Frugel-Horn Mk3

when I say I couldn't care less about the measures if something sounds good to me, what is there to question?

furthermore other people seem to agree....even less point measuring at this stage.....

reminds me of rolls Royce power specifications on their motor cars between 1912 and 2000.....definitely need the power spec before buying one of those....:D

FH3 - adequate!

Anyone know the difference between a Bentley and a Rolls Royce? Bentley has a drivers club. Rolls Royce has an owners club. A Bentley is meant to be driven by the owner and a Rolls Royce is meant to be driven by a chauffeur. At which point, who cares how much power your Rolls Royce has?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anyone know the difference between a Bentley and a Rolls Royce? Bentley has a drivers club. Rolls Royce has an owners club. A Bentley is meant to be driven by the owner and a Rolls Royce is meant to be driven by a chauffeur.

Now a days Rolls is owned by BMW, and Bently is a Volkswagon abd we are seeing the 2 marques diverge.

dave

OK Boys...

let me rephrase the original question. Subjectively speaking, how will the sound of the new FH MK3 (with ? drivers) compare, in the same room, with my Saburo's with Planet 10's fully enabled FE126's. Room is 14' X 16' by 8' high. Speakers are placed on the 14' side. Room is dedicated to stereo and is uncluttered. Tube CD source. Tube pre amp and tube amp. Push Pull 20 wpc. Currently no sub or tweeters are used. Sorry if I stirred up an open wound Chris.

Not sure which will sound better but from the physical size i would imagine the Suburo would move more air in a room that size. I love this design:

Woden Design | Valiant

I took a look at the latest Frugalhorn and began to wonder how it would perform if one were stacked on top of the other head to head... like stacked Advents from years ago... maybe with two drivers or maybe just one?

Dave and Chris, was wondering as the fe108ez seems to have pretty much been abandoned nowadays, have you played with it in the new FR3 just for kicks yet, or plan too? My 108's have so many hours on them now, and really sound wonderful as they've aged, I'm surprised they seem to be off the design charts these days..

Lets not forget that little feller that used to be one of the star choices at one time lol..:cool:

I'm thinking it should work in the FH3 but all the damping would have to be worked out, so rather know what you guys have tried or would think etc..

Also thinking about giving OB a try, although not with the 108's at some point..

Thanks,

Dave..

I have now made 2-pairs the FH Mk3 speakers.
One pair I made a few weeks ago for the Mark Audio CHP70 drivers and posted up photos on the other Beta build FH Mk3 thread. These very, very good.

However, I have now built a pair for the Fostex FE126En to compare to the MA version.

It's early days to give a A-B comparison yet as the FE126's have only had around 5-hrs of test tones and music through them. However, the one thing that does stand out is the need for toe-in on the Fostex speakers. This is not required on the MA driver version. I suppose this supports Mark fenlons wide dispersal design cone shapes.

Antway for those that care I have added some photos of the new FE126En cabinets and a couple photos of the FE126En and CHP70 side by side.

Both sets are skinned in Ash Veneer. The Fostex cabinets however have been stained with Light Oak before a natural wax polish finish. The CHP70 cabinets are the natural veneer with a waxed finish.

Fostex_FH_01.jpg
Fostex_FH_02.jpg
Fostex_FH_03.jpg
Frugal_Horns_01.jpg
Frugal_Horns_02.jpg

Dave and Chris, was wondering as the fe108ez seems to have pretty much been abandoned nowadays, have you played with it in the new FR3 just for kicks yet, or plan too? My 108's have so many hours on them now, and really sound wonderful as they've aged, I'm surprised they seem to be off the design charts these days..

Lets not forget that little feller that used to be one of the star choices at one time lol..:cool:

I'm thinking it should work in the FH3 but all the damping would have to be worked out, so rather know what you guys have tried or would think etc..

Also thinking about giving OB a try, although not with the 108's at some point..

Thanks,

Dave..

IMO not least among the factors for which the 126 is so popular with DIYers on budget (or playing around with many iterations of various designs) is the price - bang for buck

Sure it's a little rougher around the edges in the mid-range than the 108Sigma, but for a lot of folks the extension at both ends and extra dynamic slam factor more than make up for that

But you're right, we should give it a listen in the new enclosure. It would be shortsighted not to revisit an old friend - after a number of years a fresh audition would remind us of what the attraction was, and perhaps what we felt might be missing.