Frugel-Horn Mk3

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just a 'heads up' post really guys: the Creative Sound Solutions VWR126 should go straight into FH3. You may need a little more damping with this one as it's not likely to lack LF output down to tuning.

As i believe i noted earlier in the thread we have this driver in the FH3 and it works fine. No adjustment of damping was made from the earlier W5-1611.

dave

The chord length is shown in the plans as 35 3/8" but with 15mm BB at the bottom I measure 35 5/8". Do I care about the ¼"? Since all the measurements are to 32nds of an inch I thought I'd ask.

Since the build thread seems to be inactive I'm posting here as well.
Charlie

Last edited:
This reminds me, does anyone still make a decent HIFI/HT 0.75"/1.9 mm dome super tweeter?

I haven't kept up with the super tweeter market properly for a while & depends what upper BW limit you're using to define them, but I suspect the closest things at present are the 19mm Seas & Hiquphon units, several of which get up past 30KHz, although technically they're classed as tweeters rather than super tweeters per se.

I’m interested in trying my set of A7.3’s in this enclosure. Were can I find the latest set of drawings for theses? Alternatively does anybody know someone in the Netherlands who might be able to sell me a flatpack?

Google is your friend:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?num...10.0....0...1c.1.29.hp..0.12.1047.XQ7j4eJpjQ8
The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
The Frugel-Horn
The Frugel-Horn

CustomCans in the UK sells some flat-packs, e.g.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frugel-Ho...omeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item20d9980cbe
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frugel-Ho...ound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item20d96a5d9e

Last edited:
You beat me to recommending the Frugal-Horn site.

FH3's now complete inc. gluing on the extra fronts to the A7's. After roughly 18 months of doing all my serious listening with a set of Sennheiser HD 650's, its nice to get back to using speakers again. Very impressed with the A7.3 drivers and the FH3 themselves.

HF is a little more dominant than I'm used to, overall frequency balance sounds ok. Mid and upper detailing plus soundstage rendering is superb, the bass goes a lot lower than it has any right to. However, things sound a little congested with multiple instruments playing in the lower octaves.

Lots of options as to where to go next, but main thoughts are A10p Pencil or FHXL, or possible A7.3 with XO & helper woofer(s).

Paul

I just had an idea for the VWR126.
Using two of those in a superimposed FH3 setup (I remember Dave posting some sketches some time ago, but don't remember seeing anyone post a build), and a tweeter in the middle.
Should cure any sensitivity mismatch there might be between tweeter and FR as well as raining the system's total sensitivity...
The only drawback I can think of is the comb filtering, which might be a deal breaker for some while it might still be an acceptable compromise for those looking for a Super FH3...
What does the jury think?

I already have seven properly designed boxes on the drawing board, believe it or not, for various drive units.

BLH? Those are boxes for which drivers?

Leaving that aside, if you are concerned about there being a sensitivity imbalance between tweeter & a single midbass BTW, what's wrong with an L-pad on the tweeter?

The idea was:
- Lower parts count in the crossover.
- Greater power handling, which will make these better suited for the high power SS amp crowd.

BLH? Those are boxes for which drivers?

Yes.

I hope you'll forgive me, but I can't say just yet. I'm not certain they will be released since presumably people will expect them to be made freely available, and that would at a stroke shoot dead the handful of sales I get for my commercial plans since people not unreasonably tend to prefer the no-cost option.

The idea was:

- Lower parts count in the crossover.
- Greater power handling, which will make these better suited for the high power SS amp crowd.

Yes, I got the idea about the power-handling bit, but you'd almost certainly require some padding / level adjustment in any case, & one or two resistors isn't heartbreaking, especially when you consider if you're going MTM with a conventional dome or similar, you'll in 99.99% of cases require more than 1st order electrical filter & MTMs ideally need (IMO) at least 3rd order acoustical slopes.

Last edited:
Yes.

I can't say just yet. I'm not certain they will be released since presumably people will expect them to be made freely available, and that would at a stroke shoot dead the handful of sales I get for my commercial plans since people not unreasonably tend to prefer the no-cost option.

Having bought plans from you in the past, I must say they were more than worth the (very small) investment.

Yes, I got the idea about the power-handling bit, but you'd almost certainly require some padding / level adjustment in any case, & one or two resistors isn't heartbreaking, especially when you consider if you're going MTM with a conventional dome or similar, you'll in 99.99% of cases require more than 1st order electrical filter & MTMs ideally need (IMO) at least 3rd order acoustical slopes.

I completely agree about the extra resistors not being a big issue, especially now that you point out the need for a higher order filter to make them sound right.
I guess it's just the power handling bit that makes them interesting then.

PS: From an acoustic point of you, couldn't these be called WMTMW? (the W's being the FH's mouth)

I hope the speakers are giving good service?

Not necessarily just the power-handling that might make an MTM interesting; it depends whether people insist on minimal filters or not I suppose.

Basically yes -by extension you could say that about any vented box, if you use the term to define a radiation source rather than an electromechanical drive unit.

Is there a realistically viable option with minimal filters?

Personally I would be tempted to go for bi-amp setup with a miniDSP and a couple of good class D amps. Would make for a a very good setup that would cost no more than a 150$ extra over a passive crossover with decent components.

I guess a purchase from CSS is in order :)

P.S: My Silbury build is still in progress, slowly but surely....