Frugel-Horn Mk3

but there's something about that fireplace that makes me feel a little uneasy.

The cast iron fireplace with wooden surround and marble hearth is in keeping with the 1930's house we live in. A modern one would just look so out of place don't ya think.:eek:

at least it's not a bear skin rug - I'm guessing that's in the master suite

Well now Chrisby. Master suit has a Oak wood floor with no rugs. Though one time we did have a sheepskin rug which we gave to a charity shop many years ago now.

Chrisby, I will try the CHR70 over the weekend and report back my thoughts/observations.

OK. A few have asked about the outrigger spiked feet. These are hand made from 10mm x 25mm Oak strip I had left from another project and offcuts from a broom handle. The spikes are Moncor jobbies http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monacor-Speak...omeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item5197c442e7 threaded into the broom handle offcut. Painted matt black and recessed (rabbited to you Yanks and Canadians) into the speaker base.

I made them for two reasons: 1). My listening room has a suspended timber floor with heavy wool carpet and this can cause bass boom without some form of isolation from the floor. 2). The FH's are only 7" wide and the outriggers give much better stability. They achieve both these aims. Piccies below

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• Outrigger.JPG
    Outrigger.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 663
Wow, nice work Toppsy! They look very elegant and classy without being overdone or overblown etc, kind of like the very lovely and super sexy Kate Winslet!

Chris: Awesome, that would be cool if you guys could get a chance sometime to see how they'd do in the new version for a listen :cool: And I totally get where the 126 has it's favor over the 108 in some areas.. I just still use my 108's, so that's why I wondered if you guy's had tried them out etc..

My little room

Hi all,

For many years I have listened to a pair of Needles and have them in a small room at the back of the garage, it is 7 Ft wide and 8 Ft long, the drive units in the Needles are just over 5 Ft apart when toed in to cross in front of my face. The corner positioning has made a positive difference to the Needles, I had them in an 'ordinary' room to begin with.

I have made a paper footprint of the FH Mk3 and with them right in the corners the drive units will be 58" apart to cross in front of my face. I would like to make a pair, this is the first BH/FH design where the drive units will be at ear level.

May I ask for members opinions in having the FH's so close together?

Warmest wishes - Jim

Jemraid,

The FH Mk3 should be ideal for your room and from the 2-pairs that I have built should be no problems spaced 58" apart.

As you are corner loading them the Fostex FE126En will be a fine performer. However, if you crave a little more bass I heartily recommend the Mark Audio CHP70 instead.

best place I have found to buy the CHP70 is from here: Lautsprecher Selbstbau by blue planet acoustic

In the UK cheapest place to buy the Fostex are Ebay Germany.

If you live anywhere near Manchester you are welcome to come over listen to my pairs before you commit?

Dear Toppsy,

That is a very generous offer and I would love to hear your FH's. I wonder if you'd mind if I brought my Needles and Gainclone to make a comparison.

I live near Chesterfield about an hour or so from you, I'm retired so I could come at any time to suit you. It would be nice trip over the moors :)

My warmest wishes and thanks to you - Jim

Jemraid wrote
Dear Toppsy,

That is a very generous offer and I would love to hear your FH's. I wonder if you'd mind if I brought my Needles and Gainclone to make a comparison.

I live near Chesterfield about an hour or so from you, I'm retired so I could come at any time to suit you. It would be nice trip over the moors :)

Jim, you have private message.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm sorry if it's old news

It is old news to Scott & I. You will note that these are 16mm MDF. Not really sufficient. Needs to be at least 18mm MDF, but 15mm ply would be better {i'd rather not see MDF at all).

Scott wrote to him about that and got a tirade back. If someone wants to talk him into a properly built pair i'd say go for it. For now i'd rather send people to those willing to build to a certain standard... it isn't a good thing having inferior boxes out there.

He did get his licence, and since eBay doesn't allow a link to FH.com you won't find mention of it. Hopefully some competition will smarten him up.

dave

I'm also following the new FHMk3 although having no much time for audio researching in the last months.
I have few questions, sorry if they are already answered.
- How the FH3Mk3 with the new Fostex 126En sounds compared to a Fonken 127E?
- A little off topic: The stock Fostex 126En requires EnAbl? I read somewhere about EnAbl2. Where can I find more info?

thanks
HF

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've seen a few great photos of MK3s over the last few pages. Can anyone comment on how they sound compared to the MK1/MK2?

If you follow the link in post#333, there is a link to a thread on audio-talk that has some good comments on sound.

Mk2 FH never got past the initial design stage. FE126En caused a jump over it to Mk3.

FE126eN vrs FE126eN^2 FH3 is, in general, smoother thru the bass, and extracts more bass especially in cases where corner support is not available.

I can't speak to the difference between stock FE126e vrs FE126En except to say that the new driver has tamed the 7k peak to the point where i don't have to add a special fix for it. If one compares the few instances of FE126eN^2 based on the old driver vrs the same based on the new driver, they are VERY close.

The FH Mk3 has the distinct advantage of having its character change with different drivers. For instance if you like a big plummy (slightly exaggerated bass) bass, choose one of the 4 4" Mark Audio drivers and use a little less stuffing under the driver than would be optimal. Want the smoothest, most neutral sound with a deep soundstage choose Alpair7eN. Don;t have corners and want to rock, choose EL70 or CHP70. Want more downward dynamic range, and better staging, EnABL them.

dave