propellant and true NC lacquer so the standard ventilation and respirator cautions apply.

Last edited:
has anyone some photos of a BB speaker which has been finished with oil or wax rather than veneer? I know you can get clear BB, but you can also get some with dark banding, I'm wondering how it looks once it has been finished like that. I have used oil or wax on a lot of the wood work in my house, I prefer the look to a synthetic varnish.

....its possible to wrap a single piece around the front and sides in a single piece - particularly if the long egdes have a large radius or chamfers. It depends on how you like to match the grain pattern around the box.

Hi Chris,

I know you've basically said this, but just confirming - do you mean literally you can wrap the veneer, without cutting? I thought it'd be brittle but I've only used it once way back in school, and that was an Australian hardwood called Jarrah. Hardly skilled in those days! :eek:

hehe

Chris, trying to bend veneer cross grain must be murder, let alone it what it looks like.

Well if you must wrap it cross grain around a radiused edge, I guess careful steaming and vacuum bagging could work, but I've tried to maneuver around finding that out

I don't have the skills to "fold" cross grain around a 90 or even 45dg edge without splintering - I'll just pre-cut those over-sized with the old Olfa and clean up with sanding block. Kinda hard to avoid the exposed edge of kraft backing paper, but I've never had the patience to learn how to work with real (un-backered) veneers.

Yes & no. Various tests on them are scattered over different forums. Nominally it's a wideband mid; Dave (P10) reckons it'll do a decent job run FR; from the measures I've seen it's certainly no worse on this front than a lot of nominally FR units. As for -3dB point, depends how you take it since like all wideband drivers it uses controlled oscillation to provide the HF output & that is itself a floating point depending on position / distance. It should be good for about 10KHz & probably more with a small dip at 8KHz. It's not going to have as much HF extension as a CHR or Alpair 7, but it's not designed for that, & if you don't want as much on the top it should be worth considering.

I thought CSS has a new dome, no?

I haven't listened to them side by side but I would guess the VWR has a similar response to the EL70? If so, they need a little something on the top end for my ears. The CHR 70.3 was a nice replacement for the EL70 in the FH3 cabinet. That extra little bit of sparkle is what I was missing. Maybe I will put the VWR's in the FH3 and report back.
I know one thing, the VWR can sure take a beating. I've never owned a 4.5" driver that can **** off your neighbours 3 or 4 doors down like it can. Tough little sonofagun.

I have it running full range in a foam core Penthorn with a small hard dome tweeter XO'd with a simple 1µfd cap.

I thought CSS has a new dome, no?

On their website I can only see the planar

I know one thing, the VWR can sure take a beating. I've never owned a 4.5" driver that can **** off your neighbours 3 or 4 doors down like it can. Tough little sonofagun.

This is exactly what makes this an interesting option, the insane excursion for such a driver makes it a very interesting option for a FH that can rock.