Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Fotogalerie reproduktor? a jejich TS parametry (Stránka 1) - Teorie & praxe, download - Audioweb.cz

KEF SP1498
TS parameters:
- Hide
Frez = 82Hz
Re = 3 ohms
Le = 0.133 mH
Qts = 0.6
QES = 0.64
Qms = 10.28
Mms = 6.27 g
Rms = 0.314 kg / s
Cms = 0.6 mm / N
Vas = 2, 13 liters
Sd = 50.27 cm ^ 2
Bl = 3.89 Tm

Wow,
BIG thanks CZ Eddie!
I've been so wrapped up with my winter sim-racing campaigns (and helping sort a new gamers web community) that I've not really taken much notice of my notifications......
Shame on me :(
Still, now I can move forward a bit:)

Hi xrk971,
thank you very much for your contributions,
I just built my first cornu with Fountek FE85 100%depron.
What I can say....
Well....
It is not as good as my 2 ways speakers in the high frequencies.
Too much! definitely. I have to measure that...
Not sure it is well balanced.
But definitely there is hope...
Trumpets in Jazz music are definitely brillant.
The result is a very good surprise.
I have TC9FD on my way.

You might have to play with stuffing of the horn mouths near the exit to reduce the midbass while still letting the low bass come out. Good luck!

What material do you have in mind for that? Maybe it is one of my issues.

Christian.

Here are the pics,
Yes, I think, there is too much high.
I have to measure.
Do you have an idea to reduce the highs?

Attachments

• 20140322_205403_resized.jpg
    20140322_205403_resized.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 20140322_205347_resized.jpg
    20140322_205347_resized.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 472
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Usually there is too much bass with Cornu. When you say too much high what approx range are you taking about? 1khz, 5khz, or 15khz? Cornu will have excess 200 to 400 Hz low mids until properly stuffed. Above 1khz can use a BSC like 1 mH and 6 to 10 ohm resistor in parallel.

The Depron looks beautiful by the way. Very clean looking - I wonder of the highs are the Depron radiating out the highs like a direct radiator? Try adding a sheet of cardboard with a hole cutout for the driver over the Depron. Does that reduce your "highs"?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Camelator,
My experience with TC9FD is that it does not need break-in, that may change the fs by 5 Hz over time but I have noticed that they measure very close to factory out of the box new in terms of Qts and Vas. It may be Depron is re-radiating too much mids and highs, or you have an air leak in the channels and it is not developing enough bass to balance out. How did you seal the channels to the last panel that was glued on?

I glued the first panel with glue gun.
The last one was glued with standard glue "pattex" and a lot of books on it. Don't know if I can find another one in Paris (don't know Gorilla glue here)
You are right, maybe there are air leaks. No way to know.
But I feel there are too much radiations as well.

So I think I will try a karlsonator or something like that with another material. I have to find it. Not easy in Paris, France. Don't know what to buy and where.

Definitely, there is hope for me with full range drivers, it is a good start.

But no good feeling with depron.

I just built my first cornu with Fountek FE85 100%depron.
What I can say....
Well....
It is not as good as my 2 ways speakers in the high frequencies.
Too much! definitely. I have to measure that...
Not sure it is well balanced.

I built a Nautaloss II with the Fountek FE85 and I found the them to have too much high end as well - very harsh even with addition of baffle step compensation. Given that the Cornu provides a bass boost, I'm starting to wonder if the FE85s are inherently harsh.

I've been very pleased with both the HiVi B3N and the TC9F.

Given that the Cornu provides a bass boost, I'm starting to wonder if the FE85s are inherently harsh.

I received this morning the TC9F.
For sure, this is a huge huge improvement.
No issues in the highs frequencies. Sound is clear. Good performance.

But low frequencies are not as good as expected. There is no dream : my 20 years old DIY loudspeakers are far better, in many ways.

That say, xrk971 has a DSP for his speakers, I have filters in my old speakers, and no DSP or filters in my Cornu.... It is directly linked to my amplifier.

This is why I can say for that price, TC9F is amazing. The sound is clear. This driver is a budget/performance killer, and very easy to be proud in making a loudspeaker.

For the lack of bass, I suspect Depron. I will build a karlsonator or something like that for my 5.1 amplifier, with FOAM. I successfully found a shop in Paris.

My foamcore requires a little different working principle, as the stuff I wind up with is plastic faced. While this greatly aids in strength, it also makes workability a little tougher. I'm working on a dipole surround speaker, made to mount up against the wall. The drivers have "waveguides" that terminate in a slot- I wanted this termination to be rounded over correctly to prevent impedance mismatch.

I had to remove sections of the skin to do it, but here's a coupla pics. Completed result is great from a "it's what I wanted to make" perspective but haven't gotten to meaningful testing yet. The back of the waveguides go flush against the wall so they have an infinite baffle in one direction, and the roundover in the other. There are roundovers via foamcore on both sides.

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg