FR125S/SDX7 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So which one is better? The small motor on the SDX7 surprised me when they first arrived. The 'breakup' shows they are not useful as a midwoofer in a 2-way without treatment and the glowing reviews of the Kepler suggest that the EX-6.5 is a great mid-woofer.
That being said I have liked the sound of my SDX7s in various speakers I have built. Would like to go 2-way with it though.

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here was a test i did with my mods on the SDX7 woofer. Unmodified was in yellow and modified cone treatments are shown in red.
This was a quick test i did to see if 2 coats of the puzzle coat as Dave had mentioned had any effect on the fr of the driver. I then took it to 4 coats on the top and 2 on the underside. Mixing the puzzle coat 50 50 mix with water. The fr changes were suttle after i did this longer process just thinner coats. The main difference was in the distortion. Better results with thinner coats top and under the cone. Was it worth all the extra work over the 2 coats. Well personally i never used the SDX7 in a 2 way. I used the SDX7 in 3 ways. The one design i did for a SDX7 and the RA104.5 ribbon in a .75cft cabinet was for a single client.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.